Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your favorite alphabet? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From an aesthetic point of view? Personally I like Hangul (Korean alphabet)

So what's yours?

ReputationRep:
    the english one. it begins with a b c

ReputationRep:
    I like the look of Greek and Russian even though I don't know what it means.
    Arabic also looks nice, Hebrew isn't bad either.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    alphabetti spaghetti

ReputationRep:
    Hellenic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jonathan)
    I hate to be the one the break it to you, but there's no such thing as the English alphabet. The English language uses the Latin alphabet I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the Japanese Hiragana, though it's a syllabary and not an alphabet.

ReputationRep:
    Arabic, Greek and Russian looks pretty interesting to me.

ReputationRep:
    It is very difficult for me to distinguish my favourite alphabet. The Latin alphabet has taken over pretty much the majority of Indo-European languages, and some Austro-Asiatic languages. However personally, I would say my favourite alphabet is the Gaelic varient of the Latin alphabet and Devanagari.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    From an acetic point of view? Personally I like Hangul (Korean alphabet)

So what's yours?
    Acetic? You mean aesthetic?

And uh, there are plenty of orthographies that aren't alphabets. Naturally I adore the Chinese, Japanese and Korean scripts.

ReputationRep:
    <3 cyrillic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jonathan)
    This is the Latin one

ReputationRep:
    I've always though Tolkien's alphabet for his Elvish languages was beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    I quite like the Japanese Hiragana, though it's a syllabary and not an alphabet.
    Hiragana looks really really pretty, although when all three writing systems (hiragana, katagana + kanji) all get meshed together then I don't find it so pretty anymore

The korean alphabet looks really interesting too, especially when Koreans write in them. I have never seen more systematic handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    Devanagari

But really, I don't know

ReputationRep:

All of them

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a favourite alphabet, but I've always thought that Spanish looks really really pretty on paper (perhaps it's the accent marks and the ñ letter?)

Although ... I really like the cyrillic script because it looks so cryptic to those who can't read it, and I love love love love the look of the Javanese script. So floral and beautiful :love: I might try learning to write in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)

All of them
    Nice! Some of them look sooo hard to write though!

ReputationRep:
    ???? ??????! *mother russia!*

ReputationRep:
    Cyrillic is lovely. Especially when you learn how to transliterate it into the Latin alphabet and suddenly you can see the English translation for the word. Only works in a few cases but I love it when it does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.