Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any fans of The Velvet Underground? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just got into them and they're amazing. I'm obsessed with I'm Waiting for the Man and Heroin. Anyone who hasn't needs to listen to Heroin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcwt9mSbYE

ReputationRep:
    Listen to Sister Ray, then we'll talk.

ReputationRep:
    who loves the sun, who cares that it makes plants grow, who cares what it does since you've broke my heart.

ReputationRep:
    Only heard Crimson and Clover, like it though

ReputationRep:
    Love them. I really like "Pale Blue Eyes".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Listen to Sister Ray, then we'll talk.
    Have done. Quite enjoyed it too, as I'm usually not into 17 minute jams. I've listened to the VU&N, WL/WH and I'm currently listening to the VU.

ReputationRep:
    **** YEA!!!

I'm obsessed with them... they're up there in my top 10 artists.

Good to know some people on TSR have awesome taste. Favourite track is probably heroin or rock and roll.

The best album is definately their debut one. Second is probably Loaded.

ReputationRep:
    Yesss, although only know one album and then a handful of other songs from other albums, but I think they're amazing.

ReputationRep:
    venus in furs.

:sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely! They are one of my favourite bands

Not sure about the best song, but it has to be either "All Tomorrow's Parties" or "Venus in Furs"...

Lou Reed's solo stuff is awesome as well; "Berlin" and "Perfect Day" especially.

Also John Cale's most famous solo album Paris 1919 is great - it's really different from his VU stuff, much more mainstream, but the title track is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Venus in Furs/Heroin

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I love The Velvet Underground. Phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    Venus in Furs surely.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIINY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIINY...... :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Only heard Crimson and Clover, like it though
    it was never covered by the velvet underground

ReputationRep:
    I originally listened to them as they had huge association with the genius that was Andy Warhol. I adore Run Run Run and Venus in Furs most.

ReputationRep:
    I like them a lot, though I don't listen to them that often. "Sunday morning" is my current favourite, and, yeah, "Venus in furs" is just a classic.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I have '...and Nico' on vinyl :cool:

ReputationRep:
    What Goes On :sogood:

Sister Ray :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    All Tomorrows Parties, Heroin, Sweet Jane, Sunday Morning. Top tunes.

ReputationRep:
    I love the Velvet Underground!

It took a while to get into all of their stuff (the change in style after the first two albums when John Cale left took some getting used to for me) but they go down as one of my favourite bands. 'White Light/White Heat' is my favourite album of theirs for all of the chaos contained within it as the tension between Reed and Cale brewed to a head until they almost imploded during 'Sister Ray'. Naturally, 'Sister Ray' is one of my favourite VU songs but 'Who Loves the Sun' has grown on me an awful lot, and I also have a particular love of 'Waiting For My Man'.

Be sure to check out John Cale's solo material and some of Lou Reed's stuff as well, though Reed's solo work is overrated in my opinion, though I am intrigued by the concept of 'Metal Machine Music' which is nevertheless not something to be listened to much. Cale's best albums are the gorgeous 'Paris 1919' and the more visceral 'Fear'.

'Chelsea Girl' by Nico is another favourite album of mine, and it features Lou Reed, John Cale and Sterling Morrison on a lot of the tracks. Though I am a bit unsure of her role on the first VU album apart from on the absolutely sublime 'Femme Fatale', I find this solo album of hers irresistible. It features lots of luscious strings but her vocals are intimate and sensitive. 'Eulogy to Lenny Bruce' is one of the most heartbreaking songs I have ever heard. Her version of 'These Days' is probably the best track and that gives anything from the Velvet Underground albums a run for its money.

'Songs For Drella' by Reed and Cale, an album recorded not long after Andy Warhol's death is another very good related album. It has a very tight concept to it based on Warhol's life story, from his upbringing in 'Small Town' and 'Open House' to his shooting and aftermath in 'I Believe'. Reed and Cale seemed to have managed to suppress some of their personal differences to work on this and it feels like a real joint effort, though Reed handles most of the vocals. It is a lovely tribute to Andy Warhol and anyone who is interested in the Velvet Underground, Warhol's art or the New York scene around Warhol would enjoy it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.