Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do i convince my parents to get me a puppy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They say its because of financial reasons we can't get one but i'm sure they're not that expenive?

ReputationRep:
    With insurance, and trust me you need insurance, food, vets bills I used to pay about £40-£50 per month. But there is also a big issue of time. You would be surprised at how much time it takes out of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from food for it, you also have vet bills which can amount easily.

ReputationRep:
    so how much do you expect it would cost a year?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound arsey, but come on, don't be so selfish, if you're parents say they haven't got the money, then they don't have the money... (unless they're lying)
    Dogs are expensive, and also very time consuming.
    Having said that, we don't have a lot of money, but we have a dog, and we get by. Maybe your parents don't want to give up on things for you like i dunno, phones, laptops, holidays, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you cannot invest the time, money, effort and love into keeping a pet, then you shouldn't have one.

ReputationRep:
    If your parents say no, you should respect that. When you live on your own and have the means to support yourself and a dog, get one.

I always wanted a dog, but my dad had always said no, so I left the subject alone. When I moved out of my parents house, my OH and I got two lovely rescue lurchers and, quite frankly although they don't cost the earth, they aren't cheap to keep. They're also a huge, huge responsibility.

How old are you?
    Do you go to school/college every day?
    Who would look after a puppy whilst you're out all day?
    Who would deal with the training and housetraining?
    Who would make sure it would get a decent level of exercise every day?
    Who would pay for everything it needs?
    Who would pay to repair the inevitable damage that a puppy may cause around the house?

ReputationRep:
    You do realise they don't stay puppies forever? And as they get older they can develop illnesses depending on the breed.
    Dogs are time consuming and it isn't fair to expect your parents to look after it while you are at school/university. not if they don't want one in the first place. Puppies in particular need to be trained, and have plenty of interaction. If this doesn't happen they can wreck your house through chewing or going to the toilet in inappropriate places. So Seriously consider all this before getting one, it's not fair on the dog if you get bored after a couple of months.
    Sorry for the little lecture but I know from experience, my dad owns a pet shop/mini zoo and we get animals dumped on us all the time, especially young cats and dogs that just haven't had the time spent with them.

The only thing I can suggest is that you offer to ontribute to the expense, such as buying the food every week out of your own money,

ReputationRep:
    Dogs are expensive to keep; it's not just the up-front purchase of them. Everybody else has said it: Vet bills, all the time, and you'd be surprised how fast you go through dog food - it seems like I'm always buying it!

(Original post by Green_Lantern)
    Apart from food for it, you also have vet bills which can amount easily.
    Off-topic, but your daughter's name is beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    If you cannot invest the time, money, effort and love into keeping a pet, then you shouldn't have one.
    I love the video in your signature! It's brilliant!

(Original post by Quirynn)
    Off-topic, but your daughter's name is beautiful.
    Aw thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Lantern)
    I love the video in your signature! It's brilliant!
    Thank you, I like it too

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you're older and have your own house and money to spend on pets. Don't get stroppy because your parents said no, if they can't afford it, they can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually pets can be very expensive. By you not even knowing this I would say that you shouldn't get a puppy just yet.

ReputationRep:
    Pets are massively expensive. And that's if they don't get ill.

If you want one that much get a job and pay for it yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.