Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you forgive your friend if... Watch

If this happened to you, would you ever want to talk to your friend again? I’m a guy, and this other guy really annoyed me the other day.

We both met and university and got on alright. He’s an alright guy but he can’t half be annoying sometimes. I mean, he’s sociable and hangs out a lot but the massive downside with him is that he’s so annoying. Forgive me for saying this, but he’s very much like a typical gay guy or woman or something. Constantly gossips and is unable to keep a secret. And sharing things is a complete one way street. I’m not saying gay guys or women are like that, I just mean he’s like the stereotype. Although he’s not actually gay. But the point is he’s always going on about who I fancy or whatever. Whenever when they’re in the room. Stupidly annoying stuff like that, all the time. Relentlessly.

Anyway, I got to know some girl at university as well. And a few weeks ago I actually asked her out and got shot down, as it turns out. It’s okay, we’re still friends and it’s all fine. I keep that sort of stuff to myself, but I was down about it and in my friend’s room and he kept pestering me asking me what’s up so I eventually told him, not realising he’s unable to keep anything secret yet. I even only told him so I’d get his advice on how to make everything less awkward. As soon as I told him he laughed and ran out of the room laughing in fact, making me feel like some social retard. Then another guy came into the room about 5 minutes later, and my friend almost immediately told him (even though before he did I told him not to, but he did anyway).

A week or so later my friend tells me that the girl has told everybody about it, including him. I don’t really believe that. I think my friend has, to be honest. But, okay, whatever. Doesn’t matter.

But a few days ago, I received a text from this girl saying stuff along the lines of “I like you” etc. I’m 99% sure it’s my dickish friend, but 1% maybe thinking this girl is drunk or doesn’t know how to talk to guys. I text my male friend saying I’m really pissed off and we need to talk tomorrow. How dare he? He’s taking the piss? He’s making fun of my failure. Or he wants to see if I still have feelings for her to see what my response would be? Would this not annoy you? I was so angry I was ready to hit him. How dare he? He actually came to my room, knocked on the door and explained they were playing text roulette and the girl didn’t know. He was still laughing, he told me not to be so childish and to open the door. Then he left, saying “oh, I can’t be bothered. Merry Christmas” still giggling. Unbelievable.

Anyway, yesterday this girl called me up and we talked for a bit. She was basically apologising on his behalf, I think. I told her everything. She explained that my friend asked her about me asking her out, not the other way around like my friend claims. I believe her, to be honest.

Anyway, should I bother talking to this guy ever again? Be friends but keep him at arms length? Or just ignore him forever? He’s such a massive **** to me, constantly putting me down about this. But nobody will ever know because he’s got a lot of mates and I’d never tell anybody what he did because then I’d have to explain I’d failed miserably with this girl.

So sad...

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

No, that would get on my nerves too much. I'd definitely keep him at arms length or just not at all depending on how bad you feel. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What a knob, belt him one in the name of all things banterous.

ReputationRep:
    Id forgive but not forget.

ReputationRep:
    What a prick. I'd keep my distance from now on, at least on the inside. I have known people like that - who seem incredibly easy to get on with on a shallow, conversational basis, but prove to be completely untrustworthy when it comes to the real things. And what's the point of being friends with someone if that's the case?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i could be arsed to put up with his **** enough to be his friend, though he could be useful in some situations. and theres know way i could actually like him. Depends what your like though i suppose

ReputationRep:
    When did you ever regard him as a "friend"? I'd keep my distance. A guy like that is not worth being friends with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If this happened to you, would you ever want to talk to your friend again? I’m a guy, and this other guy really annoyed me the other day.

We both met and university and got on alright. He’s an alright guy but he can’t half be annoying sometimes. I mean, he’s sociable and hangs out a lot but the massive downside with him is that he’s so annoying. Forgive me for saying this, but he’s very much like a typical gay guy or woman or something. Constantly gossips and is unable to keep a secret. And sharing things is a complete one way street. I’m not saying gay guys or women are like that, I just mean he’s like the stereotype. Although he’s not actually gay. But the point is he’s always going on about who I fancy or whatever. Whenever when they’re in the room. Stupidly annoying stuff like that, all the time. Relentlessly.

Anyway, I got to know some girl at university as well. And a few weeks ago I actually asked her out and got shot down, as it turns out. It’s okay, we’re still friends and it’s all fine. I keep that sort of stuff to myself, but I was down about it and in my friend’s room and he kept pestering me asking me what’s up so I eventually told him, not realising he’s unable to keep anything secret yet. I even only told him so I’d get his advice on how to make everything less awkward. As soon as I told him he laughed and ran out of the room laughing in fact, making me feel like some social retard. Then another guy came into the room about 5 minutes later, and my friend almost immediately told him (even though before he did I told him not to, but he did anyway).

A week or so later my friend tells me that the girl has told everybody about it, including him. I don’t really believe that. I think my friend has, to be honest. But, okay, whatever. Doesn’t matter.

But a few days ago, I received a text from this girl saying stuff along the lines of “I like you” etc. I’m 99% sure it’s my dickish friend, but 1% maybe thinking this girl is drunk or doesn’t know how to talk to guys. I text my male friend saying I’m really pissed off and we need to talk tomorrow. How dare he? He’s taking the piss? He’s making fun of my failure. Or he wants to see if I still have feelings for her to see what my response would be? Would this not annoy you? I was so angry I was ready to hit him. How dare he? He actually came to my room, knocked on the door and explained they were playing text roulette and the girl didn’t know. He was still laughing, he told me not to be so childish and to open the door. Then he left, saying “oh, I can’t be bothered. Merry Christmas” still giggling. Unbelievable.

Anyway, yesterday this girl called me up and we talked for a bit. She was basically apologising on his behalf, I think. I told her everything. She explained that my friend asked her about me asking her out, not the other way around like my friend claims. I believe her, to be honest.

Anyway, should I bother talking to this guy ever again? Be friends but keep him at arms length? Or just ignore him forever? He’s such a massive **** to me, constantly putting me down about this. But nobody will ever know because he’s got a lot of mates and I’d never tell anybody what he did because then I’d have to explain I’d failed miserably with this girl.

So sad...
    dammmn mann thats well sly! *hugs*
    if i was you i wouldn talk to him, he sounds like a right ****. things people do just to get others to like em. peesh. anyways chin up your better off without him!

ReputationRep:
    Why is he your friend? If I were you I wouldn't talk to him anymore, not about anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.