Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i am really stuck! i have applied for accounting and finance before novemebr and had 4 offers from university. suddenly, i am thinking of medicine that medicine career can be for me as i like to help people to get better soon. i do not have A level in biology and chemistry neither gcse science but BETC (merit). the university of manchster offer 6 years course including foundation year that will teach my the science i would need for the degree. however, i have applied for accounting and finance at manchester university and it is highly likely that manchester medical school would reject me. i am from a very poor income family and want to be independent on myself. doctor is the career i can go very far in terms of salary as well career oportunites and there are a lot of respect for doctors. the thing that worried is me that i am not really good at math and accouting and finance is to do with math and people say it is very boring as well. at least, in medicine i will discover new things everyday and it'll be exciting too.
    another thing that botehr me a lot is that i will have to pay higher tuition fee if i changed my mind and decided to apply in 2012. if you start uni in 2011, carry on with the course and apply for a new course at the same uni, would you have to pay the same tuition fees or the new one.
    i don't know what to do
    if i decided i want to do medicine i have to write a new personal statement and the exams are near and have to revise for them aslo. i am so stressed out. i don't want to waste my time at universuty.
    please help!thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidra111)
    hi guys, i am really stuck! i have applied for accounting and finance before novemebr and had 4 offers from university. suddenly, i am thinking of medicine that medicine career can be for me as i like to help people to get better soon. i do not have A level in biology and chemistry neither gcse science but BETC (merit). the university of manchster offer 6 years course including foundation year that will teach my the science i would need for the degree. however, i have applied for accounting and finance at manchester university and it is highly likely that manchester medical school would reject me. i am from a very poor income family and want to be independent on myself. doctor is the career i can go very far in terms of salary as well career oportunites and there are a lot of respect for doctors. the thing that worried is me that i am not really good at math and accouting and finance is to do with math and people say it is very boring as well. at least, in medicine i will discover new things everyday and it'll be exciting too.
    another thing that botehr me a lot is that i will have to pay higher tuition fee if i changed my mind and decided to apply in 2012. if you start uni in 2011, carry on with the course and apply for a new course at the same uni, would you have to pay the same tuition fees or the new one.
    i don't know what to do
    if i decided i want to do medicine i have to write a new personal statement and the exams are near and have to revise for them aslo. i am so stressed out. i don't want to waste my time at universuty.
    please help!thnx
    As well as helping people, in medicine you will also eventually directly lead to someone's death because you missed a diagnosis, or someone will die and you won't be able to save them. Is that acceptable to you?

With medicine, it's not just a case of switching degrees like it can be with other courses; you can contact Manchester about this medicine with foundation year course, but I daresay it's already had a lot of applicants and, as the deadline was October 15th, you'll be told to apply for it next year.

ReputationRep:
    that is a strange choice of career from accounting and finance.. you do realise that accountants can make mega bucks too.. also looking at the way the economy and tuition fees are going..you would not want to accumulate 6years of debt, especially when the NHS are laying people off left right and centre.. just stick with what you know..and don't be driven by money..medicine can take a lot out of you, and you may not like the intensity

ReputationRep:
    Accounting and finance because you sound like you would be a **** doctor. Also, you have a BTEC and I like to think medical schools are above BTECs.

What will you discover everyday in medicine anyway? Different old lady's poo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Accounting and finance because you sound like you would be a **** doctor. Also, you have a BTEC and I like to think medical schools are above ****ty BTECs.

u never know, one day i could be a sucessful doctor
    anyway, thanks for such a good and encouaging advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Accounting and finance because you sound like you would be a **** doctor. Also, you have a BTEC and I like to think medical schools are above ****ty BTECs.

why have you applied for medicine. do you want to see different old lady's poo everyday :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why have you applied for medicine. do you want to see different old lady's poo everyday :rolleyes:
    No. But I don't have some naive notion that I will 'discover something new eveeryday'.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you do know that medicine is more than helping people, this is where a lot of people make a mistake of not realising what medicine is really about. how can you be sure that medicine is what you want to do for the rest of your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    No. But I don't have some naive notion that I will 'discover something new eveeryday'.
    what i wa meant from saying 'i will discover new everyday' that science discovery is endless and it is interesting too. as a doctor you always learn something new in your whole career as scientifics discover new everyday.
    i think you are just jealouse from other medicine applicants, that's all:rolleyes:
    be careful with you foul language

ReputationRep:
    what i wa meant from saying 'i will discover new everyday' that science discovery is endless and it is interesting too. as a doctor you always learn something new in your whole career as scientifics discover new everyday.
    i think you are just jealouse from other medicine applicants, that's all:rolleyes:
    be careful with you foul language
    Cool :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Cool :yy:
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.