Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I read the book and loved it - the character portrayals are very well-written and despite initially thinking that I would not like the science fiction premise around which the book is based, the story really engaged me and I cried at the very moving ending. If you've only seen the film adaptation (which IMO was awful as it changed the book so much, missed out the sub-plots, simplified the story and turned it into a Hollywood slush) please give the book a try. I read the book before seeing the movie and I'm glad I did, because I think the movie would have put me off reading it. It's a well-written, gripping story, with a whole lot more depth than I expected. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I agree... I finished it in two days in between work... and am just glad I only started reading it long after my exams. Had I started it during my exam-time I so wouldn't have studied... ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've read it. Pretty good book, but the plot was a little strange. The whole time travelling idea was more complicated than I thought it would be, but I suppose it's worked. Haven't seen the film though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen the film but liked the book, although it was quite confusing!

ReputationRep:
    loved the book
    the film as others have said was dissappointing...
    i loved the end of the book, which they should never of changed imo... (same goes for end of ps i love you... )
    x

ReputationRep:
    I love it :-) so much that I even like the film, just because it has bits of it in. Although, in my head, the characters have different hair to in the film!

ReputationRep:
    I love that book :love: its such a beautiful book and an interesting storyline. I'll admit I found it confusing to understand to begin with but it was totally worth working through it

Haven't seen the film and don't want them to ruin the book so probably wont.

ReputationRep:
    It's a beautiful book. She writes about love so feelingly and though their story is far-fetched, it is the genuinity of their love and of their human characters that makes it all so real and all so moving
    Literally couldn't put it down, I bookmarked Henry's final letter to Clare because every time I read it, it gets me choked
    ...I think I may just need to get a grip, but still... :P
    Fantastic piece of literature.

ReputationRep:
    I took the book to Greece with me, had saved it for months to read on my holiday and I absolutely loved it, finished it within two days! I just couldn't put it down. I had seen the film the summer it came out but reading the book made me wonder if it was even the same story?! Yes, the plot is the same but seriously so much was missed out of the film! The book is brilliant, I always get upset and I cry through it too.

Brilliant book, brilliant author.

ReputationRep:
    I :heart: that book!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.