This discussion is closed.
Ryoku
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Should we do it, how far should we go, and would you eat GM foods?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd probably be more in favour if the people pushing for it weren't the main beneficiaries - I'm afraid I don't believe them about it solving world hunger etc etc I think it's a way for agri-businesses to make more money at the expense of predominantly poor people for very little benefit. Food won't be cheaper people will still go hungry and a small minority of shareholders will be able to buy a second car...for that small benefit I see no point in messing about in GM when I believe the future of farming is in organic local seasonal produce not artificially grown/enhanced fruit and veg etc from the other side of the world.
Ryoku
Rep:
?
good point, but if we could make crops that are resisant to draught, disease, frostect, many countries that have to import food or that starve after a bad season can grow food no matter what, and im not just talking bout agriculture, gene theropy, 'test tube babies' and other things should be considered, personally, i'd love it if gene theropy could have been done to me, to correct my eyesight while i was younger, i hate wearing glasses
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is a solution waiting for a problem.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ryoku)
good point, but if we could make crops that are resisant to draught, disease, frostect, many countries that have to import food or that starve after a bad season can grow food no matter wha
True but unfortunately GM plants are designed to be infertile - making self sufficiency impossible and forcing farmers to restock their seeds from the company every season. Plus a lot of the suppliers don't make their plants resistant to drought and disease but resistant to certain types of pesticide and herbicide - the types which they also sell :rolleyes: ...the whole industry is far too self centred and selfish to need encouragement. There is a tremendous potential in GM crops and yet even before that potential has been fully explored companies are exploiting the technology solely to increase their own profits.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
It is a solution waiting for a problem.
I like that!
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I personally think we should go ahead with GM crops etc, as they can be an invaluable source of food for people. With the 1st world countries eating over 2/3 the food of the planet I think we should do something to help increase food yields for those in the 3rd world.
Ryoku
Rep:
?
again, good point, so maby instead of protestors going against GM experiments, they should be having a go at those companies that are trying purly to gain more profit at any cost, a lot of good thing could be done with GM, but it seems that humans are getting in the way...
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
True but unfortunately GM plants are designed to be infertile - making self sufficiency impossible and forcing farmers to restock their seeds from the company every season. .

Correct. However, this problem has been solved by producing GM plants which contain two inserted genes on the same chromosome- gene 1 blocks germination and is linked to the disease resistance gene, whilst gene 2 stops gene one from working. Therefore, only seeds from the same species are genetically viable, as both gene 1 and 2 are required.
KRaNiX
Report 16 years ago
I wanna just say its not like there isnt enough food in the world, its just that its not distributed fairly enough. Damm yankees got it all
Ryoku
Rep:
?
(Original post by KRaNiX)
I wanna just say its not like there isnt enough food in the world, its just that its not distributed fairly enough. Damm yankees got it all
DAMB RIGHT! AND they shoot nything that moves, especially if its friendly!
Ryoku
Rep:
?
back on topic now, well the polles says that we should be doing GM, but so far only 11 people have voted, nyone got any other opinions?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads