Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so I'm a teenage girl, I've never given oral sex. I've had cold sores since I was a baby, but I haven't had one for years, and no one who I live with has ever caught one off of me.

I've heard that apparently, if I give someone a blowjob, I can give them herpes even if I don't have a cold sore present. I have OCD as well, so now I'm paranoid about giving herpes to people from simple things like sharing glasses, touching my mouth and forgetting to wash my hands, etc.

Anyway, I'm worried this means I'll never be able to give blowjobs. Thus, meaning boys won't want to date me.

I found this source: http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...29/2638882.htm

And it says if he gets coldsores too, you can't reinfect him with the same virus. Is this true? There's such a lack of info surrounding this.

Also, guys, would you be bothered if your girlfriend didn't do oral? I wouldn't expect you to either.

Lol sorry for the weird thread. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, if you have a cold sore or any symptoms AT ALL dont give him/her oral sex. Just dont. It would be a disaster....

Other than that, considering you havent had one for years and blah de blah then itl be fine. One of my close friends gets cold sores all the time as lots of things set it off for her. But she gives her bf oral and from what I know (and i know most things about there sex life unfortunately...) theyre both fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that apparently, if I give someone a blowjob, I can give them herpes even if I don't have a cold sore present.
    Yes, that is correct. Oral herpes, a.k.a. cold sores, is often caught through a simple kiss as a child, but can be passed to a partner's genitals through oral sex. This can happen even if a cold sore is NOT present (and this is not as rare as a lot of people like to think, either).

Oral herpes is infectious for about 15-18% of the time. The virus can, and does, sometimes reactivate without you getting a cold sore. It happens to everyone with oral herpes sometimes. It is also common to be infectious in the week before you get a cold sore, without showing symptoms.

Sometimes, you will feel some warning, like a tingle on your lip, which should tell you that the virus is active. Sometimes, however, you won't feel a thing.

My boyfriend caught cold sores as a kid. As an adult, WITHOUT current symptoms, he managed to infect me with genital herpes through performing oral sex on me. He hadn't had a cold sore in months, and was aware of the risk and wouldn't have gone near me if he thought he was infectious.

Most herpes infections are caught from someone who is not showing symptoms - about 70% of infections are caught from currently asymptomatic partners (what the other 30% thought they were doing I don't know).

Anyway, I'm worried this means I'll never be able to give blowjobs. Thus, meaning boys won't want to date me.
    It doesn't mean you can't - about 60% of young people in the UK actually have oral herpes like you, and most of them are giving oral sex - but you might want to discuss it with boyfriends and find out if they get cold sores too. As long as they are aware that there is a small risk, that is their risk to take. Most are fine with it and would infinitely prefer the risk to not receiving oral.

And it says if he gets coldsores too, you can't reinfect him with the same virus. Is this true? There's such a lack of info surrounding this.
    This is pretty much true. Once you have the virus in one site on your body, you develop an immunity to the virus. Oral herpes is normally hsv-1. So, if you have oral hsv-1 and later get exposed to hsv-1 genitally, your body recognises the virus and fights it off and you don't become infected genitally. It isn't perfect, but it is nearly always the case that genital hsv-1 is something that happens to people who have never had oral herpes hsv-1. I caught genital hsv-1, but I'd never had it orally. When I caught it genitally, my boyfriend used to kiss me when he had an open cold sore, and we used to sometimes have sex when I had a genital outbreak, but neither of us caught it in a second location other than where we had it to start with.

So if your partner gets cold sores too, even if they had one once as a child, there is no need to worry.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Try using flavoured condoms. You can give oral sex with no worries, and it'll taste nice.

Condoms + oral sex = worse than a handjob. What's the point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.