http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-values.html

I know what your going to say lol.

ReputationRep:
    sad sad sad day for the country, Thatcherite values are dark and wrong

it is the daily fail

ReputationRep:
    YAY! DailyFail!

ReputationRep:
    National Centre for social research? 'The survey, partly funded by the Government'...

If this was a half decent polling org...

ReputationRep:
    13 years of Labour rule and they couldn't secure a majority!

FAIL

ReputationRep:
    Get out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    13 years of Labour rule and they couldn't secure a majority!

FAIL
    Yeah thats because poorly educated peasants like you keep voting for them so you can claim your benefits and live in your council house. I hope this government wipes you off the face of the earth .

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as Labour had to swerve nauseatingly far to the right to get into government in the first place what I would actually posit is that Britain is currently enjoying the pleasant aftertaste of its own nose after having whined about how painful having it bitten off was.

Man voters are retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-values.html

I know what your going to say lol.
    Thank God. I'm a Thatcherite (slightly to the right of Thatcherism on some policies), and if the government shifts to the right sometime soon, it'll be a great day for Britain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnHuman)
    YAY! DailyFail!
    What kind of ignorant moron are you?

Rather than offer any kind of debate or alternate opinoin you would rather resort to childish insults. He hehe daily FAIL OMGZZZZZ

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats because poorly educated peasants like you keep voting for them so you can claim your benefits and live in your council house. I hope this government wipes you off the face of the earth .
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    What about "The Daily Heil"? Is that more acceptable, rooted in fact and all that...

ReputationRep:
    1 - its the DM
    2 - Not much of a surprise when you have rags like the DM shoving down peoples throats how evil benefit claiments are :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I like the fact the headline is that Britain is moving towards "Thatcherite ideas" and then the evidence it shows is:

Analysis of the British Social Attitudes Survey shows:

There is growing distrust of institutions such as the police, the BBC and banks;

Contempt for politicians and the government is at an all-time high, with record numbers not trusting anything they say;

Support for an English parliament is on the rise among voters resentful of high levels of public spending in Scotland;

No support for redistributing income but widening concern over the pay gaps between bosses and workers;

Britons are in denial about their age, with many rejecting the suggestion they are middle-aged or older.
    Thatcher didn't distrust the police and banks, she believed in them.

Thatcher hated the idea of petty English nationalism and would have never allowed an 'English parliament'

Thatcher didn't care about the pay gaps between bosses and workers.

I don't know what that business about age has got to do with Thatcher.

Then we get this.

The survey, partly funded by the Government, found that only 27 per cent want more to be spent on benefits.
    Thatcher spent far more on benefits than the Labour government that preceded her under Wilson/Callaghan had. The 1980s was the decade in which the welfare bill grew fastest.

This article is very poorly written. There was a 'sea change' of public opinion in 1945 towards the state, nationalisation and welfare; then there was another 'sea change' in 1979 towards individualism, privatisation and breaking up the unions, there was some debate about whether there would be another 'sea change' in 2010 but the election showed that there isn't. The government elected was a coalition between Liberal Democrats and a Conservative party led by a guy who is more towards the One Nation school of Toryism than the free market, hence guys like Redwood, Hannan being sidelined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    What kind of ignorant moron are you?

Rather than offer any kind of debate or alternate opinoin you would rather resort to childish insults. He hehe daily FAIL OMGZZZZZ
    In this instance, yes. Next time I will make sure to share my opinoinoinoin.

ReputationRep:

I see, so how on earth have the Conservatives won large majorities in the past, if people never vote objectively and always vote Labour out of 'ignorance'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    National Centre for social research? 'The survey, partly funded by the Government'...

If this was a half decent polling org...
    National Centre for social research is the organisation that carries out the British Social Attitudes Survey.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm not calling all conservatives stupid, but I will say all stupid people are conservative".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    National Centre for social research is the organisation that carries out the British Social Attitudes Survey.
    I know-I remembered just after I wrote the post-wasn't used to see the name of the institute rather than the survey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Seeing as Labour had to swerve nauseatingly far to the right to get into government in the first place what I would actually posit is that Britain is currently enjoying the pleasant aftertaste of its own nose after having whined about how painful having it bitten off was.

Man voters are retarded.
    So are woman voters.

You're a young impressionable shambles and so it saddens me to see you spouting this sort of stuff. Yes, Labour did shift to the right, but only because they realised that mass nationalisation was, pretty much, a bad thing for the economy, which in the end didn't help the worst-off in society, so it was a wee bit silly for the Labour elite to keep supporting it. So they're pretty much economically centre - favouring privatisation in some sectors whilst nationalisation in others. But if you're going to present a fair analysis of Labour you have to give them credit. They introduced the minimum wage, which is pretty Lefty (regardless of whether you support the minimum wage or not) because it involves State-intervention in the economy to help the worst-off (arguably - I'm not getting into the debate about the resulting unemployment... I support the minimum wage nonetheless, but whatever). They invested huge sums into the NHS and education, again a pretty progressive public sector reform package aiming to help the worst-off. And yes, such investment was sustainable (I don't buy the superficial commentary offered by others - "they bankrupted us", etc. etc. etc.). Winter fuel allowances, anti-discrimination acts, paternity leave and maternity pay, the cancelling of debt, foreign aid, reduction in child poverty, child benefit bolstered, climate change act, pension guarantees, trade union rights, civil partnerships, etc. etc. etc. (I've just copied bits and pieces from a list because I'm lazy, but ya get me). Labour did well to re-brand itself in order to introduce these progressive measures in a democracy where most the voters have historically been somewhat conservative, and Labour certainly did a hell of a lot more than what vague idealism would produce.

Sure, you might not agree with the Iraq War and the downfall of Saddam Insane (neither do I, as it happens), but give them credit where it's due, you square.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.