Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc Finance: Cass BS vs Warwick BS Watch

• View Poll Results: MSc Finance at what Business School?
    Cass Business School
    32.43%
    Warwick Business School
    67.57%

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

Currently I am applying for the MSc Finance at Warwick Business School and Cass Business School for postgrad in 2011.
    As I am not from the UK I was wondering what your thoughts are. After I finish my degree I want to work in IB. Does one university have an advantage over the other and why is this the case?
    I know that there are several threads like this one. However, I believe that especially Cass Business School has improved significantly over the last couple of years, so I like to know what the most recent opinion is on this matter.

I found out this from my research:
    Both universities have a CFA partnership and the cost for the MSc Finance is very similar (Cass 21.5k, WBS 20.5k)
    The course content for both degrees are more or less similar.
    In most recent league tables WBS and Cass are very close. http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...l-mba-rankings

Warwick:
    - Has always been regarded very highly
    - more academic approach

Cass:
    - On the uprise (very strong in Finance)
    - more practical oriented
    - strong career center

Hope to hear some your thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Hey man,
    thanks for your feedback.

I havent applied yet. Just finished all the formalities with the references and stuff. Am going to send out the applications tomorrow.
    Do you know what the intake rate at cass for finance is?

I am EU citizen, so the changes in migration law dont apply to me afaik.

ReputationRep:
    cass is 12th in europe and 3rd in uk .. it is also one of the top ten for MBA !!!! i think cass is much better...
    another advantage cass is in central london, near small business centre and i am sure that you will enjoy yourself and your studies in london instead in warwick which is very beautiful but not for studies ...you don't have a lot of choices there...

good luck ...

ReputationRep:
    If you get an offer from Cass and Warwick and turn down Cass. I think you will regret it.

ReputationRep:
    They're both BS. Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, I'd automatically go for Warwick, if only for the assumed 'prestige'. Floppy reason, I know, but there it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    They're both BS. Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, I'd automatically go for Warwick, if only for the assumed 'prestige'. Floppy reason, I know, but there it is.
    i don't think so that warwick is more prestige than cass.. especialy for masters... cass is one of the top business schools in uk, europe ... if we are talking about first degree then i think warick is more prestige but cass is still much better ... warwick has a really good name .. cass is a business school of city university which generally city is not better than warwick .. companies know cass business school and know that is top!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to be biased here but Warwick has a far global reach than Cass has, may that be in the business community or not.

ReputationRep:
    All I will say is I have been to careers fairs at both Warwick and Cass. At Warwick I saw every single one of the bulge bracket banks. At Cass, I only saw one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matheo!)
    i don't think so that warwick is more prestige than cass.. especialy for masters... cass is one of the top business schools in uk, europe ... if we are talking about first degree then i think warick is more prestige but cass is still much better ... warwick has a really good name .. cass is a business school of city university which generally city is not better than warwick .. companies know cass business school and know that is top!!!!!
    I think that they have some good teachers at CASS but the main issue is that they allow everybody in... really the level of the graduates is very low (some don't even speak English fluently) and only a few can secure a job at the city (maybe 15%... metropolitan university has almost the same track record). Warwick is without contest in another league

ReputationRep:
    Considering that you want to go into IB, you should choose Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eduardo002)
    I think that they have some good teachers at CASS but the main issue is that they allow everybody in... really the level of the graduates is very low (some don't even speak English fluently) and only a few can secure a job at the city (maybe 15%... metropolitan university has almost the same track record). Warwick is without contest in another league
    Warwick, obviously higher calibre and perhaps prestige. Only disadvantage of Warwick is the location, but that's only from a practical point of view.
    Not sure about your stats though. The link below certainly suggests more then 15%.

Undergraduate:
    http://www.city.ac.uk/careers/studen...rgraduate.html

Postgraduate
    http://www.city.ac.uk/careers/studen...ss_report.html

Above links suggest a pretty decent placement record given it was at height of the crisis. It won't all be FO, but that's not the point.
    What's your source?

ReputationRep:
    In 2010, Wawick received more than 2326 application for its Msc finance...it's really a large pool of candidate....
    Overall, Warwick business school is superior to Cass, it's a fact...there's no way for comaprison...at least we could compare Warwick with Imperial...not cass it's a joke...Cass is just seeking for tuition and poor candidates who could afford for it...
    Accroding to your statement, you seem to have the ultimate truth cause you said all the people in this forum are wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the insights/tips and lively discussion. I send out my applications to both universities today.
    Just fyi: I personally tend to go to Cass now. I heard a lot of horror stories about the university myself but that was mostly from ppl not studying there. Everyone I know from Cass actually landed a nice job at a company of their likes. Of course Warwick is a great university but I personally prefer studying and living in a city. I did my undergrad course in a big city as well and the external effects are immense. The amount of ppl I met who actually can offer and are willing to offer you a good position at a company is astonishing. And I dont mean just fairs but by going out in bars or clubs. This might sound wierd or stupid to some of you, but networking is just way easier in a city.
    Therefore I think I prefer Cass over Warwick.
    I let you guys know what my final decision is!

Thanks for you input again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    All I will say is I have been to careers fairs at both Warwick and Cass. At Warwick I saw every single one of the bulge bracket banks. At Cass, I only saw one.

i am studying at CASS BUSINESS SCHOOL and this is not true...

ReputationRep:
    Please QUOTE YOUR SOURCES for the number of applicants we can all guess big numbers...more than 2500 for just one msc at cass given the fact that they have several Msc related to finance and that the most popular one which is the Msc mathematical trading and finance receives 1200 application...your number seems :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's a friend of mine freshly graduated from that program who said me that...if i have to choose a program at CASS i will definitely choose that one (Msc mathematical trading and finance)..it's the most regarded and i think that is on par with other Msc's in others schools (Imperial-Warwick and lSE (Msc accounting and finance) not the Msc finance)...it's the one that has the highest placement rate at cass with almost 83% all the others are on the low 60s%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domaster)
    The comments made by Mr. Roxas, Zweihander, and eduardo002 are completely baseless and reflects their ignorance. Let me explain.

Does this statement make any sense to you? "Not trying to be biased here but Warwick has a far global reach than Cass has, may that be in the business community or not." Exactly what field does "outside of the business community" refer to? Cass is a business school so yes if you are comparing chemical engineers then Warwick will be far better because Cass doesn't produce any. If the comparison is Warwick vs City then I'd agree but you are missing the point entirely by lumping Cass into the broad City umbrella. And how would you know about the global reach of Warwick vs Cass? Last time I checked Cass had active alumni associations in every major capital city of the world. UK has a few truly global business schools and Cass is at least on par with Warwick in this respect (I still think somewhat superior) particularly at the postgrad level.

Have a dig around the forums for info on Cass career days and you will find that all major IBs recruit from there. You also need to distinguish between undergrad and masters career events. There is no doubt Warwick is a strong target school for bulge bracket IBs but that's largely due to the attraction of the university's overall prestige at the undergrad level ie maths/economics/sciences majors all get a look in.

Unless if you want to pursue a career in academia, in which case you are much better off considering a MPhil anyway. Look, I'm not bashing Warwick. In fact I think both schools are fine choices but to think of Cass as an inferior school is preposterous.

I work for a global asset management firm and we recruit MBAs from a handful of schools inculding Columbia, Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Insead etc. The only 2 schools that feature from the UK are LBS and yep you guessed it... Cass.
    Quite frankly, I have yet to meet someone who thinks Cass is superior to Warwick Business School, aside from the Cass students, alumni and staff themselves.

Let's be fair. I would readily admit that Warwick is inferior to LSE. All those verifiable data would suggest that LSE is the superior school. Even the perceived reputation of LSE is better than Warwick, and so the better students would rather go for LSE than Warwick, in general. So, even if I'm biased towards Warwick, I also am fair (or at least am trying to), in many ways.

Now Cass.

I believe Cass is a good business school. It's location being in London may be a pulling power for those who'd like to live in a cosmopolitan. That's one of its major assets and a great advantage over WBS or even Oxford and Cambridge. Cass' facilities are also nicer. I have been inside the Cass building and it was brand new and quite impressive. When you try to compare it with the business schools of Bath, Notts, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the like, it does have an edge, reputation-wise, location-wise and facilities-wise, in my opinion. But when you compare it with any of the six (6) core schools of the major banks and top recruiters, I guess it - still - pales in comparison, maybe not substantially, but there is a difference, and the top students know that.

IMHO - why anyone would do a masters level course in a completely irrelevant location like Conventry is beyond me. The networking opps and buzz around London alone is enough to kill off this argument.
    1. When the business school is prestigious and has a good relationship with the business community and corporate world, the employers will go to the school. That is why at WBS there's always a thriving activity of corporate sponsored career placement gathering where top banks, etc attend to recruit top talents. At WBS, this kind of activity is a standard practice and happens not just once in a year but often four times in a year.

2. As you can see, most top business schools are not really in the centre of a major financial district. The top business schools in America, for instance (Harvard, Stanford and Wharton), are not in New York. In fact, Harvard is not in Boston but in Cambridge. Stanford is a farm. It's not in LA. Though is located in the Bay Area, it is still not situated in the heart of San Francisco. And, Stanford was just a deserted, vacuous, dump land before Stanford made it into one of the most expensive lands in the West Coast. And, finally, Wharton is in Philly.

Some of the best business schools are also not situated in a major city. The best example of that is Dartmouth's Tuck. Tuck is in Hanover, New Hampshire. The campus is as bucolic as Warwick and Hanover is not even larger than Coventry. Even INSEAD, France is 34.5 miles from the centre of Paris.

In the US, only Columbia and NYU-Stern are in NYC, and neither one of them is the best business school in that country.

The simple truth about the application process is -- you cannot just knock on the doors of the top banks in London, submit your cv and get a nod right after. The application process at major banks don't often work that way. Most of the time, the persons in-charge/HRD people go to career fairs, visit the top schools which they consider "core schools" where Warwick is one of those, and do the start of the recruitment there.

The comment about the quality of students is also a gross generalisation. Cass requires all its applicants to the MSc in Management and MSc in Finance to take the GMAT. Not so at Warwick. Only schools with excess number of competitive students adopt such stringent rules. Understand that some programmes are obviously easier to get in than others but to say that the students don't speak English is absurd. I'm sure Warwick also has its fair share of mainland China students with primative English skills but fat wallets.
    From experience, I think GMAT is mostly required by business schools that have many applicants from USA, China and India. Cass has many Chinese students and GMAT is perhaps the most acceptably measure of the applicants ability to succeed in a high standard business school such as Cass. Many WBS students are English/British. The Asians at WBS come from all parts of Asia -- from South Asia to Southeast Asia, and East Asia to the Middle East. There are also a lot of students at WBS coming from the EU and the Americans don't have a good representation at WBS.

Another fact about WBS is that is has older students -- many of their students have 8 to 10 years of work experience as opposed to American business schools, and maybe also Cass.

This is just my personal observation, however, so I could be wrong on this. But what I am certain is, it is harder to get into WBS than to get into Cass.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you seem to be wrong again.. I'm really not trying to pick on you.. REALLY!

See data collected by FT: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...ers-in-finance

Clearly the MSc maths trading and finance has employment rate of 64%, lower than finance (73%) and investment management (84%)..
    No you are wrong (it's friendly), just have a look to Cass own Stat, they are more reliable and proper than FT
    http://www.city.ac.uk/careers/studen...ss_report.html
    Msc mathematical trading and finance has by far the best placement rate
    more than 80 %
    Btw, i'm totally agree with what Mr. Roxas said

ReputationRep:
    Hey best of luck with your applications! Both schools will put you in a good position. I also applied to LBS and have an interview with them but I have my fingers crossed for Cass as well.
    Good luck to you as well with LBS. let me know how it works out!

ReputationRep:
    In the context of investment banking, Warwick Masters > Cass Masters for career prospects. Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong. Not sure about the MBA programmes though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.