Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey this is a question for c1 edexcel.

This is the quesiton (Im having trouble with i and ii ) :

This my answer

This is their answer

-Okay as you can see my cubic curve intersects my quadractic curve at two places.
    - Their intersects at one place. I have the same working as them, so that bit is fine. Its just the actual sketch. How was i supposed to have know that it intersects at one point?.
    - Would i gain any marks ? Because i still have the individual graphs correct its just that ive shown two intersections when there is only one. I think I would loose all marks because this exercise is about intersections.

What confuses me even more it that they said cubic curves are steeper than quadractic curves so it will intercept:

I feel quite annoyed since i calcuted the intercepts correctly. yet i still somehow managed to get it incorrect.

Please help guys

ReputationRep:
    Yes, x^3 is always steeper than x^2, after a certain point. Maybe you should ask yourself what 'steeper' means in this case... have you done C3 differentiation yet? That would be easier to explain.

Another approach to understand how x^3 and x^2 interact is to plug in the points x = 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc, into the equations y = (x-2)^3 and y = x(x-4) until you have convinced yourself that the first one is always going to be greater than the second one, which would prove that your sketch of them intersecting twice is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)
    What confuses me even more it that they said cubic curves are steeper than quadractic curves so it will intercept.
    This is rubbish. While the first bit is true, 'so it will intercept' is not. Our two situations are different; it all depends on where the cubic and quadratic curves are.

ReputationRep:
    Dream Eater's right - the cubic is steeper than the quartic, but because the positive section of the cubic is already "above" the quadratic, it can't intercept again.

If you have have a question like this in the exam I would do what Dream Eater suggests, and plug some numbers into the equations to get an idea of where the curves are going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schlemmons)
    Dream Eater's right - the cubic is steeper than the quartic, but because the positive section of the cubic is already "above" the quadratic, it can't intercept again.

If you have have a question like this in the exam I would do what Dream Eater suggests, and plug some numbers into the equations to get an idea of where the curves are going.
    "but because the positive section of the cubic is already "above" the quadratic" - can you explain this a little more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)
    "but because the positive section of the cubic is already "above" the quadratic" - can you explain this a little more
    Basically, what's causing you confusion is that the two situations where there is an intercept are not quite the same.

In your graph of the question, looking from the point x=2 onwards, the x^3 starts higher than the x^2 curve, AND it grows faster. So the x^2 curve will never be able catch up.

In the bit you printed out of a book, the x^3 graph actually has a little part that is below the x^2. Well, as it is going to eventually become much bigger than x^2, there must be a point where they cross. See why it is different?

If you don't understand this then I recommend you do what I suggested and just plot about 6 or 7 points until you can convince yourself which way the curves are going -- it doesn't take much more than that. For example:

\text{When }x = 2,   \: (x-2)^3 = 0, \: x(x-4) = -4
    \text{When }x = 3,  \: (x-2)^3 = 1, \: x(x-4) = -3
    \text{When }x = 4,  \: (x-2)^3 = 8, \: x(x-4) =  0
    \text{When }x = 5, \:  (x-2)^3 = 27, \: x(x-4) =  5
    \text{When }x = 6, \:  (x-2)^3 = 64, \: x(x-4) =  12
    \text{When }x = 7,  \: (x-2)^3 = 125, \: x(x-4) = 21

Is it clear now why one is always going to be much bigger than the other?

Thank you for this thread OP. I know I would've done exactly the same mistake.

ReputationRep:
      One solution would be to use simultaneous equations on both to therefore find the points of intersection.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.