Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who actually likes Biffy Clyro? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this might upset a lot of people and I'm not going out my way to give anyone any hassle but I just wanna say I really don't like Biffy Clyro! It just completely gives me a sore head and I can't spend more than 2 minutes listening to them. I'm a fan of good rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gunz N' Rose, Oasis, Muse etc etc and I just think Biffy Clyro belongs in a vacuum (where sound cannot travel). I have a large variety of musical preferences and I believe that Biffy Clyro is majorly mainstream and "the in thing". . .As a strong individual, I just really wanna know if anyone else shares the same opinion as me (without getting abuse from people who don't share my view).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heavenly Duck)
    I know this might upset a lot of people and I'm not going out my way to give anyone any hassle but I just wanna say I really don't like Biffy Clyro! It just completely gives me a sore head and I can't spend more than 2 minutes listening to them. I'm a fan of good rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gunz N' Rose, Oasis, Muse etc etc and I just think Biffy Clyro belongs in a vacuum (where sound cannot travel). I have a large variety of musical preferences and I believe that Biffy Clyro is majorly mainstream and "the in thing". . .As a strong individual, I just really wanna know if anyone else shares the same opinion as me (without getting abuse from people who don't share my view).
    if you like that kind of rock then you would like Biffy's first set of albums which are a lot better

ReputationRep:
    Listen to their early stuff... so much better than their last two albums!

ReputationRep:
    Interests in any art, in this case music, is all subjective. I respect that you hold your own opinion (and I love that you love RHCP), but I too have an opinion and that is that I Love Biffy Clyro. You can't compare them to bands like the Chilis and GnR because funk rock is hard to compare to alternative rock; different genres, different styles and different generations of music are hard to compare.
    Yes, they are becoming more mainstream, ever since the arrival of Puzzle, but that's because people like them. And I am one of those people; even though my first album from them was Puzzle, I've now bought of all them, listened to them all and thoroughly enjoy their music. If you want to get a different scope of them then listen to their older stuff like Blackened Sky and Infinity Land.

ReputationRep:
    I can take or leave them tbh - They don't offend me in anyway but I don't have them on my spotify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Interests in any art, in this case music, is all subjective. I respect that you hold your own opinion (and I love that you love RHCP), but I too have an opinion and that is that I Love Biffy Clyro. You can't compare them to bands like the Chilis and GnR because funk rock is hard to compare to alternative rock; different genres, different styles and different generations of music are hard to compare.
    Yes, they are becoming more mainstream, ever since the arrival of Puzzle, but that's because people like them. And I am one of those people; even though my first album from them was Puzzle, I've now bought of all them, listened to them all and thoroughly enjoy their music. If you want to get a different scope of them then listen to their older stuff like Blackened Sky and Infinity Land.
    Well I'll compare them to early Foo Fighters then. There stuff is similar in terms of genre but clealry Foo Fighters is so much better!!! I would much prefer to see Foo Fighters than Biffy Clyro, anyone agree? I just think Simon Neil's voice is irritating in many of his songs!

ReputationRep:

Much better than the new mainstream shizzle they are releasing now.

ReputationRep:
    I completely missed their rise to fame. It wasn't long ago I was watching 'Living Is A Problem...' on Scuzz and thinking 'This is pretty average' and no-one had really heard of them outside of the fans they had from the beginning. Now suddenly they're headlining festivals and Simon Cowell is using their song.
    I don't have a problem with them, but I just do understand how they go so popular. they're so... meh...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of good rock bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gunz N' Rose, Oasis, Muse
    lol putting muse and red hot chilli peppers in the category of good rock bands with guns N roses :confused:

ReputationRep:
    they've never excited me enough to listen to more songs.
    that's my only opinion of them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who can't spell Guns N' Roses right must be a troll.

ReputationRep:
    As a recording artist they are much better than many others around at the moment.

They are awesome live too.

I doubt they will become one of the 'greats' but they are certainly churning out better music than a lot of artists around today.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll compare them to early Foo Fighters then. There stuff is similar in terms of genre but clealry Foo Fighters is so much better!!! I would much prefer to see Foo Fighters than Biffy Clyro, anyone agree? I just think Simon Neil's voice is irritating in many of his songs!
    Seeing as Dave Grohl is my hero, Foo Fighters and Nirvana being some of my favourite all time bands, and that they are playing this year in Milton Keynes SUPPORTED BY Biffy Clyro, it's hard to compare the two. Simon Neil has a wonderful and amazing stage presence if you haven't seen Biffy live, and they always make the best effort to vary their music on stage.

ReputationRep:
    I love Puzzle still listen to it, never got into the new one and didn't bother to listen to their older albums, are they any good?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to neg you for having your own opinion on music. I might be a bit pissed if you called then talentless or something, though :p:
    I find it tricky to describe how I feel about Biffy, I know their music is good, but I have to be in a certain sort of mood to be able to listen to it - if I'm in the wrong mood, I just end up skipping past it on my shuffle.

ReputationRep:
    I hate them.

And they have a stupid name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1309)
    I love Puzzle still listen to it, never got into the new one and didn't bother to listen to their older albums, are they any good?
    Arghhh those earlier ones are the best, Puzzle sucks in comparison unless mainstream music is all you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1309)
    Only Revolutions verges on being conventional but it's nonetheless a great album. Their old stuff like Infinity Land and The Vertigo of Bliss have quite hardcore riffs, some screamo if you like that style. And their very first album, Blackened Sky is mixed, some heavy stuff and some soft alternative rock. Personally I like their first album and Puzzle the most. You should give them a listen

ReputationRep:
    Love em from their old to new. Qued up hours with my gf in Glasgow to get right to the front

ReputationRep:
    I DO!

I go against the trend though, I prefer their newer stuff Puzzle/Only Revolutions.

Go and see them live. You'll soon change your mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.