Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e done a little casual reading about the values of the Conservatibe party and I read a lot that they stand for 'Christian Values'. By that do they mean they like Christianity and want it to be prominent in the UK or do they just mean the values like in the 10 commandments and the bible such as 'don't steal, don't murder, love thy neighbour' etc.

I find it hard to believe they would make a big point about those kinds of values because the majority of people hold them morally anyway.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't say nowadays that they stand for "Christian values" but certainly there are elements - the big society (help thy neighbour) etc, but New Labour is pretty much the same.

Most political parties in the UK today hold pretty Thatcherite views - free market capitalism with strong social influence.

ReputationRep:
    I vote Conservative and I'm as Atheist as they come. Doesn't mean I go out raping and killing for fun. 'Christian' values generally apply to most decent citizens.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    Iv'e done a little casual reading about the values of the Conservatibe party and I read a lot that they stand for 'Christian Values'. By that do they mean they like Christianity and want it to be prominent in the UK or do they just mean the values like in the 10 commandments and the bible such as 'don't steal, don't murder, love thy neighbour' etc.

I find it hard to believe they would make a big point about those kinds of values because the majority of people hold them morally anyway.
    Good morals, good will to your fellow man ect.

ReputationRep:
    Please! It's late, my brain has just turned to mush from watching X-factor, and know you want to discuss the existentialistic dimensions of the philosophical/theological ideas that David Cameron, his party and possibly his wife Nick Clegg are in some way doing "the will of God". Excuse me, whilst I find a sharp implement to gouge my brains out...that's better!

ReputationRep:
    Just to get votes from the religious cretins

ReputationRep:
    There's a fair number of religious left-wingers too.

ReputationRep:
    There is a general rule in that direction but there are still exceptions, I'm Conservative but not Christian; Sayeeda Warsi, the Chairman of the party, is not Christian.

ReputationRep:
    "Christian values" is a label the Conservative party uses to make Christians think they're worth voting for.

When you actually look at current Conservative policies they're not very Christian. The Cameron Conservative party is essentially blue liberal democrat.

In terms of grass roots membership I suspect Labour and Conservatives have more self-identified Christians than Greens and Liberals.

There are also a bunch of smaller parties who stand at elections like The Christian Party and Proclaiming Christ's Lordship who I've noticed have gained more votes in recent times.

ReputationRep:

All they mean is that they hold traditional values - for example encouraging marriage, its not for religious reasons but because they feel it provides children with stability etc.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    "values" maybe but i wouldn't call them a "Christian" party", especially as the chairman(woman) is a Muslim.

ReputationRep:

I would like them to elucidate!
    Until they do it's a meaningless soundbite!

You might as well say "Jewish values", in fact that would be more accurate because they promote the 10 commandments without the need to be born again.

ReputationRep:
    A wishy-washy term implying humanist values, and used by all three parties to gain some kind of moral high-ground.

ReputationRep:
    Christian Values translate to human decency a lot of the time. That's nothing to do with their divine nature, because I'm sure people were practicing them beforehand aswell.

I'm a conservative and quite adamantly Atheist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.