Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student insomnia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As you'll see I recently posted a thread about sleep patterns/body clock being completely screwed up and mentioned that last night I only got 4 hours sleep (which is becoming a common occurance) and today I've been feeling light-headed, bad vision and slightly unable to concentrate for long periods of time.

I got a message from a user saying I may be suffering from insomnia which I was beginning to think. Despite being awake for over 24 hours from Sunday through to last night I only got 4 hours sleep as mentioned above.

I've been doing a lot of work this past week which should make me tired but nothing's changed, unlike college in which I'd hit the sack and pass out for 10 hours.

What I'd like to know is if other current or previous uni students have had such a problem? If so, how did you 'cure' it?

Thanks/merci/ta muchly

ReputationRep:
    If you find out, let me know.
    I've resided to staying awake for 30 hours at a time and then sleeping. Simply because if it's anything less, i'll be laying in bed for hours trying to sleep - still is like that sometimes even with 30+ hours being awake.

My bodies just completely nocturnal...i'd been awake for 40 hours on Friday, slept at 5pm and some idiot of my housemate decided to come wake me up at 10pm to ask me about council tax...like WTF...could have waited till morning...and because of that i couldnt sleep all night - despite having just been up for 40 hours straight and only slept for 5.

Didnt get to sleep until 9am...i was very unimpressed...

Sleeping tablets dont work for me unless i triple dose(prescription ones).

But they might work for you - Doctors tend to perscribe a weeks worth to help you get a sleeping pattern...
    It just didnt work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    As you'll see I recently posted a thread about sleep patterns/body clock being completely screwed up and mentioned that last night I only got 4 hours sleep (which is becoming a common occurance) and today I've been feeling light-headed, bad vision and slightly unable to concentrate for long periods of time.

I got a message from a user saying I may be suffering from insomnia which I was beginning to think. Despite being awake for over 24 hours from Sunday through to last night I only got 4 hours sleep as mentioned above.

I've been doing a lot of work this past week which should make me tired but nothing's changed, unlike college in which I'd hit the sack and pass out for 10 hours.

What I'd like to know is if other current or previous uni students have had such a problem? If so, how did you 'cure' it?

Thanks/merci/ta muchly
    If your body is getting used to being awake during the night, then it'll only get worse. The only cure is to go to bed around 9pm, put some music on your iPod, turn it down quietly, and close your eyes. Go to bed every night at 9pm for a week, and you should see a marked improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    If you find out, let me know.
    I've resided to staying awake for 30 hours at a time and then sleeping. Simply because if it's anything less, i'll be laying in bed for hours trying to sleep - still is like that sometimes even with 30+ hours being awake.

My bodies just completely nocturnal...i'd been awake for 40 hours on Friday, slept at 5pm and some idiot of my housemate decided to come wake me up at 10pm to ask me about council tax...like WTF...could have waited till morning...and because of that i couldnt sleep all night - despite having just been up for 40 hours straight and only slept for 5.

Didnt get to sleep until 9am...i was very unimpressed...

Sleeping tablets dont work for me unless i triple dose(prescription ones).

But they might work for you - Doctors tend to perscribe a weeks worth to help you get a sleeping pattern...
    It just didnt work for me.
    Will do

The 30 hour thing I can sympathise with. I usually do it to make myself tired but it doesn't seem to work, it just makes me sleep less.

I've started going to bed only when tired but still nothing. I did some research online and all the places have said that it can be caused by stress so if you're like me and have a current heavy workload it could be that but due to this work load I'm staying awake late. If all that makes sense but the concept just doesn't.

I was going to be around 11 previously and even sleeping through my alarms so I'm gonna try going to bed at 11 again.

Good luck with your attempts

ReputationRep:
    You just need to actually have a sleeping pattern. There's no use in trying to sleep regularly if your body clock doesn't know if it's coming or going. Go to bed at a reasonable time, say midnight and make sure you wake up at 8am (or whatever time which allows you to get 8 hrs a night) and get out of bed. Getting out of bed is important as you'll soon start to associate bed with sleeping. Don't get out of bed if you can't get to sleep at midnight, stay there until you fall asleep and don't do anything. You're only allowed in bed between midnight and 8am and at these times you must be either sleeping or doing nothing. Stick to the schedule until you find that you can actually go to sleep for the whole night (could be weeks) and then you can start deviating from it with nights out or early mornings. The trick with uni is just to have a schedule. My body clock's been all ****ed up at the moment and i'm finding it hard to wake up before 9am because it's dark so I've been opening my curtains to get over it and it's working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You just need to actually have a sleeping pattern. There's no use in trying to sleep regularly if your body clock doesn't know if it's coming or going. Go to bed at a reasonable time, say midnight and make sure you wake up at 8am (or whatever time which allows you to get 8 hrs a night) and get out of bed. Getting out of bed is important as you'll soon start to associate bed with sleeping. Don't get out of bed if you can't get to sleep at midnight, stay there until you fall asleep and don't do anything. You're only allowed in bed between midnight and 8am and at these times you must be either sleeping or doing nothing. Stick to the schedule until you find that you can actually go to sleep for the whole night (could be weeks) and then you can start deviating from it with nights out or early mornings. The trick with uni is just to have a schedule. My body clock's been all ****ed up at the moment and i'm finding it hard to wake up before 9am because it's dark so I've been opening my curtains to get over it and it's working.
    That's exactly my plan. Thing is it's so cold in the mornings right now and I just can't get up with it, even knowing I can have a nice hot shower. Although that's an idea, a lot of sites recommended a hot bath before bedtime, maybe a hot shower to relax the skin?

I do have a couple of things frequently bothering me on my mind, even though they're easily solved, so perhaps it's them also causing it.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly my plan. Thing is it's so cold in the mornings right now and I just can't get up with it, even knowing I can have a nice hot shower. Although that's an idea, a lot of sites recommended a hot bath before bedtime, maybe a hot shower to relax the skin?

I do have a couple of things frequently bothering me on my mind, even though they're easily solved, so perhaps it's them also causing it.
    Yeah, it's hard to do in the winter but you've got to try really. How bout putting your heater on on the timer for an hour before you want to wake up and then get straight into the shower.

With your worries, write them all down on a piece of paper when you get into bed and that way you can kind of forget them til the morning when you read the paper and you'll know you haven't forgotten any of them. I'm not really sure why it helps but it seems to for me so maybe you could try it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's hard to do in the winter but you've got to try really. How bout putting your heater on on the timer for an hour before you want to wake up and then get straight into the shower.

With your worries, write them all down on a piece of paper when you get into bed and that way you can kind of forget them til the morning when you read the paper and you'll know you haven't forgotten any of them. I'm not really sure why it helps but it seems to for me so maybe you could try it.
    Re. the heater. It's a good idea and one I wish I could do but the things here are only activated by a touch-sensitive pad. Totally gay really. When I do get up I usually try and remember to flick on the heater straight away or put it on before I go to bed in hopes that the room will be moderately warm.

I remember reading somewhere that writing down your worries can help loosen the pressure from them but when the thought is woman-based it's a bit hard to forget.

(Sorry, I'm really grumpy today =/ )

ReputationRep:
    Re. the heater. It's a good idea and one I wish I could do but the things here are only activated by a touch-sensitive pad. Totally gay really. When I do get up I usually try and remember to flick on the heater straight away or put it on before I go to bed in hopes that the room will be moderately warm.

I remember reading somewhere that writing down your worries can help loosen the pressure from them but when the thought is woman-based it's a bit hard to forget.

(Sorry, I'm really grumpy today =/ )
    Hey don't worry, if you've got troubles it's good to air them. I'm merely trying to suggest some things which have helped me when I've been in your situation. I think getting your work done will help you destress to a level where you can sleep better at least. I would say just keep bashing on with it until you get to a point where you can actually just relax and get into a good sleeping habit. If you're going home from uni for Christmas then that would be the ideal time to start really.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry, if you've got troubles it's good to air them. I'm merely trying to suggest some things which have helped me when I've been in your situation. I think getting your work done will help you destress to a level where you can sleep better at least. I would say just keep bashing on with it until you get to a point where you can actually just relax and get into a good sleeping habit. If you're going home from uni for Christmas then that would be the ideal time to start really.
    And your ideas have been good I'll give them a try later.

Think I'm nearly done with some of the work but these 'poems' are slightly depressing and somewhat narcissistic =/

Over Christmas I'm gonna just get the work done and then relax, sort myself out.

Ta for the help

ReputationRep:
    And your ideas have been good I'll give them a try later.

Think I'm nearly done with some of the work but these 'poems' are slightly depressing and somewhat narcissistic =/

Over Christmas I'm gonna just get the work done and then relax, sort myself out.

Ta for the help
    Sounds like a solid plan and no problem at all!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get this at uni, not quite as bad as you, but still bad. It's when I have lectures that start late in the day, or days off. You just have to sort yourself out a sleeping pattern, ideally sleep from about 11pm-7am and have an afternoon/evening nap if possible. It's the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    If your body is getting used to being awake during the night, then it'll only get worse. The only cure is to go to bed around 9pm, put some music on your iPod, turn it down quietly, and close your eyes. Go to bed every night at 9pm for a week, and you should see a marked improvement.
    Tried it.
    The last time i did that i didnt sleep until 8am, i just got more and more worked up through the night to the point i was just angry at some situation that had happened during the week and wasnt even a bit deal lol.

I had an awesome sleeping pattern of 10am->5am(and waking up wide awake without a clock too!) at some point, but that lasted 4 days.

My mother also has a natural nocturnal problem, so i'm sure it's genetic.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing to try is getting lots of exercise in. I find that to get a good nights sleep, you have to do something physically (as opposed to just mentally) tiring.

ReputationRep:
    Will do

The 30 hour thing I can sympathise with. I usually do it to make myself tired but it doesn't seem to work, it just makes me sleep less.

I've started going to bed only when tired but still nothing. I did some research online and all the places have said that it can be caused by stress so if you're like me and have a current heavy workload it could be that but due to this work load I'm staying awake late. If all that makes sense but the concept just doesn't.

I was going to be around 11 previously and even sleeping through my alarms so I'm gonna try going to bed at 11 again.

Good luck with your attempts
    Not due to heavy work load.
    I've always been a terrible sleeper even as a kid, but because of school and getting in **** constantly for being late, i managed at least to maintain some form of sleeping pattern.

But yeah, i do the same, sleeping through like 4 alarms etc...if i wake up and its night time i can get up straight away, no problem.
    If i wake up and it's daytime, i can quite happily sleep another 4-5 hours lol.

ReputationRep:
    Not due to heavy work load.
    I've always been a terrible sleeper even as a kid, but because of school and getting in **** constantly for being late, i managed at least to maintain some form of sleeping pattern.

But yeah, i do the same, sleeping through like 4 alarms etc...if i wake up and its night time i can get up straight away, no problem.
    If i wake up and it's daytime, i can quite happily sleep another 4-5 hours lol.
    I've missed 3 lectures this semester due to oversleeping. One more and I'm out =/

I'm the same there. I can wake up at half 4, not get back to sleep and be up at half five. One of the most annoying things ever.

ReputationRep:
    I've missed 3 lectures this semester due to oversleeping. One more and I'm out =/

I'm the same there. I can wake up at half 4, not get back to sleep and be up at half five. One of the most annoying things ever.
    Woa ****? Thats strict!
    In comparison i've been to three all semester...maybe 4.

I'm being assessed for ADHD though, and insomia/nocturnal sleeping comes under it. Most people with ADHD describe themselves as night owls.

ReputationRep:
    Woa ****? Thats strict!
    In comparison i've been to three all semester...maybe 4.

I'm being assessed for ADHD though, and insomia/nocturnal sleeping comes under it. Most people with ADHD describe themselves as night owls.
    It is strict and most of the lectures we go to are useless anyway, it's all in the module reader so it's pointless going to them really.

So with ADHD, insomnia is pretty much inevitable at some points?!

ReputationRep:
    It is strict and most of the lectures we go to are useless anyway, it's all in the module reader so it's pointless going to them really.

So with ADHD, insomnia is pretty much inevitable at some points?!
    Its very, very common with ADHD.
    Like at night, my mind starts going off and imagining all these situations and fantasy places. It's just my mind going mental with nothing to distract it.

I counteract it now by putting something on the TV, Friends is usually the common one.
    Basically something i can watch over and over again, so i don't feel the need to watch it, just listen to it.

And when my mind goes off on tangents, i have to remember to shup up and listen to the TV lol.

Still takes 1-2 hours to get to sleep. Sometimes sooner, somtimes later. If it takes anything longer than 3 hours i tend to just say '**** it' and stay up till when the morning comes. But it's a massive improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Its very, very common with ADHD.
    Like at night, my mind starts going off and imagining all these situations and fantasy places. It's just my mind going mental with nothing to distract it.

I counteract it now by putting something on the TV, Friends is usually the common one.
    Basically something i can watch over and over again, so i don't feel the need to watch it, just listen to it.

And when my mind goes off on tangents, i have to remember to shup up and listen to the TV lol.

Still takes 1-2 hours to get to sleep. Sometimes sooner, somtimes later. If it takes anything longer than 3 hours i tend to just say '**** it' and stay up till when the morning comes. But it's a massive improvement.
    Ugh, sounds horrible.

I can safely say I feel much better today. Got into bed at half 8, read til around 10, turned off the lamp and I was gone

Woke up automatically at 20 past 7 and was up by half past and just got out the shower.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.