Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite/most influential political theory books... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...or books regarding utopian societies or political ideals.

I would really appreciate any recommendations, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My favourite political philosophy books, not in any order:

G.A. Cohen, Self-Ownership, Freedom and Equality
    G.A. Cohen, If you're an egalitarian how come you're so rich?
    A. John Simmons, Moral principles and political obligations
    Jeremy Waldron, Liberal Rights: Collected Papers

My favourite political philosophy articles:

G.A. Cohen, Freedom and money. Find it here:
    www.howardism.org/appendix/Cohen.pdf
    Elisabeth Anderson, What is the point of equality?
    http://www.forum2.org/mellon/lj/anderson.html

The article by Kinch Hoekstra in Sorell & Foisneau, Leviathan after 350 years

Most influential book on me:

John Rawls, A Theory of Justice. Studying Rawls in my second year of university caused me to radically revise my own politics (I was a Tory party member hahahaha!)

Recommendations wise, I'd read a good introductory book first. I'd recommend Adam Swift's Political Philosophy: A beginners guide for students and politicians.

ReputationRep:
    As with RawJon1, I would recommend introductory books before reading more dense and complex stuff. "Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Introduction" by Kymlicka is what I was made to read for this purpose at university.

As for most influential, probably "After Virtue" by Macintyre, not because I agree with its argument in the slightest, but because it takes such a radically different approach to any book on political philosophy that I'd previously read that it actually made me think. I'm suspicious though that a good proportion of people who read are just like "wtf, this is nonsense?", particularly if they haven't studied a whole bunch of political philosophy already. Even then my brother still thinks it is nonsense, and he almost has a PhD in political philosophy, so meh. To a much lesser extent "Anarchy, State and Utopia" by Nozick also made me think, specifically because I disagree with it so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    My favourite political philosophy books, not in any order:

G.A. Cohen, Self-Ownership, Freedom and Equality
    G.A. Cohen, If you're an egalitarian how come you're so rich?
    A. John Simmons, Moral principles and political obligations
    Jeremy Waldron, Liberal Rights: Collected Papers

My favourite political philosophy articles:

G.A. Cohen, Freedom and money. Find it here:
    www.howardism.org/appendix/Cohen.pdf
    Elisabeth Anderson, What is the point of equality?
    http://www.forum2.org/mellon/lj/anderson.html

The article by Kinch Hoekstra in Sorell & Foisneau, Leviathan after 350 years

Most influential book on me:

John Rawls, A Theory of Justice. Studying Rawls in my second year of university caused me to radically revise my own politics (I was a Tory party member hahahaha!)

Recommendations wise, I'd read a good introductory book first. I'd recommend Adam Swift's Political Philosophy: A beginners guide for students and politicians.
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    As with RawJon1, I would recommend introductory books before reading more dense and complex stuff. "Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Introduction" by Kymlicka is what I was made to read for this purpose at university.

As for most influential, probably "After Virtue" by Macintyre, not because I agree with its argument in the slightest, but because it takes such a radically different approach to any book on political philosophy that I'd previously read that it actually made me think. I'm suspicious though that a good proportion of people who read are just like "wtf, this is nonsense?", particularly if they haven't studied a whole bunch of political philosophy already. Even then my brother still thinks it is nonsense, and he almost has a PhD in political philosophy, so meh. To a much lesser extent "Anarchy, State and Utopia" by Nozick also made me think, specifically because I disagree with it so much.
    Thank you both! I will defiantly read a simpler introductory book first and after that I'll check out some of the ones you each mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Books:
    "Anarchy, State and Utopia" by Robert Nozick
    "The Ethics and Economics of Private Property" by Hans Hermann Hoppe
    "Man, Economy, and State" by Murray Rothbard
    "The Constitution of Liberty" by F.A. Hayek
    "The Shield of Achilles" by Philip Bobbitt (deals with the state although is very war-oriented).

Articles:
    "The Ethics of US Monetary Policy in Response to the Financial Crisis" by George Bragues
    "Archipelagos of Educational Chaos" by Benjamin Marks
    All essays in "The Virtue of Selfishness" and "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" by Ayn Rand, although I'm not a big fan of her philosophy, these are very good.

I'd also recommend looking at "For a New Liberty" by Murray Rothbard which sets out the theory of a market anarchist society. Not perfect but worth a read.

(Original post by IFondledAGibbon)
      ...or books regarding utopian societies or political ideals.

I would really appreciate any recommendations, thanks!

Why not Thomas More's Utopia? I think that's a definite must-read.

ReputationRep:
      J.S. Mill's 'On Liberty' is pretty accessible, and well worth reading.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.