Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is best to leave and how? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've been working at a running shop for just under 3 months now and I'm really tired of it and wanting to leave. It's only a small shop where my manager and myself work but he's so OTT and was criticising me since my 2nd week which had me worried at the time. But now his constant criticising is starting to knock my confidence. When customers want running shoes I have to take them for a run and discuss their running style, known as a 'gait analysis', and so I have to sell it more than if I worked in a big retail store. But any and every person I take for a run and don't get a sale from, my manager comes from the stockroom having overheard the conversation and says what I did wrong and how that would turn to SALE had it been him bla bla. He's complained when I hand the receipt and card with 1 hand and not 2. The tiniest of things turns into a 10 minute lecture/scolding. Arriving 2 minutes late earns me another scolding with him telling me I should be scared of the sack (although to be fair I've arrived a number of times 1-5 minutes late so I'll let him off there). All a bit too much really though. I dread taking customers through a gait analysis now as if I don't sell a shoe I'm on the receiving end of an embarrassing lecture and so the pressure I feel is affecting me. I shouldn't have too feel bad just because one customer or two says they'll go home and think over it. If I was a top salesman I'd be on the Apprentice! I'm not superman. The time is right to leave. Am I being weak though?? I mean he makes me feel like I'm doing crap beause the amount of stuff he moans about and the repetition of his complaints, but I don't know whether he's just acting like any other manager or whether he's just plain harsh??

Anyways, The problem is I don't want to upset the manager or the owner by leaving abruptly (i'm non contractual so can leave straight away), as I want to use this job as a CV reference as I've been running the shop on my own lately and I need something to put on my CV. But obviously with Xmas coming up and the manager and owner both wanting some time off (owner works 7 days a week alltogether, 2 jobs), to leave now would leave them in the lurch and come as a surprise. I don't want to **** it up basically. But I really really do want to leave ASAP.

So when is the best time to leave and what would be the best way to email the owner to inform him I resign without upsetting the manager (who I think would give me a reference)??

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.