Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You all know these trading games that Banks come and do once in a while at University campuses? Do you know if they are actually searching for talents but in a different way to milkrounds?

I won the trading game for my university and the final will be in london at the Bank's office next year. Can I expect something more than just a cash price if I won? Ie will there be an internship offer or something like that? Im sure these banks won't bother wasting their time and resources running a trading game if its just for publicity as its not that much publicity anyway, not that many people want to do it.

Anyone know someone who got an offer of some sort through trading games?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtOfWar)
    You all know these trading games that Banks come and do once in a while at University campuses? Do you know if they are actually searching for talents but in a different way to milkrounds?

I won the trading game for my university and the final will be in london at the Bank's office next year. Can I expect something more than just a cash price if I won? Ie will there be an internship offer or something like that? Im sure these banks won't bother wasting their time and resources running a trading game if its just for publicity as its not that much publicity anyway, not that many people want to do it.

thanks
    My honest albeit slightly uninformed opinion on this would be that banks use these 'trading games' to build brand awareness and foster goodwill amongst university students. Therby causing more applicants to apply for positions and therefore having a larger pool from which they can select candidates to interview.

However, it is possible that given the right circumstances; certain people could parle an opprtunity like this into something more substantial than a one off cash prize.

NB: I'm an A- level student so I wouldn't put too much credence into what I posted. This is merely my personal opinion.

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Citi right?

If they used it to recruit, surely it should be in line with their recruitment process...so it would occur before any ACs?

Not sure if there have been any Citi ACs yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eivoquraf)
    Citi right?

If they used it to recruit, surely it should be in line with their recruitment process...so it would occur before any ACs?

Not sure if there have been any Citi ACs yet.
    yes its Citi. Will be disappointed if it gets you to their AC only. You'd think they could make you an offer for an intern having come out on top of ur uni and if you come top of all the oxbridge/IC/UCL and other top unis. but then any opportunity is better than nothing. I heard that Citis ACs have finished? or is that for full time positions only?

ReputationRep:
    yes its Citi. Will be disappointed if it gets you to their AC only. You'd think they could make you an offer for an intern having come out on top of ur uni and if you come top of all the oxbridge/IC/UCL and other top unis. but then any opportunity is better than nothing. I heard that Citis ACs have finished? or is that for full time positions only?
    Dont worry on the AC situation. Every bank, and yes that includes UBS will more than likely hold at least 1 AC post-Xmas.

Coming top in a trading game will almost never lead directly to an offer. The banks look for so much more than you winning a game.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the game and in my experience most of them do give you opportunities, e.g. Bank of America Merrill Lynch (spring week offer), Credit Suisse (final round interview?), Pressure Trade (job offer), BNP (spring week offer), RBS (1 week in the US office), etc. I thought Citi was one of them as well, but I could be wrong.

Once upon a time, I made the 'final table' of the Citi thing. And by that, I mean, the very last 8 people across all unis.

Anyway, there was an offer waiting for the winner. But this was a while back. Like, 5 years back?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Swayum)
      I think it depends on the game and in my experience most of them do give you opportunities, e.g. Bank of America Merrill Lynch (spring week offer), Credit Suisse (final round interview?), Pressure Trade (job offer), BNP (spring week offer), RBS (1 week in the US office), etc. I thought Citi was one of them as well, but I could be wrong.
      I can confirm both the BAML spring week and CS AC
      However I'm doubtful for pressure trade... I'm currently top of the leaderboard and have interviewed with the founder in London but no job opportunities have come from it yet
      I take it you'll be playing the LSE pressure trade competition?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Milch)
      I can confirm both the BAML spring week and CS AC
      However I'm doubtful for pressure trade... I'm currently top of the leaderboard and have interviewed with the founder in London but no job opportunities have come from it yet
      I take it you'll be playing the LSE pressure trade competition?
      I don't know how useful the system they have up on their website is, but the competition they're holding at universities (certainly LSE and Imperial) will have CVs forwarded onto a recruitment agency + potentially there'll be a guaranteed interview with a big IB. Yeah I'll be participating in it, I'm actually also one of the people organising it at LSE. They're looking to expand outside of London pretty soon too.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.