Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a place for Biomedical science but cant decide whether I would rather do Chemistry or Biochemistry etc..

Basically what are the differences? I get the impression that Biomedical Science is a lot more applied as opposed to just hardcore knowledge?

Also one thing that puts me off Biomedical Science is that it is known for being the Medicals students "backup".

However I also get the impression that Biomedical Science is a lot broader allowing you to try lots of different areas to find out what interests you most?

And how about straight Chemistry, I understand that it will be a lot different to the other two but maybe there is also the opportunity to lean chemistry more towards the biological side?

Any help from people who are studying/have studied/ are planning to study any of these would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical Science is as you say, more practical. It is also broad and varying, but if it's an accredited degree (which the good courses are) then there is not much flexibility at all. As I'm sure you are aware, biomedical science is also exclusively about human biology and medicine, whereas biochemistry will include plant biology.

Chemistry is, as you say, a lot different from the other two. It will be a lot more maths heavy and the majority of the modules will likely be about inorganic chemistry, rather than 'the chemistry of life'.

For much more detailed definitions consult wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    Biomed at UCL degree is not accredited. For first year biochem and biomed are pretty similar. There's just more chemistry involved in biochem, and less learning about the physiology of the human body. And I mean, for example, in the second year for biomedics you can't even take a chemistry module (unless this changes, which I doubt). Pure chemistry, I dunno much about, but I don't think they'll be too much on learning biological chemistry (that's just a guess tbh). If you like chemistry, and seeing as you're considering pure chemistry you probably do, then biochemistry is a good option - because you learn bit about how the body works and lots of chemistry. If you're not too fond of chemistry, the biomedical sciences would be good - but that doesn't mean there's no chemistry at all, cause you can pick your modules the way you like them. It's worth looking at what modules you have as options in the second year, from the website/prospectus to decide

ReputationRep:
    i've heard that at some universities after the first year of biomedicine you have the option to change, if you didnt like it, to another sciencey one in that area i.e biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Biomed at UCL degree is not accredited. For first year biochem and biomed are pretty similar. There's just more chemistry involved in biochem, and less learning about the physiology of the human body. And I mean, for example, in the second year for biomedics you can't even take a chemistry module (unless this changes, which I doubt). Pure chemistry, I dunno much about, but I don't think they'll be too much on learning biological chemistry (that's just a guess tbh). If you like chemistry, and seeing as you're considering pure chemistry you probably do, then biochemistry is a good option - because you learn bit about how the body works and lots of chemistry. If you're not too fond of chemistry, the biomedical sciences would be good - but that doesn't mean there's no chemistry at all, cause you can pick your modules the way you like them. It's worth looking at what modules you have as options in the second year, from the website/prospectus to decide
    What are you studying? How are you finding it?

I get the feeling that at UCL Biomed can be tailored to what you most like, because of it not being accredited. So does it sound sensible to begin with Biomed and pick and choose modules that I prefer rather than committing to a less broad degree like Biochemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joenecus)
    What are you studying? How are you finding it?

I get the feeling that at UCL Biomed can be tailored to what you most like, because of it not being accredited. So does it sound sensible to begin with Biomed and pick and choose modules that I prefer rather than committing to a less broad degree like Biochemistry?
    I'm doing biomed, and I'm enjoying it - apart from the workload can be a lot at times, but you learn to handle it. And yeah, that sounds like a decent idea. And like the other poster said, there's always the option to switch to biochemistry in the second year if you want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.