Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Television has ruined this country and made people dumb. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    If by "television" you mean reality TV then yes, very much so.

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=bewafa;28887906]Don't you think?[/QUOTE]

i think "feck off" would be an appropriate response to this.

(father ted incase you dont get it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackWoot)
    When Big Brother first aired, I asked a colleague (I was an intern), jokingly, whether he was going to watch it. He just looked at me sternly and said "don't insult my intelligence".

:sigh: this used to be a great country....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackWoot)
    I mean the invention of the television and all the crap shows that come with it.

ReputationRep:

It's just a bit of fun

I think people have made [popular] television dumb. The desire for ratings has led to programmes that do not allow, or sometimes even discourage any sort of thought or consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thought.

I'm inclined to say that technology increasingly makes people lazy, which then leads to not working so hard at things and then intelligence goes down. A decade ago I wouldn't be sitting in bed with a laptop on TSR; I'd probably be reading a book, which, in general, I'd say is more likely to expand my knowledge base.

I wouldn't say intelligence is going down, as I believe people still retain the ability to perform particular tasks, but it's perhaps true that people of today should know more than they should.

I dunno, it's late

ReputationRep:
    Some television programmes are excellent, educational and artistic. Some are not.

As with everything.

Television doesn't make people dumb, people make themselves dumb through their choices.

ReputationRep:
    I would simply contend that people have and will always be dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bewafa)
    Don't you think?
    Intelligence i.e. IQ beyond childhood is largely fixed, so no I wouldn't say it makes people dumb. It can however render them lazy and ignorant. (barring the discovery channel of course )

ReputationRep:
    X Factor. Says it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have an intelligent and devastatingly witty counter-argument to write here, but I don't have the attention span to read a whole forum thread without a commercial break every 6 posts.

ReputationRep:
    Only dumb TV shows make people dumb, and it's generally only dumb people that watch them in the first place. You can learn a lot from thought-provoking movies, television shows, and the most obvious: documentaries.

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on how you use it. If you use it as an alternative to reading (say documentaries on general knowledge) then yes, you're more likely to lower your potential intelligence. But if you use it alongside reading and other practical ways of learning, I believe it shouldn't make much difference.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if it's making people dumb (probably) but the garbage they churn out that is Saturday evening TV..

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. I never watch TV anymore.Haven't turned it on in months and yet my brain continues to melt.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know, I only watch documentaries, QI, Mock the Week and sci-fis.
    Can't really judge the rest of the stuff that's on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    When Big Brother first aired, I asked a colleague (I was an intern), jokingly, whether he was going to watch it. He just looked at me sternly and said "don't insult my intelligence".

:sigh: this used to be a great country....
    Big brother wasn't so bad when it started IMO. It had genuine people looking to just have a good time and meet some people. Then Endemol realised ratings were better when they threw in odd balls, psyco's, flaboyantly gay people, homophobes and transexuals as well as people with ridiculously low IQ's and the whole thing went to pot.

The first two or three series weren't so bad IMO.

(Original post by Fusion)

It's just a bit of fun
    BRING ON THE WALL!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.