Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Victorian drama about Industry & Empire - urggh, can't find anything! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My reading list for AQA English Lit. AS Level: Victorian Literature is mostly pretty good but I'm lacking examples of drama texts with the theme, Industry and Empire. So far, I've only come up with a Dickens novel that was given a stage adaptation. I need more examples but Victorian drama with this theme is really hard to find....has anyone done this specification/is currently doing this spec. and could maybe give some suggestions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Cullen)
    My reading list for AQA English Lit. AS Level: Victorian Literature is mostly pretty good but I'm lacking examples of drama texts with the theme, Industry and Empire. So far, I've only come up with a Dickens novel that was given a stage adaptation. I need more examples but Victorian drama with this theme is really hard to find....has anyone done this specification/is currently doing this spec. and could maybe give some suggestions? Thanks
    North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell - Industry.
    Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy - Empire.
    Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad - Empire.
    Vanity Fair, Thackeray - Industry.
    Great Expectations, Dickens - either.

Actually, all Victorian novels could be read focusing on these themes - they all deal with them extensively being major preoccupations of the era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goewyn)
    North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell - Industry.
    Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy - Empire.
    Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad - Empire.
    Vanity Fair, Thackeray - Industry.
    Great Expectations, Dickens - either.

Actually, all Victorian novels could be read focusing on these themes - they all deal with them extensively being major preoccupations of the era.
    Thanks, but it has to be drama (i.e. plays/theatre), not novels.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh this is exactly the problem I had and I'm sorry to say I didn't actually find a play about industry. In the end I used Ibsen's A Doll's House and looked at how Nora's limited position in life is paralleled by victorian industrial structure, she has no control just like the majority of factor workers etc.

Mrs Linde tells Nora "Still it was tremendous fun sitting there working and earning money. It was almost like being a man"

Also used Pygmalion. Eliza -"I sold flowers. I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me I'm not fit to sell anything else." and "I have to live for others and not for myself: that's middle class morality."

Again exploring the idea of power within social structure, this time with emphasis on class.

It's all rather tenuous but I got 91% on this exam so don't worry too much about texts fitting perfectly, just take a single quote or idea and go into a lot of detail Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but it has to be drama (i.e. plays/theatre), not novels.
    Ah, sorry! Unfortunately the Victorian era really was one of novels rather than plays in Britain so I just assumed :/

I would look at Oscar Wilde and Henry Arthur Jones if you want British stuff, and branch out to Ibsen and Nikolai Gogol for European influences. Again, it shouldn't be too hard to tie into Empire and Industry as the other poster demonstrated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.