Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what do you want to see? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, with the joyous news of a new TES game in the works and even a release date (11/11/2011) what do you want to see in the new game that wasn't in or should be different to previous titles?

Personally:

Bring back levitation. It was so much fun in Morrowind and really allows interesting area design.

Bring back spears. As the most ubiquitous weapon in pre-modern history it's frankly bizarre to see a world without them. And make them decent this time, they almost all sucked in the previous games (except Oblvion, because they weren't included).

I want the game world to seem alien, like in Morrowind, the other games were too familiar with a generic fantasy setting. Skyrim has so much potential.

The arms and armour should be less ridiculous, golden swords as thick as a 2x4 and hand-axes weighing 20 kilos are just ridiculous. I hope they draw more from historical examples which, IMO, look both more practical and elegant. They should also have more distinct negatives and positives, in Oblivion there was no incentive to use anything but the heaviest armour and a sword. Sort out bows, even the most badass of badassed badasses can't take 20 arrows in the face and live.

Fast travel. The form this took in Oblvion broke immersion, fast travel is fine with a veneer of reality i.e boats and siltstriders in Morrowind.

Sort out the levelling system. What's the point of levelling up if by level 20 a rat is as powerful as a minotaur at level 1? And common bandits should not be wearing/wielding daedric.

More voice actors. The price of Captain Jean Luc Picard and Boromir could have paid for another 50 voice actors as opposed to about, umm, seven.

Finally, less FedEx fetish.

Okay, I'm done. Have at it.

ReputationRep:
    Ability to take their underwear off? :P

I jest.

However, i agree with all of the above. AND PLEASE USE A NEW ENGINE!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been waiting for this news (and checked literally yesterday, only to hear there was a rumour of it but nothing official), yet somehow this is the first I've heard of an official announcement. How did I miss it?!

ReputationRep:
    I hope there are mudcrabs everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)

I jest.

I've just read that there will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)

I jest.

They've already confirmed its a new engine

Proof!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely change the levelling system. That ruined Oblivion for me.

More incentive to actually explore the world. Who gives a **** about missing quests if you don't even know they exist? Especially when a few were in the utter arse end of nowhere. Oblivion had so much to offer, but so little incentive, especially as you'd be fighting levelled enemies everywhere, making it almost pointless and then you couldn't even carry half the loot back with you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I've been waiting for this news (and checked literally yesterday, only to hear there was a rumour of it but nothing official), yet somehow this is the first I've heard of an official announcement. How did I miss it?!

looks absolutely amazing!

I want to see some more horse armour as DLC.

The usual aspects of Oblivion that were bad - I want to be fixed. (Levelling system, main quest, face animations, voice actors). The side quests were fantastic (Dark Brotherhood, Mages Guild etc) but the main quest was lacking. If they could have a brilliant main quest whilst having a fantastic array of side quests - that would just boost my anticipation.

They've already confirmed its a new engine

Proof!
        Woot, new engine!

Conversation from other thread

(Original post by Madjackismad)
        Oblivion was great, but what's annoying is that they're using a enhanced version of the gamebyro engine which is really buggy and has caused a lot of problems for New Vegas. I'm hoping they've really updated it so it has amazing graphics since doing a new Elder Scrolls with just slightly enhanced Oblivion graphics would be stupid, and that it isn't so bloody buggy any more.

Although what Bethesda game is not buggy (or really buggy before a post-release patch). Yeah, hopefully they've refined the performance of the engine and iron out any major bugs.

And, more importantly, take full advantage of the PS3's power. I do not want a port from 360.

Yeah, but it will take up a lot of time if they wanted to take full advantage of the PS3 hardware since it's a harder console to develop on than the 360 is. I dunno, maybe in the 5 year gap they have been working extensively on versions for both consoles. GTA IV was delayed because of the difficulties of developing on the PS3.

Just a bit disappointed that after all this time, they're sticking with the gamebyro engine. I'm expecting an updated engine like Unreal Engine 3. :mob:

I'm glad they are actually. Unreal Engine 3 is outdated and so many bloody games use it. Granted there are some games which have taken the engine and done some pretty amazing things with it - Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect and Bioshock - but I'd rather them use what they are used to. The gamebyro engine is powerful and superb for open world games.

Hm, true, gamebyro is great for open world games. However, if they release the new Elder Scrolls with its current graphical output, then Bethesda are going to have some pissed off gamers. I suppose if Valve can do it with the source engine for games like L4D...

ReputationRep:
        I hope they take the layout of towns/cities back to how they were in Morrowind, big gates and walls is a good setting for a civilisation based on the Romans, but the old style will suit Skyrim (and hopefully a viking feel) better, which also means that levitation can come back. More voice actors also goes without saying. There was talk of it being an MMO, if it is I will not buy it, the series has always worked as a basic RPG and should remain so. The Bounty system should be overhauled, it was stupid that someone you killed who was alone in a house still somehow managed to contact the guards. That's all I can think of ... but I bet they'll be more.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by G8D)
        It happened like less than 24 hours ago at the Spike VGAs.
        You're not late to the party.
        That's alright then :teeth:
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        Elven wenches :sexface:

ReputationRep:
        Sort the horses out. They just look painfully slow in Oblivion. And change the levelling system.

ReputationRep:
        Strafing animations.

More than four voice actors for the entire world.

Competent facial design.

ReputationRep:
        - All my Oblivion characters turned out so damn ugly. I'd like Skyrim to give us the ability to make better looking ones, rather than all of them having red blotchy faces.

- Less emphasis on cave exploring. Oblivion's questlines seemed to be looking for any excuse to get us into those caves, even at the expense of the plotline making sense.

- More incentive to explore the countryside areas. I got so excited if I ever found a doomstone or wayshrine or something, but I would have liked there to be a bit more of this.

- Release of downloadable patches and plugins on the PS3. These sorts of games are naturally going to have a lot of bugs. If they're going to release patches, they should let us PS3 players have them too! Plus, I missed out on some nice looking plugins (Mehrunes Razor, Orrery) just because I have the PS3 version. I don't see why they couldn't release this stuff on the PSN.

- Ability to remove custom spells and enchantments. I'm very OCD about my inventory and feel uncomfortable creating custom spells and enchantments if I know they will remain there permanently

- It'd be nice to be able to play in 3D on a 3D TV

I'm so looking forward to this game, I've waited a good 3 years for it!

:nutcase:

Thank god it's not Gamebyro! Things I'll want to see is more voice actors, facial animation work, improved graphics and better travelling.

Oh yeah, and the levelling system. It was ridiculous in Oblivion.

Plus, if Skyrim will have a lot of dragons, imagine if you could tame some to be like some sort of mount you could fly to get about areas. :moon:

(Original post by tazarooni89)
            - Less emphasis on cave exploring. Oblivion's questlines seemed to be looking for any excuse to get us into those caves, even at the expense of the plotline making sense.
            Hated the dungeons with a few exceptions.

- Release of downloadable patches and plugins on the PS3. These sorts of games are naturally going to have a lot of bugs. If they're going to release patches, they should let us PS3 players have them too! Plus, I missed out on some nice looking plugins (Mehrunes Razor, Orrery) just because I have the PS3 version. I don't see why they couldn't release this stuff on the PSN.
            Probably the result of a year late release and dedication to other projects. That shouldn't happen this time. It doesn't sound like it is any sort of timed exclusive and hopefully, they are developing it on the PS3 first and then porting it over to the 360 instead of vice versa. But one can only hope...

(Original post by Madjackismad)

Plus, if Skyrim will have a lot of dragons, imagine if you could tame some to be like some sort of mount you could fly to get about areas. :moon:
            Oblivion PC had a dragon mod. Was brimming with envy when I seen that Youtube video. :sad:

ReputationRep:
            Does anyone know if its being released for PC, PS3 and 360 all at the same time or PC first then console versions later?

ReputationRep:
            More culture in the game like Morrowind had.

Get rid of the enemies scaling with you.

More Dark Brotherhood.

More light armor designs, infact more armor designs in general.

Scamp.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.