Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to decide my firm choice for university. I have two great offers where i would love to go to. However i don't know which to put as my firm. I'm an international student and been in international schools most of my school life. It's not about the grades i reckon i could get A*AA. Just struggling to decide :/ To many of you it may seem stupid to even consider loughborough but i reckon their course structure would be good for future employment. I don't want to go to university to just "work" i want to go out and enjoy myself as well.

So i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to go? The pros/cons for each course? I thought up of a few.

The University of Warwick (W20) - Management (N200) Offer A*AA
    Pros
    Prestigious - Good for future employment

Cons
    Expensive - 16000 pounds annual fee
    High Offer - Too much pressure
    Social life?- location

Loughborough University (L79)- Accounting and Financial Management (4 year SW) (NN34) Offer AAB

Pros
    Lower offer - less stress
    Cheaper fees - 11000 pounds
    Social Life - Friends from school going there

Cons
    Sausage fest? i been told :P
    Not as good for future employment - however due to the sandwich course firm employing me on my third year may pay for my final year and guarantee me a job at the end of it?

i really appreciate if anyone could help me out here

ReputationRep:
    Also, it doesn't matter what uni you go to, you can still have 'fun'. Instead of Loughborough, why not consider Southampton? I've heard it's a great uni and the place is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPixie)
    Also, it doesn't matter what uni you go to, you can still have 'fun'. Instead of Loughborough, why not consider Southampton? I've heard it's a great uni and the place is amazing.
    cause southampton isn't as highly rank for management as loughborough. it's 20th whereas loughborough is 9th? I know i can still have fun wherever i go but it's just picking which one to be my firm and the cons alongside with my choice :/

ReputationRep:
    If you think you'll be happy at Loughborough, go for it. Even though Warwick has the whole prestigious element to it, Loughborough is still a good university that ranks quite highly in the majority of league tables. Also, the years placement will be really beneficial as it gives you experience, not just a prestigious degree and experience is what employers look for.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is not as boring as people make out

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I've heard only bad things about Warwick. They've got low student satisfaction for things that are actually important, look them up on the National Student Survey. I've been to Loughborough open day, it's very good. Leicester is also very near, which is great as there's a lot to do there. Warwick is near Coventry and Leamington Spa, not the most buzzing of places. Ignore the prestigious part, Loughborough is still a great Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough didn't win "Best student experience" a few years ago for no reason.

As for sausage fest...depends where you live and what you fill your life with. I personally (as a girl with a boyfriend who isn't at uni) don't find it too bad, some halls have a higher girl:boy ratio than others so do your homework and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You may want to consider whether you want to do Management or Finance and Accounting, both are quite different courses. If you can differentiate between these two then it'll be a hell of a lot easier to decide.

Good luck (My personal preference would be Warwick if you can get the grades)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelFF)
    To be honest, I've heard only bad things about Warwick. They've got low student satisfaction for things that are actually important, look them up on the National Student Survey. I've been to Loughborough open day, it's very good. Leicester is also very near, which is great as there's a lot to do there. Warwick is near Coventry and Leamington Spa, not the most buzzing of places. Ignore the prestigious part, Loughborough is still a great Uni.
    Would it be worth spending an extra year in loughborough tho?
    thanks for the advice

(Original post by lechaton-x)
    If you think you'll be happy at Loughborough, go for it. Even though Warwick has the whole prestigious element to it, Loughborough is still a good university that ranks quite highly in the majority of league tables. Also, the years placement will be really beneficial as it gives you experience, not just a prestigious degree and experience is what employers look for.
    is it worth spending that extra year for work placement?
    so you reckon employers would rather have experience over a prestigious degree?

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough. Cheaper fees, and I guess that during your third year, you not only don't pay fees, but you actually get a wage.
    Plus the uni is really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbygreg)
    You may want to consider whether you want to do Management or Finance and Accounting, both are quite different courses. If you can differentiate between these two then it'll be a hell of a lot easier to decide.

Good luck (My personal preference would be Warwick if you can get the grades)
    well i would like to do financial management but i don't want to narrow down my options too fast. If i took management i'll be able to go into financial management if i wanted to.

Where are you applying to?

(Original post by Abi24)
    Loughborough didn't win "Best student experience" a few years ago for no reason.

As for sausage fest...depends where you live and what you fill your life with. I personally (as a girl with a boyfriend who isn't at uni) don't find it too bad, some halls have a higher girl:boy ratio than others so do your homework and you'll be fine.
    I do have a girlfriend but it's going to be long distance when i leave for the uk still deciding what we're going to do tbh. It was just a con to put down on the list. still really unsure what to put down therefore thread :P

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough - especially because of the placement year, this is a really important bonus of coming here over Warwick.

Also, personally I think you'll actually enjoy your time here compared to Warwick. At Loughborough you work hard and play hard - as abi24 said there is a reason we've won Best Student Experience (Times Higher Education) for three years in a row.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick Firm, Lougboro Insurance. Social scene is what you make of it imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanLim93)
    well i would like to do financial management but i don't want to narrow down my options too fast. If i took management i'll be able to go into financial management if i wanted to.

Where are you applying to?
    Yeah both options allow you to get into financial management / accounting and you'd have no problems getting into any of the top accounting firms (the big 4 etc) with those courses.
    I applied to UEA , Leicester , Sheffield , Manchester and Exeter all for Business Management or whatever guise it comes under.
    I'm liking Sheffield as my firm and UEA as my insurance (seems like everyone applying to top business schools puts UEA as their insurance).
    I would have loved to apply for Warwick but my grades aren't good enough and I didn't like the look of L'boro's Management course (Management Sciences).
    If I were in your position I would go with Warwick because I'm not greatly interested in financial management.
    However looking at your situation L'boro looks more favourable especially with the opportunity to earn some money in the 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)

You're on my course! :hi:

The male-female ratio at Loughborough is skewed massively by the number of people studying engineering, which is something like 80-90% male. For most other courses it's a fairly normal split.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice everyone! really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Research Warwick to see whether they offer a sandwich-type course if you are still thinking about making that your firm, because alot of unis do it as an extra and not as a separate course if you get me.. See if you can ''study abroad'' or get ''work placement"..

Hope that made sense

ReputationRep:
    Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Screw the Sandwich, Warwick is a top 6 target, you can get Internships at prestigious firms on your own with that.

Your only issue should be whether you can make the grades or not

ReputationRep:
    Personally Id pick Warwick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.