Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If my train journey has a change halfway through, am I able to leave the station and spend a couple of hours at the location of the change, or do I have to get the first train available after getting off?

Depends what type of ticket you have. If it's an Off-Peak or Anytime return then, probably, yes. If it's an Advance ticket with reserved seats then, no.

You can only do this if you have to change. You can't just get off mid-way through a journey to look around.

ReputationRep:
      You can come with me. I will take you. With me... Beautiful place...

ReputationRep:
      Its all in the ticket type as said above... anytime tickets you can do whatever you wish, but usually the cheaper ones have reserved seating so you either be on that train or miss it and need buy a new one (few hours later ofc once you done your gallivanting around the location)

Or plan ahead and get 2 diff tickets, so you can make the changeover over a few hours

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Norfolkadam)
      You can only do this if you have to change. You can't just get off mid-way through a journey to look around.
      Actually, you can do that.
      If your ticket isn't an advance fare, I'm pretty sure you can break your journey anywhere as long as you pay attention to the peak / off peak restrictions etc.
      I've done it many times and not had any problems.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
        Actually, you can do that.
        If your ticket isn't an advance fare, I'm pretty sure you can break your journey anywhere as long as you pay attention to the peak / off peak restrictions etc.
        I've done it many times and not had any problems.
        Yes, you're quite right. I was told this by a guard at Norwich station; serves me right for believing it. Sorry. I've looked it up in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

(Original post by Condition 16)
        You may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) before the destination shown on the ticket. However, these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the relevant Train Companies will make this clear in their notices and other publications
        The restrictions apply to Advance tickets and some other tickets but it should be clearly stated. If in doubt quote the NRCC.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.