Edinburgh BBB

all of them ancient history related,

Im a 3rd year student at sixth form.
    I have An A2 in anceint history at A
    AS history as A predicted A
    AS General at A A2 probs will be A
    PE AS C
    Politics A2 C resit to an B in summer.

How likely do you think i will be able to get into my choices particularly Nottingham? Do you think i have enough? Is there any important info i need to do with my applications??:confused:

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh might pose a problem, but you seem suitable for the others - of course, no one can say whether they will or won't reject you, though.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. On your personal statement, references, reasons for taking a third year etc...

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to study Ancient History?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E-glory)

Because it's interesting..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiliee21)
    I'm really worried about my friend getting into uni
    she lives with her head in the clouds alot and applied to ancient history without really thinking about it
    she is smart (predicted an ABB) but she didnt do too well in her AS levels last year (ACDD), she is retaking but it states nowhere on her UCAS form that she is resitting. She's taking English Lit, Maths and Modern History at A level and is applying to:

Warwick (AAB) + an extra C at AS
    Swansea (ABB/BBB) but needs a qualification in either Greek or Latin (she has neither)
    Bristol (AAB)
    Birmingham (ABB)

Ive tried explaining that she should of looked into her courses before applying but now shes applied and shes terrified she wont get any offers
    does anything think she might have a chance of getting an offer from any of her unis ?
    She might have a chance at Birmingham, but I wouldn't bet on the others if I'm honest. There is a period of time where you can change your courses on track, I'm not sure how long it's available (I think 2 weeks, maybe?) and I don't know the ins and outs of it. Check out the UCAS FAQs or phone them up for more info on it - she might have a chance at some more realistic choices.

ReputationRep:

Because it a subject im good at (already have A level at A) its subject ive always been interested and good at, its an intresting subject and single honours ancient history is a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    Conditional from Manchester !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Singleton)
    Because it a subject im good at (already have A level at A) its subject ive always been interested and good at, its an intresting subject and single honours ancient history is a good degree.
    If people can write like you do and get As then I'm getting an A* for sure...

ReputationRep:
    No one can guarantee whether or not you'll get accepted because in the end, it's up to the admissions department. They'll look at your PS and grades but even if they're stellar, it's still up to them. The opinions of people on TSR are hardly a likely indicator of whether or not you'll get an offer. Sorry to burst your bubble but none of us can tell the future, at least not any more than you can.

ReputationRep:
    Conditional from Manchester !!!
    Congratulations on the offer , I am in a similar position but am just retaking a few exams whilst working.

You got an offer from my first choice (providing I get in) What grades do Manchester want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Congratulations on the offer , I am in a similar position but am just retaking a few exams whilst working.

You got an offer from my first choice (providing I get in) What grades do Manchester want?
    ABB is their offer.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Edinburgh may be a problem, but the rest should be fine. I applied there predicted 3A*s and got offers from all my other choices except Edinburgh. Nottingham should be fine. I am currently studying classics there. The department is very welcoming and if you have any questions, feel free to quote me back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Edinburgh may be a problem, but the rest should be fine. I applied there predicted 3A*s and got offers from all my other choices except Edinburgh. Nottingham should be fine. I am currently studying classics there. The department is very welcoming and if you have any questions, feel free to quote me back.

you do classics at nottingham? WOW! :eek:

That will be my first choice and i have a guenuine lifelong interest in the subject.
    One question to ask is have you heard of the "classics prize" now my teacher has nominated me for this due to my efforts in yr 13 and im unsure if he just means the school one (if there is one lol) or THE one is there "A" classics prize?

Also is there an oppertunity to study the hellenistic period in detail in the courses offered at nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    That is unbelievably ignorant and snobby -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    If people can write like you do and get As then I'm getting an A* for sure...
    no one laughed. No one cares, keep smart comments to yourself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    you do classics at nottingham? WOW! :eek:

That will be my first choice and i have a guenuine lifelong interest in the subject.
    One question to ask is have you heard of the "classics prize" now my teacher has nominated me for this due to my efforts in yr 13 and im unsure if he just means the school one (if there is one lol) or THE one is there "A" classics prize?

Also is there an oppertunity to study the hellenistic period in detail in the courses offered at nottingham?
    Then you should be fine if you have put that passion into your statement. I hope to see you at Nottingham then.

It would probably be a school classics prize. I have heard of a nationwide one, but that doesn't mean that there isn't. Either way, well done!

In the first year, you will study some language related stuff (not necessarily learning the language). You will also take modules giving an introduction to the Greek and Roman world. There are some lectures on the Hellenistic period, but a lot of the lectures gives introductions more to the Archaic and Classical period. There is still a lot of info on the Hellenistic period given in lectures though.

Searching here for modules is useful, but I don't know what courses are offered in second or third year yet:

http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac...ain_search.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Then you should be fine if you have put that passion into your statement. I hope to see you at Nottingham then.

It would probably be a school classics prize. I have heard of a nationwide one, but that doesn't mean that there isn't. Either way, well done!

In the first year, you will study some language related stuff (not necessarily learning the language). You will also take modules giving an introduction to the Greek and Roman world. There are some lectures on the Hellenistic period, but a lot of the lectures gives introductions more to the Archaic and Classical period. There is still a lot of info on the Hellenistic period given in lectures though.

Searching here for modules is useful, but I don't know what courses are offered in second or third year yet:

http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac...ain_search.asp
    cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    no one laughed. No one cares, keep smart comments to yourself.
    Obviously you care, or you wouldn't have taken the time to respond - and how do you know that no one laughed?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Planar)
    Obviously you care, or you wouldn't have taken the time to respond - and how do you know that no one laughed?
    If you're not here to give useful advice to this applicant, then please stop posting on this thread. You are deliberately causing trouble. This is a forum for giving advice, not for causing arguments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.