Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My daughter keeps getting fined! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is a 1st year student living in Halls.
    She is on max student grant/Loan due to family income.

She has managed her budget quite well but now someone has broken a chair in her flat and also set off fire alarm in the same week.

University has fined her £31 for broken chair and taken the money out of her Bank account causing her to go over her overdraft limit and be charged by Bank. Now she is also getting charged £150 for setting off fire alarm, she was at fault for neither of these incidents and as she has no money now until January, she is fretting that Uni will kick her out.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and has anyone got any advice on this matter. She has emailed the accomodation dept but is awaiting a reply.

ReputationRep:
    wow. never seen a mother on the forums before.

I think the university is being unfair. if they fail to resolve it. start a court case to get your money back. it is straightforward and easy. it costs only £20 fee to the courts and they do the rest. search up money claim online. my mum has done it a few times. I suggest you look into it. just the summons makes them pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jonathan)

I think the university is being unfair. if they fail to resolve it. start a court case to get your money back. it is straightforward and easy. it costs only £20 fee to the courts and they do the rest. search up money claim online. my mum has done it a few times. I suggest you look into it. just the summons makes them pay.
    ...you've been here for twelve posts :nothing:

PinkMobilePhone is a mother, and there was another a while back talking about how many drugs her son had done (he had quite an impressive list).

ReputationRep:
    Give her more money, thats what your there for.

ReputationRep:
    She would, of course, plead innocence. If however she is responsible the uni are within their rights and are presumably just doing what she contractually signed up for when she accepted the accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    If she broke the chair and set off the fire alarm then the Uni is well within its rights to fine her. She probably signed something authorising them to do so when she first moved there.

You should teach her to respect rules & other people's property xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    If she broke the chair and set off the fire alarm then the Uni is well within its rights to fine her. She probably signed something authorising them to do so when she first moved there.

You should teach her to respect rules & other people's property xx
    This is a bit harsh considering we don't know the circumstances that this happened in, no?
    I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, but we haven't seen what she's signed, or the context in which these things happened.

More than that, you're telling a parent to 'teach' their child who is in their first year of university?
    Presuppose that that person doesn't respect the rules or other peoples property!
    That's such a massive assumption. I've seen your posts and frankly I'm shocked that you've actually made this one. I really hope you don't stick by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jonathan)

Personally I'd be against doing this, it just seems like a bad idea to stir up trouble for the university. If they aren't going to kick her out (she should speak to the union as there is often a 'hardship fund', or something similar) then she's taken legal action against them, they're going to be less likely to be lenient if they don't have to be in the future. Stirring up trouble like this within her first semester seems like a really really big thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    If the chair is in her room then the Uni can claim she is responsible for it. The best she can probably do is ask the person who broke it to pay up. The only chance you probably have against that is if you can show it was already part broken and the Uni should have replaced it before your daughter moved in.

In terms of the fire alarm that does sound harsh. I'd ask the uni what proof they had that your daughter set it off. When I was in halls that sort of fine got divided up between everyone who could have been responsible if they didn't know who did it.

It seems strange that the Uni just charged her. I'd have thought they'd at east have sent a letter first saying they were going to charge her for those items. If they didn't then you might be able to get some money back especially if you can show your daughter went overdrawn and was charged for it. That could also help in any application for hardship funds.

Personally I'd first talk to the Uni about this and see what they side of events is. If you struggle getting information out directly then a Freedom of Information (FOI) request can be a good way of getting results.

Personally I'd leave things like small claims until the end. Whilst it might get the money back it could backfire (what if your daughter really did set the alarm off and they have proof). They could also record the fact that you've made a claim against which could impact future support they are willing / not willing to give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    She would, of course, plead innocence. If however she is responsible the uni are within their rights and are presumably just doing what she contractually signed up for when she accepted the accommodation.
    Notice the bit where she said 'my daughter was at fault for neither of these incidents'

ReputationRep:
    Have they just taken money from your daughter or have they taken from other people?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd be inclined to ask whether they can prove she set off the alarm. Put the burden of proof on them - I can't imagine there's anything stipulated in the contract about guilty until proven innocent. Likewise check the contract to see if they can make unusual deductions from the bank account without permission.

WRT to the chair, if everyone has been charged the same amount then it's probably a fair cop. If not then again, put the onus on them to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    If she's on loan and full grant how has she managed to get to the bottom of her overdraft? I don't think the fines are the main issue here.

In any case, your daughter needs to go to her residences office and reason with them.. they're normally decent people if you treat them politely.

ReputationRep:
    My initial reaction is that your daughter is trying to swindle your cash to feed her cocaine habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Notice the bit where she said 'my daughter was at fault for neither of these incidents'
    Being at fault and having responsibility are not the same thing - if someone else damaged the property in her room then it is still her responsibility under her contract and she will have to pay for it. It is then up to her to reclaim the fine from the person that actually broke the chair or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    lol at you thinking she's budgeting well if she's getting the max grant/loan and £31 put her into at least -£1.

Also, you can't get both the max grant and max loan.

ReputationRep:
    Colour me cynical, but

a) If it's true she was already only £31 from her overdraft limit at the point she broke a chair, she was already in trouble
    b) "worried about being kicked out" is massive hyperbole
    c) "neither issue was her fault" sounds like a rather one-sided story at the very least
    d) in fact, I'd be suspicious about the whole story

But of course I do not have access to any relevant information, so I can only hypothesise.

ReputationRep:
    She might be better off moving out of halls and into her own place.
    They shouldn't fine her if it wasn't her fault, complain about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    lol at you thinking she's budgeting well if she's getting the max grant/loan and £31 put her into at least -£1.

Also, you can't get both the max grant and max loan.
    Yes you can, i do.

Also get excellence grant and bursary from the university Just as well to be honest, don't think i'd be able to afford things otherwise, weekly budget is £35 anyway!

ReputationRep:
    just don't pay it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.