Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've applied to Northumbria Uni to study Law (2011).

I really like the look of the course and I've done loads of research into the city too.

The student halls looks alright, but I was wondering what the private accommodation is like for 2nd year onwards......anyone in private halls? Are the student digs in Newcastle as a bad as I hear?

Any help will be much appreciated - especially as my dad keeps saying everywhere up there's really rough and I'll get burgled!

Thanks,

Kevin

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give you an answer on private accommodation since I've never lived in it.

I did stay in Claude Gibb halls during a week at northumbria university. And although the people are friendly enough, them halls are awful, I wouldn't recommend anyone to pay to stay in them, a friends room in Claude Gibb, when she stood on a certain part on the floor the light on the ceiling turned off!

But about Newcastle, I've lived here all my life and most people are really friendly, if you stay near Newcastle center the city isn't rough at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm thinking about Victoria Halls because they're really nice looking.

I think I'm just concerned about the 3 or so years after that - doesn't Newcastle as a general have quite a high crime rate?

Have you ever been burgled?

Also, are the houses actually nice there? Like, do landlords really care that much about making their properties look good?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kevin

I moved up to Newcastle for Uni too and this is my 2nd year in private accommodation.
    I was a little bit freaked out at first as well - you do hear horror stories about some of the newcastle student houses, and especially how safe they are.

If I were you I wouldn't give it too much thought. I'd say Newcastle student houses are as safe as others elsewhere in the country.

The only advice I can really give you is make sure you use a good letting agent - stay away from dealing directly with small-time landlords. If you're smart about it, you'll have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Also, try Jesmond - it's maybe the safest student area in Newcastle......

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, ok.

So which is safer? The City Centre or Jesmond?

Also, how much would I be looking at paying each month for a room in a nice student house in these places?

Where you from originally?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't worry about it (apart from a few recent events) Newcastle is a pretty safe student city. My advice would be to look at Jesmond and Sandyford for accommodation. I moved straight from home into a private house and have never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    I love living in Newcastle. I've written an article about it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_for_Students

It should give you some peace of mind. Hope it all goes well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.