Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Basically the title says it all..

I'm doing a Journalism degree at University and am in my 2nd year. I have decided Primary teaching is in fact what I want to do so I am about to get my work experience sorted ready to apply to UCAS etc next year...
    But, I was just reading the criteria AND, I saw you needed a Grade C or above in English, science and Maths. I have a B in English Lit and Lang, a C in Maths, but then got an E in science.

Would this affect my application and is there no need in me really applying now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Basically the title says it all..

I'm doing a Journalism degree at University and am in my 2nd year. I have decided Primary teaching is in fact what I want to do so I am about to get my work experience sorted ready to apply to UCAS etc next year...
    But, I was just reading the criteria AND, I saw you needed a Grade C or above in English, science and Maths. I have a B in English Lit and Lang, a C in Maths, but then got an E in science.

Would this affect my application and is there no need in me really applying now?
    Just pay to enter the GCSE science exam as a private candidate. Two weeks solid cramming and a C grade in GCSE science is more or less guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need one to get in, so until you have one there's no real point in applying. I would do it yourself and then apply.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There will be evening classes you could do. You only need one science GCSE, so you could choose your best and do the exams/classes for that

ReputationRep:
    I re took my GCSEs with ICS a couple of years ago, to gain the C in Science and English. Cost a fair bit tho... >.<

You wont get in without it, so you need to do that first.

Also, ensure that wherever you are applying to, doesnt want your degree to be in a national curriculum subject.

ReputationRep:
    You'll definitely need at C in science. Also be aware that a lot of institutions require you to sit tests in Maths and English before allowing you onto the course.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just buy the CGP revision guides and read those over. GCSE is pretty much multiple choice for most of it anyway, so I can't imagine a C would be too tricky for you now

ReputationRep:
    If you're in 2nd year now I'd get yourself entered for the GCSE Science exams this summer because a lot of universities say you must have the grades before applying. Primary is so competitive that they can't afford to be giving out places to people who don't have the right basic GCSE grades even if they have the degree. You wouldn't find out your result until right at the end of August and most courses start the first week in September and they wouldn't be able to confirm your offer until then so it just wouldn't work.

GCSE Science at C or above is a basic government requirement for primary school teachers. You will not get in anywhere without it as the universities are literally unable to take you, they do not make this entrance requirement up themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree with everyone else's advice - do your GCSE NOW. Hopefully you'll pass before wanting to apply. However, some (and only some) places do let you apply without having gained the GCSE just yet, so long as you get it by the time of the couse (ie. Sept 2012 for you) - which could be a back up option if you don't manage to pass the GCSE before next Sept

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.