Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I think that it's about time I pulled my finger out and started to write my personal statement

I'm going to be applying for combined honours, foundation entry at UClan, but I'm unsure as to what I need to put in my personal statement as I'm not entirely sure what I want to study (which is fine for my chosen course as you don't need to decide until halfway through year 0), I would imagine that 'what makes you want to study subject x?' would be a huge part of any regular personal statement, but as I don't need to include an answer to that in mine, I don't know how to give my personal statement some weight (per se).

Also, do personal statements require an introduction? And what would a typical introduction look like?

Appreciate any help

ReputationRep:
    (EDIT)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    An introduction as to why you want to study the subject.

Your favourite aspects of the subject.

Your specific skills attached to the subject.

Your academic skills

Your extra curricular activities

Why you want to progress to university.
    Did you even read their post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Did you even read their post?
    My apologies, it was just a quick reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    (EDIT)
    I would rep you if I had any left :sexface:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Are you just applying for that one course? If you have an idea of where you want to go with the foundation course, you can talk about your interests in those areas, even if they change during your time doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    Are you just applying for that one course? If you have an idea of where you want to go with the foundation course, you can talk about your interests in those areas, even if they change during your time doing it
    Yeah, I'm just going to be applying for that one course

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anti-duck)
    Yeah, I'm just going to be applying for that one course

Thanks.
    Then be as specific as you can in terms of you see the course at UClan fitting in with your academic interests, why are you chosing to do this course as it won't be so ridiculously general that it literally leads to anything and everything. Why are you interested in social sciences, for example? What has made you decide to study this area and where do you see yourself going after the course? Are you aiming for a particular undergraduate degree strand after doing the year 0 and why? They aren't going to hold you to what you say here, they just want to see your interest in the general subject area and why you feel it will benefit you in terms of what you want to do next.

You can be really specific and refer to certain modules/aspects of UClan that are particularly attractive to you to show them you've fully researched the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Then be as specific as you can in terms of you see the course at UClan fitting in with your academic interests, why are you chosing to do this course as it won't be so ridiculously general that it literally leads to anything and everything. Why are you interested in social sciences, for example? What has made you decide to study this area and where do you see yourself going after the course? Are you aiming for a particular undergraduate degree strand after doing the year 0 and why? They aren't going to hold you to what you say here, they just want to see your interest in the general subject area and why you feel it will benefit you in terms of what you want to do next.

You can be really specific and refer to certain modules/aspects of UClan that are particularly attractive to you to show them you've fully researched the course.
    Thanks Time to start writing it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.