Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!
    I have read that Statistics is easy but at the same time boring while Mechanics is hard but pretty interesting.
    I'm not going to study any science, I'm thinking in taking Master's degree in languages such as English, Spanish and Korean.
    So... which math should I choose?

ReputationRep:
    You should probably take stats. It's usually if you're doing physics, do mechanics, otherwise do stats.

ReputationRep:
    For things like Chemistry and Biology you want Statistics, but for Physics you'll want Mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    StephenP91: What I mean is that I'm not studying Chemistry or Biology or Physics.
    I'm interested in language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aylin9311)
    StephenP91: What I mean is that I'm not studying Chemistry or Biology or Physics.
    I'm interested in language
    Then it isn't a huge deal. You pick want you think you'll enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    StephenP91: But then, it IS important that I pass this exam... so what would you recommend me? Which one will be easier and interesting in order to pass it at least with a B?

ReputationRep:
    What units have you done up to date?

ReputationRep:
    Like you said mechanics is interesting but more challenging.
    Statistics is easier but ever so boring.

Decide: ease or challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Stats is pretty boring but easy so long as you remember rules and plug in numbers, etc. Mechanics is more interesting because you have problems to solve but it requires you to think a bit more. But obviously different people will probably find mechanics easier and more boring - I'm just giving my experience of them both. Speak to your teachers to find out the syllabus and discuss what suits your ability/interests.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found statistics enjoyable at times. Then again I'm still doing M1

ReputationRep:
    StephenP91: But then, it IS important that I pass this exam... so what would you recommend me? Which one will be easier and interesting in order to pass it at least with a B?
    If you want an almost guaranteed pass then you should take Statistics. Though in all honesty, Mechanics isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    A grounding in basic statistics is arguably the most important thing you can take away from your education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    What units have you done up to date?
    From IGCSE, Geography, Biology, English, Spanish, ICT, Literature and Math
    From AS Level, Spanish, English and General Paper.
    And for the next year in may/june session, I will be taking Biology(obligatory as I'm in the science bachellor), Spanish (for A Level), English (for A Level) and Thinking Skills.

As I said before, I'm not interested in any science topics (Biology, Chemistry nor Physics), even though I have pretty good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    A grounding in basic statistics is arguably the most important thing you can take away from your education.
    I don't understand... Take away from my education??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Like you said mechanics is interesting but more challenging.
    Statistics is easier but ever so boring.

Decide: ease or challenge.
    But when you say boring... what do you mean? How boring is it that everybody says that?

ReputationRep:
    From IGCSE, Geography, Biology, English, Spanish, ICT, Literature and Math
    From AS Level, Spanish, English and General Paper.
    And for the next year in may/june session, I will be taking Biology(obligatory as I'm in the science bachellor), Spanish (for A Level), English (for A Level) and Thinking Skills.

As I said before, I'm not interested in any science topics (Biology, Chemistry nor Physics), even though I have pretty good grades
    Oh, so you havent done any maths A levels modules yet?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question.

I would say if you havent done any A level mathematics/physics before hand, it is sensible to go with statistics. Without doubt you would have done some basic statistics in your GCSE and its relatively easier to build up to AS standard from a GCSE background.

Mechanics on the other hand is so intertwined with physics-its difficult to appreciate it and enjoy it if you're not studying physics. A level mechanics also requires a good command of pure mathematics and algebra (especially from M3) in comaprison to statistics although S2 does require some basic integration too. Presumably this doesnt apply to you as you only want an AS in maths.

Having said that, M1 is pretty easy to pass. M2 is more challenging. It all depends on whether you enjoyed physics as a subject in your GCSE. However, you could probably get away with M1 even if you have no interest in physics.

Also, if you arent going to be studying anymore mathematics at university, statistics is far more useful for your day to day calculations. You will probably not come across mechanics ever again unless you study sciences.

So in summary, modules that are easy to pass in my opinion are-C1/C2, S1, M1 (S2 is definitely easier than M2). I think D1 is also easy but Ive never done decision maths so cant comment on that. But again, speak to your teachers and think about what you like personally-statistics (number crunching) or mechanics (physics-a lot of thinking). Do you like the idea of using diagrams to answer a question? You will need to use illustrations and force diagrams in mechanics-if thats not your thing, then avoid mechanics.

Hope its helpful.

Good luck with your choices.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand... Take away from my education??
    Learn.

Although you may not be explicitly calculating p values and confidence intervals after leaving school, to properly understand the world around you it's vitally important to understand probabilities, risk, the difference between random variation and sustained trends and how to know when the media is misleading you with scary sounding numbers.
    I'd say more important than possibly anything else you ever learn (except reading/writing and basic numeracy, of course).

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!
    I have read that Statistics is easy but at the same time boring while Mechanics is hard but pretty interesting.
    I'm not going to study any science, I'm thinking in taking Master's degree in languages such as English, Spanish and Korean.
    So... which math should I choose?
    Unless you are doing any engineering or physics, I would say do Statistics. It is way easier than Mechanics. For mechanics you need a physical mind, which if you don't have, will be extremely difficult for you. For statistics you just need logic, which is already included in maths. So statistics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Oh, so you havent done any maths A levels modules yet?
    No not yet, I'm about to take them on May/June

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.