Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm studying Art at A level (didn't do it at GCSE, thought I wanted to go into medicine, now it turns out I'd rather go into architecture) and I've been told I have A* quality work (I've been drawing and whatnot passionately since I was at least 5) and I can confirm that I think my pieces look stunning. However, it seems all the portfolios and art journals of previous A level Art students and my peers is full of all this presentation stuff; everything has borders, has been washed over with watercolour paints - basically everything is literally "presented", like the icing on a cake so to say.

I was just curious as to whether or not if anybody knows the presentation of the work itself affects your grade. I write extremely detailed analyses etc and everything that appears in my scheme of work is done to an exceptional standard. It seems I'll be marked down though because my journal just has a "simple" theme - the titles are very 1 dimensional and all the work is done on a white background which has no borders made of crepe paper and stuff that I see other students incorporating into their work to make it look presented and "finished".

Could anyone shed any light on this for me? <3

-Alex

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry your not the only one who didn't do GCSE art either, and doing it at AS-Level. I am too, it's a bit nerving knowing they've all done GCSE. We can do this anyway! It's great that your work is such a high grade too.

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same problem.. although I did GCSE. I can draw well, but its as though I have to completely play off the fact that I can draw, because I can't present my work like everyone else. Like i've tried to throw paint around my book like they do but it goes horribly wrong!

If I find a page about it ill post it up

ReputationRep:
    just splash some watercolour over your work.

ReputationRep:
    i do art and by the end of the year they do ask for you to spruce up your work with a bit of colour but i think its totally useless tbh but to avoid this try to make you art fill the whole page and like maybe bring a couple pieces together on one page and slightly merge them together but i have a question for you guys im doing art and im trying to get work together for a exam and im trying to find a artist that draws memories and another one who bases their work around obsession any suggestions?:confused: thanks a million

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.