Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, currently my GPU is the major performance bottleneck in my system and I'm looking for advice on what to replace it with - something in line with the general performance of the components I already have:

AMD Phenom X2 555 BE 3.2Ghz
    3GB RAM
    WD Caviar Black + Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    Corsair 450W PSU

The current GPU is a Radeon HD3650 which I still have because I couldn't afford to upgrade it at the time I changed the rest of the components, and now the fan bearings are starting to go and it's generally the weakest part in the computer.

Can anyone recommend a GPU at a reasonable price point which will be a good match for my current components performance-wise, and not be a massive power draw? I'm not too worried about heating problems because my case is well-ventilated.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what reasonable means to you. I'd recommend a 768MB Nvidia GTX 460 (£112 here)- it's fantastic value and will run the majority of games on very high settings up to around 1920x1080, and should be fine with your PSU (might need to use a molex-6 pin PCI adapter, but 450W is plenty).

ReputationRep:
    I was considering an HD 5770, which is a bit cheaper. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The 5770's also a solid card, and certainly still a major step up from the 3850. You might find that it struggles at very high resolutions/settings on some games, but it'll handle most things. Looks like they can be had for around £90 now, so decent value too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    The 5770's also a solid card, and certainly still a major step up from the 3850. You might find that it struggles at very high resolutions/settings on some games, but it'll handle most things. Looks like they can be had for around £90 now, so decent value too.
    Just ordered one of them myself.

Upgrading from my old 9400GT, mainly wanting the HD support.

ReputationRep:
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=GX-149-XF

OP, if you're gonna make the jump, do it before these sell out.
    You've probably got the rest of today...

Or go get a 5850, I saw a link on here the other day of a site selling them at £115.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Hey all, currently my GPU is the major performance bottleneck in my system and I'm looking for advice on what to replace it with - something in line with the general performance of the components I already have:

AMD Phenom X2 555 BE 3.2Ghz
    3GB RAM
    WD Caviar Black + Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    Corsair 450W PSU

The current GPU is a Radeon HD3650 which I still have because I couldn't afford to upgrade it at the time I changed the rest of the components, and now the fan bearings are starting to go and it's generally the weakest part in the computer.

Can anyone recommend a GPU at a reasonable price point which will be a good match for my current components performance-wise, and not be a massive power draw? I'm not too worried about heating problems because my case is well-ventilated.
    What chipset is your motherboard?
    If its AMD, get an AMD 5850 or something along those lines.
    If its NVdia, GTX 260 is the bomb and its probs cheaper than the 5850 and plus it'll preform better IMO.

EDIT// Just saw your AMD CPU, its a black phenom. AMD created a port called 'Fusion' and its when you got an AMD CPU + GPU + Board. And apparantly it preforms +15% overall.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I went with the 5770 in the end - 512MB. It delivers bang for buck and I guess having all AMD components is more likely to be a good thing than bad, though a 15% increase in performance sounds a bit unlikely. :p:

One issue I seem to have with all graphics cards though is that they don't seem to seat properly in the PCIe slot. It's almost as though the motherboard is sitting too close to the side of the case, because the part of the gfx board where you screw it to the back of the case (guess you'd call it the lip) hits the fixing points before the card is fully in the slot. The card still works but if the case gets knocked it can jog the card back out of the slot because it's not secure. Did I perhaps botch something up when I built the PC? It's like the mobo needs to be raised about half a cm away from the side of the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    What chipset is your motherboard?
    If its AMD, get an AMD 5850 or something along those lines.
    If its NVdia, GTX 260 is the bomb and its probs cheaper than the 5850 and plus it'll preform better IMO.

EDIT// Just saw your AMD CPU, its a black phenom. AMD created a port called 'Fusion' and its when you got an AMD CPU + GPU + Board. And apparantly it preforms +15% overall.
    1-Why would the motherboard chipset matter even slightly when choosing a graphics card?
    2-Surely you mean the 460 GTX? The 260GTX is old, outdated and slow.
    3-That's not what fusion is. AMD's fusion systems aren't out yet, it's a combined CPU and GPU on a single chip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=GX-149-XF

OP, if you're gonna make the jump, do it before these sell out.
    You've probably got the rest of today...

Or go get a 5850, I saw a link on here the other day of a site selling them at £115.
    Just my luck! :mad: I got mine about 6 weeks ago and it cost me around £200!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.