Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Insurer for 19yr Males? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, i've been driving 2 years as a named driver, and my premium has gone up to £850 from £700 (on my dads policy). Im looking to get insurance in my own name now, the cheapest i've had is Endsleigh at £1400.

i'm looking for third party, and i drive peugeot 306 1.4 2001

You're just going to get a list of big names.

Tomorrow, phone up Churchill, Admiral, Direct Line, Aviva, Tesco and Elephant (in that order) and see if they can get you a better quote.

£1400 for a 1.4 when you've never had your own policy and therefore no NCB (two years named driver doesn't mean much because you might not have driven it at all) isn't that bad though, in all fairness. As soon as you get your years NCB you'll see your premium going down. But if you stay on your dad's policy forever, that will never happen. You may have to bite the bullet. I did.

ReputationRep:
      Unfortunately all insurance it seems is going up across the board, insurance for my beetle was last year (19yrs old) £320 now gone up to £360 (20yrs) and the insurance for my heavily modified baja beetle has stayed the same despite no claims.

ReputationRep:
      I know quinn take account of previous named driver expereince so a quote from them may be an option.

ReputationRep:
      Would second Quinn Direct.

Was the cheapest insurance i could get.

ReputationRep:
      Elephant/Admiral are far far cheaper for me than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by initiation)
      Unfortunately all insurance it seems is going up across the board, insurance for my beetle was last year (19yrs old) £320 now gone up to £360 (20yrs) and the insurance for my heavily modified baja beetle has stayed the same despite no claims.
      Who are you with my good man?

ReputationRep:
      Admiral and Direct Line are usually pretty good.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by M1F2R3)
      Admiral and Direct Line are usually pretty good.
      direct line wont even give me a quote mate!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wm123)
      Who are you with my good man?
      Footman James for the beetle and for the baja a broker called Volkszone but is essentially Herts Insurance.

Both classic policies (companies do do modern car insurance as well) but you will be surprised what they count as classic. You will have to ring up though as FJ don't give quotes to young drivers online.

I have also heard mixed things about Adrian Flux but may be worth a go.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xc1991)
      direct line wont even give me a quote mate!
      Seriously?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Goose)
      I know quinn take account of previous named driver expereince so a quote from them may be an option.

(Original post by josh_v)
      Would second Quinn Direct.

Was the cheapest insurance i could get.
      I've heard Quinn are just terrible. Check out some of these reviews, 1.9/5 based on about 300 reviews, most of which absolutely slate them.

Also look at Tesco Value Insurance, which is not the same as regular Tesco Insurance.

Churchill FTW.

ReputationRep:
        nobody is going to believe me but im 19, insured on this car for a mere £70 as a named driver. our family is with A-plan.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
        I've heard Quinn are just terrible. Check out some of these reviews, 1.9/5 based on about 300 reviews, most of which absolutely slate them.

Also look at Tesco Value Insurance, which is not the same as regular Tesco Insurance.
        Sounds pretty bad.

I found them ok though as i never had to make a claim.

Just dont crash!

ReputationRep:

I heard some bad things about them - but I didn't personally have any problems with them - people only tend to go on the internet ranting when things are bad so you only ever get bad reviews.

diamond cheapest for me now though - although not so great for a 19 y/o male =P

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by xc1991)
        Right, i've been driving 2 years as a named driver, and my premium has gone up to £850 from £700 (on my dads policy). Im looking to get insurance in my own name now, the cheapest i've had is Endsleigh at £1400.

i'm looking for third party, and i drive peugeot 306 1.4 2001
        Try directline, they aren't too bad

If the insurance is ridicolously high then get a railcard and wait a few years

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by M1F2R3)
          Seriously?!
          seriously

ReputationRep:

just tried tesco - they won't insure me

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.