Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have applied to LSE for Philosophy & Politics, and am curious as to how their philosophy program compares to UCL/Oxford/St Andrews. Could any current students share their insight?

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I study Politics & Philosophy at LSE, and I really love it, especially the Philosophy modules. The lecturers are wonderful, the class teachers are great too and everyone on the course is lovely. Plus, we have a departmental rock band :heart:

I don't think anyone will be able to say how it compares to the other unis, because they almost definitely won't have studied there. All I can say is that LSE's Philosophy degree has the best grad prospects of any Philosophy course (higher than Oxbridge), and it's usually considered to be the most analytic in style (which is a massive bonus for me, but if you love continental philosophy then it may not be for you). LSE seems to cover similar content to UCL's philosophy course though (perhaps with slightly more focus on logic), from what I've gathered from people I know studying there. Also, although I applied to Oxford, I think LSE is the right place for me, and I don't think UCL/Oxford would have been as good for me; LSE is a lovely place to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I study Politics & Philosophy at LSE, and I really love it, especially the Philosophy modules. The lecturers are wonderful, the class teachers are great too and everyone on the course is lovely. Plus, we have a departmental rock band :heart:

I don't think anyone will be able to say how it compares to the other unis, because they almost definitely won't have studied there. All I can say is that LSE's Philosophy degree has the best grad prospects of any Philosophy course (higher than Oxbridge), and it's usually considered to be the most analytic in style (which is a massive bonus for me, but if you love continental philosophy then it may not be for you). LSE seems to cover similar content to UCL's philosophy course though (perhaps with slightly more focus on logic), from what I've gathered from people I know studying there. Also, although I applied to Oxford, I think LSE is the right place for me, and I don't think UCL/Oxford would have been as good for me; LSE is a lovely place to be.
    That sounds fantastic!! Now I'm even more keen for an offer!

What are the people in the course like? I'm guessing/hoping the Philosophy + Politics course doesn't attract the obnoxious, hypercompetitive investment-bankers-in-training LSE is infamous for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junebug32)
    That sounds fantastic!! Now I'm even more keen for an offer!

What are the people in the course like? I'm guessing/hoping the Philosophy + Politics course doesn't attract the obnoxious, hypercompetitive investment-bankers-in-training LSE is infamous for?
    Well, to be honest, I haven't met a huge number of that stereotype here; the vast majority of people here are incredibly friendly and nice to be around. But, yeah, the people on the PolPhil course are even less competitive/banking-focused than most. Everyone I know on the course is lovely; and we all want to do different things in the future, I think. Also, the two lecturers who thought up the course are really great and try to make it as good a course as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for Philosophy, Logic and scientific method but although i am confident i should be able to manage the philosophy aspects i am slightly worried if me less-than-great maths skills will be a big hindrance for the logic part.

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbarge)
    I have an offer for Philosophy, Logic and scientific method but although i am confident i should be able to manage the philosophy aspects i am slightly worried if me less-than-great maths skills will be a big hindrance for the logic part.

Any help?
    You can definitely still get a high mark in the Logic module without great maths skills. Logic definitely has similarities with algebra, but I can't see how any other area of maths is directly relevant. I'd also like to add that the Logic module is so amazing: it's my hardest module by far, but I love it :heart:

ReputationRep:

Hi, i'm currently waiting for a decision from LSE and this course, and i'm wondering if you know if it's possible to study another course(for example, economics) along with pol & phil well there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butanerd)
    Hi, i'm currently waiting for a decision from LSE and this course, and i'm wondering if you know if it's possible to study another course(for example, economics) along with pol & phil well there?
    I'm also still waiting on a decision for pol&phil- nice to know I'm not alone!! This month has been nervewracking....

ReputationRep:
    I'm also still waiting on a decision for pol&phil- nice to know I'm not alone!! This month has been nervewracking....
    indeed it has, really need that offer right now, but at the same time as i'm trying to stay realistic I unfortunately tend to fall into the "it's been 6 months now, they can't reject me now"-chain of thoughts. i'm studying in edinburgh now, but this year has made me desperate to leave it(social reasons, not academic). are u waiting for any other decisions?

ReputationRep:
    indeed it has, really need that offer right now, but at the same time as i'm trying to stay realistic I unfortunately tend to fall into the "it's been 6 months now, they can't reject me now"-chain of thoughts. i'm studying in edinburgh now, but this year has made me desperate to leave it(social reasons, not academic). are u waiting for any other decisions?
    I know, it seems sadistic to make someone wait 6 months to be rejected. And yes, I'm waiting on UCL as well! :afraid:

What was wrong with Edinburgh socially, by the way? It's one of the options I was considering, so any information on its social scene would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I know, it seems sadistic to make someone wait 6 months to be rejected. And yes, I'm waiting on UCL as well! :afraid:

What was wrong with Edinburgh socially, by the way? It's one of the options I was considering, so any information on its social scene would be very much appreciated!
    Don't think my experience there reflects the general perception, but I was quite surprised after a while when I noticed a tendency by some to form small clusters of quite homogenous people. some are from the onset going to uni with conformist tendencies that automatically rule out some of the experiences with different cultures. my experience was muddled by some personal issues, and my tendency to compare new people with old friends might not render you with a sufficient amount of objectiveness in dealing with Edinburgh in your uni-considerations. I am not the most outgoing person, and im actually rather neurotic too, but I made quite strenuous efforts in order to improve on those aspects there but with little luck. If, however, you're an outgoing person and u feel that u have an easy time meeting new people, i'd still recommend u to consider edinburgh for the city and for the education. that is of course unless you get accepted into lse/ucl, in which case the choice should seem rather obvious

ReputationRep:
    You can take outside options alongside pol/phil ones (this year, I've taken an economics module along with 2 philosophy ones and a politics one), but your degree will still be titled Politics & Philosophy at the end of the course. You do 4 modules a year at LSE; I think that you have to take at least 4 politics modules and at least 4 philosophy ones to meet the course requirements, so that gives you a few modules to play with.

ReputationRep:
    You can take outside options alongside pol/phil ones (this year, I've taken an economics module along with 2 philosophy ones and a politics one), but your degree will still be titled Politics & Philosophy at the end of the course. You do 4 modules a year at LSE; I think that you have to take at least 4 politics modules and at least 4 philosophy ones to meet the course requirements, so that gives you a few modules to play with.
    Hi! When I visited, it seemed very cold and.....clinical. How are you enjoying your time there?

ReputationRep:
    I just got offered a place for the Politics and Philosophy course. Just wondering, can anybody tell me what the timetable looks like over the course of the 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! When I visited, it seemed very cold and.....clinical. How are you enjoying your time there?
    I'm really enjoying it. I can kind of see how you might have found campus a little cold or clinical (though if you're around when there's some sort of election/political event, it gets so lively here) but most people here certainly aren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xchristine)
    I just got offered a place for the Politics and Philosophy course. Just wondering, can anybody tell me what the timetable looks like over the course of the 3 years?
    Do you mean in terms of module choices or just in terms of the actual time you need to spend working?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean in terms of module choices or just in terms of the actual time you need to spend working?
    I suppose both, I guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.