The Student Room Group

Out of the education system for 6 years, i want to be an art teacher. Where to start?

Hiya.

I'm 24 and left school at 18 with an A grade A-level i art, B grade a-level in english, C in Media studies and C in general studies.

At the time, continuing in education was not an option for me. I went on to get a job in retail and for the past 5 years have been self employed in childcare. art is my passion though and something i have always continued doing, of my own accord.

What i really want to do is be an art teacher, but i am confused as to where to start? I would like to do a degree in fine art, but do not understand the different types, eg, with or without honours... what does this mean?

Also, i know that when i left school you had to complete a foundation course first. Is this still the case, or could i try to get in on the strength of a portfolio?

Another question which doesn't really fit here but you may be able to help is, does having a bad credit rating effect help with fees, and student loans ect?
I live with my mum and we are a low income family, so i am hoping i will be able to afford uni with the help of student loans, as i do not have savings, nor family who can help me. I want to study close to home, so accommodation would not be an issue.

Thats all for now!
:biggrin:
Reply 1
start with a foundation as its needed for a BA in fine art however i would contact universities directly as they may not ask for a foundation if you have been out of education for so long and may take into consideration any work experience or life experience.

Quick Reply

Latest