Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To anybody who studies Media & TV Production, criticize the Media or hates Daily Mail Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...why exactly are they in the wrong, please?

Student - he or she has a dream. A vision. A passion. The television, cinema, etc, is a multi-billion pound industry and we all watch it. All of us. So why are Media students ****ged off?

Media in general - All they do is post stories and share them with members of the public. To some people like stockbrokers, etc, this is very important news (the financial pages). To the students above, they need to reviews, learn about layouts, etc, so why the hate?

Daily Mail - Facts speak for itself. The most successful newspaper...in the WORLD. I, myself, am a regular reader. Yes, some of the headlines are 'striking' but it's for the good. It brings up conversation. It sells copies itself. If it was all bull****, would the copies fly off the shelf? No.

Therefore, if the media (especially Daily Mail) post stories like all girls above size 8 are fat, there must be some truth in it. To many people, size 10 girls are fat. I mean it's unhealthy. Disgusting. I'm surprised the Daily Mail hasn't set up a concentraton camp for fat people.

Hitler, was an Artist not a Journalist, and got away with setting up a concentration camp to kill 6 million INNOCENT Jews and you people are complaining about a newspaper posting the heading 'All girls above size 8 = fat', just posting, not acting upon it.

Seriously? Who needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror, you or the DM readers/authors? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    Daily Mail - Facts speak for itself. The most successful newspaper...in the WORLD. I, myself, am a regular reader. Yes, some of the headlines are 'striking' but it's for the good. It brings up conversation. It sells copies itself. If it was all bull****, would the copies fly off the shelf? No.
    :lies::sucks::upyours::stink::fuhrer:

I refuse to take this post seriously after reading this.

ReputationRep:
    Change your sig.... Cher Lloyd is 17, hun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayleeLOL)
    :lies::sucks::upyours::stink::fuhrer:

I refuse to take this post seriously after reading this.
    Excuse me?

The Daily Mail is a British, daily middle market tabloid newspaper. First published in 1896 by Lord Northcliffe, it is the United Kingdom's second biggest-selling daily newspaper after The Sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

I don't count the Sun as a real newspaper, thus DM = 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

The Daily Mail is a British, daily middle market tabloid newspaper. First published in 1896 by Lord Northcliffe, it is the United Kingdom's second biggest-selling daily newspaper after The Sun.

:blah::doctor::dots:

ReputationRep:
    This IS a joke, right? If so, then you kinda missed the punch line.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Who needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror, you or the DM readers/authors? :confused:
    The Daily Mail readers.

Next please.

ReputationRep:

Student - he or she has a dream. A vision. A passion. The television, cinema, etc, is a multi-billion pound industry and we all watch it. All of us. So why are Media students ****ged off?

Media in general - All they do is post stories and share them with members of the public. To some people like stockbrokers, etc, this is very important news (the financial pages). To the students above, they need to reviews, learn about layouts, etc, so why the hate?

Therefore, if the media (especially Daily Mail) post stories like all girls above size 8 are fat, there must be some truth in it. To many people, size 10 girls are fat. I mean it's unhealthy. Disgusting. I'm surprised the Daily Mail hasn't set up a concentraton camp for fat people.

Hitler, was an Artist not a Journalist, and got away with setting up a concentration camp to kill 6 million INNOCENT Jews and you people are complaining about a newspaper posting the heading 'All girls above size 8 = fat', just posting, not acting upon it.

Yes it would sell, even if it was bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Yes it sells, even though it is bull****.
    Fixed

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do wonder what the world, specifically people's opinions, would be like without any form of media influence...

Edit: Not that that's relevant or anything

ReputationRep:
    The OP supports Cher Lloyd, I think that speaks for itself

ReputationRep:
    Daily Mail & "facts"??? http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the Daily Mail hasn't set up a concentraton camp for fat people.
    I agree on that count, that is surprising.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

Congratulations, by citing wikipedia as your source you have now invalidated your poor argument.

ReputationRep:
    Also, on the same grounds that you discount The Sun as a newspaper, I would dismiss the Mail.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

1) I don't could the Daily Mail as a real newspaper

2) That's only in the UK, not the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    Also, on the same grounds that you discount The Sun as a newspaper, I would dismiss the Mail.
    This tbh.

Is it just me or did the op completely trash their own argument (not that that was difficult) by discounting another paper so easily?

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

Well The Sun is still the biggest seller and although you don't count it as a newspaper it still is. Thus the fact Daily Mail is second proves nothing. Although if you researched further you would have discovered when mixed with its online source it is the most read newspaper in the UK.

Girls over size 8 are fat those under it are too thin and look awful, Kerry Katona is a mess, then she's too boring, Muslims are going to kill us all with tax increase. The journalism skills within it are pretty much non existant.

ReputationRep:

It's not even the most successful paper in the UK. The Sun outsells by about 2:1. The "News" is hysterically reported, sensationalised and often at best is misrepresented if not a complete fabrication of the truth. See also The Guardian and although to a somewhat lesser extent every major newpaper ppublished in the UK.

All media outlets have a political bias, either overtly or covertly. It shouldn't however stop them from reporting news accurately. Leave the outraged hysteria and falsification for the comment and opinion articles.

I read most of the major Newspapers on a fairly regular basis and would say that in doing so I get a fairly balanced view of the world. Read the story in The Guardian then read the same story in The Mail. I tend to find my opinions regularly sit somewhere in the middle. Taking all your media consumption from a single source is always a bad idea regardless of the source.

However you can read what you like but if you want to be taken seriously it's good to try and avoid the raving idiocy and reactionism at either end of the media-poilitcal spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

Did you know that I'm the fastest person in the world? I don't count Usain Bolt as a real sprinter, or anyone else faster than me. I'm fastest!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.