Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it impossible to move to new york and do bar work for a year? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    a lot of people i know have travelled and worked as they go and i really want to do the same but in the us, but ive tried to do some research and apparently most countries have travellers visas which allow you to go and work for up to a year but the us doesn't. Just wondering if anyone has managed to find a way to work there. ps sorry about the lack of capitals and disjointed sentences im using my mobile

    You can apply for the green card lottery, but you will lose. Or you could try finding work as an illegal immigrant. Or you could marry an American.

    Otherwise, no.

    Apparently the guy who played Lincoln Burrows in Prison Break used to live in Australia but won the green card lottery. So you never know

    This is an interesting topic. How DO people who are not American go and live and work in America LEGALLY? I truly think they do it in the same way Americans do it to go to other countries such as Japan which do not issue, for example, Working Holiday Visas to Americans:

    a) show up on a tourist visa or equivalent and look for employment in a place that will sponsor them a work permit/visa;
    b) get hired from their own country by a company that will sponsor a work permit/visa before they even get there;
    c) go there on a different type of visa that entitles you to a certain number of hours of work (typically part-time) such as a student visa, although then you actually have to attend school of some kind FULL TIME.........;
    d) work illegally (lol deportation!).

    You may have done it already but just go on the visa/consulate section of the American Embassy in UK website, or whatever the relevant government body is called. It will hold all the details of all the types of VISA they can offer to UK nationals, INCLUDING details of those that permit you to work.

    Britain is not eligible for the green card lottery (unless you are from NI) so that is not an option.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

    Articles and guides:

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

    Featured recruiter profiles:

    CGI logo

    CGI is open for applications

    "Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

    Deutsche Bank logo

    Deutsche Bank is recruiting

    "Thrive in an international banking environment"

    ICAEW logo


    "Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

    Army logo

    The Army is recruiting now

    "With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Quick links:

    Unanswered career sector and employment threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.