Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neighbour screaming at her kids is doing my nut in. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Next door neighbour has two daughters, one in her early teens the other probably about 8.

Everyweekend, sunday morning like clockwork she starts screaming and it goes on for hours, no idea if thats the day they tidy their rooms or something but this woman sounds like she is possessed. It is so loud it wakes me up. Now I'd had a drink saturday night and I wasn't in the best of moods and my sister wouldn't give me my trainers as I was going round there to do her husbands job for him.

Thats the other weird thing her husband is like the meekest bloke I have met a complete nerd and when she starts he seems to go out in the back garden and have a smoke. It must do his nut in and I don't understand why he hasn't buried her under the patio by now. He might do,as I hear the quiet ones are the ones to watch.This might sound extreme but you have no idea of the noise,she swears too and she calls both the girls cnuts and whores . It happens on other days but it is mainly sundays for some reason. I mean call an 8 yr old a whore seriously...

I never hear her kids shout back and in some ways I'd be more comfortable with that as when I grew up there would be family bust ups and everyone would yell at each other but be best mates later on. Now her daughters look well dressed,happy etc and I never see signs she's beating them.

I bet you are thinking she's a chav,you couldn't be more wrong, she's a school teacher and whenever I have spoken to her she is really nice and she also keeps an eye on an elderly lady nearby.

So is this normal? thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Buy earplugs. Ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    We've all got annoying neighbors but to be honest it's when they disturb your sleep that it gets unbearable. I've got a neighbor that everyone on the street knows about. Unless you move house or they do you just have to put up with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Next door neighbour has two daughters, one in her early teens the other probably about 8.

Everyweekend, sunday morning like clockwork she starts screaming and it goes on for hours, no idea if thats the day they tidy their rooms or something but this woman sounds like she is possessed. It is so loud it wakes me up. Now I'd had a drink saturday night and I wasn't in the best of moods and my sister wouldn't give me my trainers as I was going round there to do her husbands job for him.

Thats the other weird thing her husband is like the meekest bloke I have met a complete nerd and when she starts he seems to go out in the back garden and have a smoke. It must do his nut in and I don't understand why he hasn't buried her under the patio by now. He might do,as I hear the quiet ones are the ones to watch.This might sound extreme but you have no idea of the noise,she swears too and she calls both the girls cnuts and whores . It happens on other days but it is mainly sundays for some reason. I mean call an 8 yr old a whore seriously...

I never hear her kids shout back and in some ways I'd be more comfortable with that as when I grew up there would be family bust ups and everyone would yell at each other but be best mates later on. Now her daughters look well dressed,happy etc and I never see signs she's beating them.

I bet you are thinking she's a chav,you couldn't be more wrong, she's a school teacher and whenever I have spoken to her she is really nice and she also keeps an eye on an elderly lady nearby.

Do you have a car? if so beep the car horn when you think she may be asleep.

ReputationRep:
    If it's doing your head in think what it's like for the kids

ReputationRep:
    Call your environmental officer. Pretty sure that goes against anti-social noise and statutory nuisance laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)

Don't suppose you live in Egham do you? Our neighbour (who we called Iceland lady) lived in a 4 bedroom terraced house - attached to ours, had, i kid you not, 9 kids, and she just screamed all the time. Was a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to put up with it.

Your first port of call if it's just the noise that's bothering you is to call the council and make a complaint. All councils have procedures in place about persistent noise, it usually falls under environmental health; you can look it up on your local council's website. Might be a good idea to start noting down times/dates etc so you have an accurate record, as that'll help your complaint to get taken more seriously.

But if you're genuinely concerned about the kids an anonymous call to social services might be in order. Personally I don't think it matters that it as far as you can tell she's not beating them up and they appear well looked after, it's still emotional and psychological abuse to yell those sorts of things at your eight year old and it is not by any means normal. I'd be concerned to hear someone swearing like that at their children on a regular basis, and while it may look to you that nothing else is wrong, you do after all only have a very limited view of them as a family, and it may be worth reporting it just to make sure there are no bigger issues as far as the kids' wellbeing is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this would be noise disturbance, next time its happening call the police and make a noise complaint?

ReputationRep:
    Call the 5-0

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.