Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently found out you can only have 5 uni choices ( I thought you could pay for more silly me). I want to be an illustrator as i love to draw.these are my definite choices:

Brighton: Illustration
    UWE Bristol:Illustration
    Portsmouth:Illustration
    Portsmouth:Fine Art (the course was v. good and i felt somehow suited to it even though I want to do illustration)

so I have one choice left...either UWE Bristol Fine Art or Falmouth Illustration.

I want to apply to UWE Bristol Fine art, incase I did get in and I don't get into the illustration so could switch after a year, or i might even enjoy the course and stay. Sadly didn't see this course on open day but definitely liked the illustration course. Is this course any good? Would pick this as 5th choice but...

I saw Falmouth's illustration work at the designers shows in london twice and both times the work was excellent. I heard people have visited falmouth and fell in love with it. the pics of the buildings and studios look really nice! And I love the beach lifestyle and not a big clubber so not bothered by it not having tonnes of top clubs.

but...by car from where I live is 5 hours + ..but I dont have a car so by coach it was 10 hours which is why I didnt go to the open day. So its far away from kent plus the beach lifestyle is only really when sunny and this is england. so worried ill be bored and lonely.but im worried ill miss out if I dont give it a chance and it helps they ask for a cd first so you can see if you have more of a chance getting in before an interview.so would be less likely i would waste my time or money on getting there.

So what should I do guys? im so worried ill waste my 5th choice...either the bristol course that could get me more of a chance to get into a course I REALLY want or for the course itself OR a far away countryside uni that could have the most amazing course ever that I could miss out on. If you've ever been to falmouth or seen the uni/course please comment on what it was like. hopefully will figure it all out this week. thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as you! I'm wandering whether to go to falmouth or not. I live about 5 hours away and I want to do illustration or fine art too!
    I've been to falmouth before when i've been on holiday in cornwall and it's really lovely but i'm not sure if it would get abit boring after a while because it's so small...?

But saying that, my brother has two friends who go there and they both absolutely love it. They say they never get bored because there's loads of really nice people and nice places to go and they occasionally go to truro on the train if they want a big night out and a change of scene.

My Mum knows a couple of people who have worked there are they say it's brilliant. Everyone i've spoken to has good things to say about it.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend has bragged to me about the top notch professors that teaches illustration at falmouth and she said she's so glad that she visited falmouth otherwise she would have ended up at UEL. She said it was worth the 5/6hr drive for the open day.
    An answer to your transport question, why don't you get the train? journey will be shorter.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Cornwall and visited the Uni and it is lovely, albeit small. If you think a smaller uni would suit you, and youre not fussed about being in a big city then go for it! I have heard that its a very friendly uni as everyone knows each other and are friendly etc.

From what Ive heard all of their art courses are very highly regarded too Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    UCF is really good for Graphic Design and i'm fairly sure it is for Illustration also.
    I'm applying there!

ReputationRep:
    The Falmouth course is amazing, definitely one of the best in the country, and everyone says that.
    I'm doing foundation in Falmouth and basically everyone in our illustration group applied to Falmouth because its so renowned for being good. Met the tutors, they're all nice, and the studios are nice, too.

I'll probably stay here, I got an offer yesterday.
    Its going to be tough to get into though, they got TONS of applicants this year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

I had decided to pick Falmouth as my 5th choice because I thought if I didn't pick it I would have always thought what if? Plus I got an interview for it which is really exciting!

ReputationRep:
    Things you should know about the Falmouth illustration degree-

No one has a job in illustration.
    In three years, and including guest lecturers, we met one person who earns their money exclusively making pictures. Most Falmouth lecturers wouldn't be teaching if they didn't have to, and they've been in the industry years. If you're going to get into insane amounts of debt learning a trade, learn one that -

a) you definitely can't teach yourself.
    b) pays well enough to do on a part time basis so you can spend the rest of your time illustrating. Plumbing, midwifery, etc.

A course can't make you a better illustrator.
    Fact. It's not like surgery or maths, or most other fields where more knowledge is helpful. In theory you get access to techniques, but the main one that requires kit is print making. During the time I was at Falmouth the ongoing feud between the fine arts department and illustration meant that access to the printing studios was more or less impossible. The well tutored life drawing classes were a delicious luxury, but again, something you can access far cheaper outside the uni system.

The course can give you some tips on how the industry operates. These are condensed down into four lectures by Alan Male in the third year, which is all written down in his book on how to be an illustrator. Which you can buy for much less than the £27 grand plus debt you'll get into by doing the course.

Want the buzz of group learning with the next bright wave of creative things? The support and encouragement of experienced tutors? It's a massive gamble. You might get a year group with people that you connect with, you might find a tutor who truly understands you and gives you fresh insight into your work. Frankly, I didn't. And if the levels of contact maintained by others in my year, and their involvement in the industry afterwards are anything to go by, the vast majority of people in my year didn't.

The paradox is that tutors are people who by definition have given up on the dream they're trying to sell you. Plus they're out on an isolated peninsular years behind the zietgiest. Look at examples of the tutors work on line before signing up.

I know three people who make their living from their art (none of whom I met on the course). The most critically acclaimed and financially successful is totally self taught, and rants beautifully about the damaging effect institutionalisation has on creativity. One found her arts course unhelpful, and developed her own totally different path several years after leaving. The last is an illustrator/graphic designer who went to uni, but advised me not to, saying it wouldn't help me and could crush the joy out of it for me. He was right.

The course won't teach you about life
    If you are a nice middle class kid with the economic comfort and family connections to ensure you're not worried about spending a fortune on a passion that you may never earn an income from, you might consider going on an illustration degree. Most other sane people don't.

This means that your uni peer group is very very limited. Of course there's a great intake of international students a Falmouth, but as they by necessity came from similarly affluent backgrounds, the don't have a massively different world view.

The much lauded 'trip to New York' throws this into sharp relief. Presented as a way of making illustration viable (drawing is better paid state side) students are expected to find the fare for a flight to America. Something that for most people would be a trip of a life time is squandered in a weeks stay. Those who can't afford it are Out of the Party. The group is literally divided on class lines. Four of us went to London when others went to New York. I didn't hear of anyone getting further work from the New York trip. Two of us were offered further work on the back of the London visits.

Maybe you're not troubled by only having friends who come from the same background as you. Fair play, but in my experience you'd be missing out.

Cornwall is a beautiful place to live. There were loads of hot women and not many men. If you have a lot of money and you're not sure what to do with your life, or if you want to become a teacher, then study illustration at Falmouth.

If you want to be an illustrator, just get on with it. Illustration is all about self motivation. If you want to practise your craft at the cutting edge, then get some friends together, buy a ticket for the uni library, go along to the public seminars, and do it yourselves. If you can't manage that then you won't make it in illustration anyway. You don't need this course.

ReputationRep:
    Too late! I'm at Brighton uni now Thanks anyway will keep it in mind and will try to make the most out of being at university

ReputationRep:
    Heyy been reading alot of your comments, i am a first year student at falmouth doing illustration. Last year i applied to Brighton, Central St Martins, Falmouth and Westminster.
    I got into all of my choices except Westminster (didnt worry me because it was my last choice)
    I knew from the moment i went to the open day i wanted to go to Falmouth, as for it being a 'small uni', its in a small place and with over 5000 students in a small town i can assure you its not all that quiet if your worried about it being abit 'out in the sticks' then, yes it is beautiful but the best thing is its intimate, i have not yet popped into town or got on the bus without bumping into one of my friends.

The course so far has been brilliant, all of the tutors are enthusiastic and very supportive with work, the course is definitely full time so you need to be committed.
    As for print, our student rep put this forward that there isnt must access to it - and now we have regular workshops i the print room, tutorials/inductions being on Thursdays and then we can use when we like.
    We also have photoshop and Adobe Illustrator tutorials which are extreamly helpful.

They say they have connections with London- they're not lying, we went on a trip for 5 days before Christmas with forums at places like Penguin, The Guardian, The telegraph, Big Orange Studio, Walker Books and loads more, and our tutors greeted them with a bottle of wine and a kiss-on-cheek informal hello.
    Most of the galleries we went to look at loved our uni and said what a beautiful place it was and how they look forward to seeing Falmouth's Graduate Illustration book every year.

The last couple of weeks towards Easter have been beautiful beach sunny days, and with gylly beach a 5 minute walk from Woodlane i can assure you that you will be smiling to yourself while having a drink on the beach, the walk to college, or into town, or even on the bus because your so happy that you live here, my friends and everyone i know of say exactly the same things. You cant experience that in London, Manchester or anywhere else.

I had never been to Cornwall before, no holidays on the Cornish coast, but Falmouth feels like my home and i cant praise it enough. You will not regret coming here. If you love the beach, sea-side towns with quirky arty people all around you, falmouth never gets boring, there is plenty to explore. It is a very unique and inspirational place.
    Good luck for your choices!
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.