Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At sixth form in a year of about 110,120 people there were about 10 people who smoked regularly, yet at uni it seems at least half of people smoke regularly or social smoke. Why do so many people do this? Surely we have grown up in an age where smoking is taboo and we look down on people who do it? It was the case where everyone who smoked in sixth form was looked down on by the rest of us.

I have tried it a few times and it is really nice to smoke every now and again, and I quite like to do so, but I don't often because surely the health problems that result from it aren't worth it? Plus you just completely stink. I was so surprised when I got here and saw how many people actually do smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    At sixth form in a year of about 110,120 people there were about 10 people who smoked regularly, yet at uni it seems at least half of people smoke regularly or social smoke. Why do so many people do this? Surely we have grown up in an age where smoking is taboo and we look down on people who do it? It was the case where everyone who smoked in sixth form was looked down on by the rest of us.

I have tried it a few times and it is really nice to smoke every now and again, and I quite like to do so, but I don't often because surely the health problems that result from it aren't worth it? Plus you just completely stink. I was so surprised when I got here and saw how many people actually do smoke.
    I bet you really stink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    I bet you really stink.
    yep the 3 cigs i have smoked in my entire lifetime probably make me smell really bad all the time, of course, how do i ever get clean! But the ones who smoke all the time always smell terrible and its quite horrible to be near.

ReputationRep:
    You've answered your own question there sunny jim.

Since you don't know anyone at Uni, their backgrounds and what have you, the stigma just isn't there.

As a result more people try it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)

Wow, your sixth form must have been an anomaly because in my sixth form that percentage of people do weed. The numbers that smoke are probably about 50%. We don't all look down on those that smoke. Only the crackheads. It's not a taboo either. Oh and ps. my school has a reputation of being really academic, so it's not like we're not studious. I've probably had about 20 cigs in my life, the majority being when I'm drunk. I'd rather not do it, because it's bad for health. But I wouldn't say its a social taboo..

ReputationRep:
    oh much more people did weed than smoked

ReputationRep:
    I smoke now, but I imagine I will smoke a little MORE at uni, especially just to begin with, just to deal with the new 'alien' environment.
    I suppose some people might also take it up because of newfound freedom, and get hooked. Others might see it as a useful social tool for getting out of awkward situations.

ReputationRep:
    Because smoking makes you cool.

side benefit - you can't smell anything wrong with other smokers anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a relief.

ReputationRep:
    I look down on people who look down on people for smoking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.