Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Public Support for Students & the Daily Mail Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail has a poll:

Do you still support students after these riots?

At time of posting, 76% say YES and 24% say NO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/polls/index.html

Given that this is the Daily Mail, I was quite surprised to see such a high level of support for students. They even used the word "riots", rather than "protests" and even DM online readers have voted in favour of the students.

What do you make of this?
    Does public support matter anyway?

ReputationRep:
    This was posted on this forum while the poll was still active, probably the reason its so high is because everyone here (except that ****** troll thatcher and its *****es) voted yes. It probably could only have been more skewed if someone went to 4chan and got them to all vote yes as well(which lets face it they'd probs do for the lulz)

ReputationRep:
    It was at 28% Yes 72% no before it got posted on here...

ReputationRep:
    The support would be even higher if the media wasn't so biased in its reporting.

The BBC and sky showed repeating clips of a small minority of protestors breaking windows and the like, yet I bet they won't show the video which shows a police officers dragging a disabled guy from his wheelchair for no reason, or a video (if one ends up coming out) of the guy being hit on the head by the copper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    The support would be even higher if the media wasn't so biased in its reporting.

The BBC and sky showed repeating clips of a small minority of protestors breaking windows and the like, yet I bet they won't show the video which shows a police officers dragging a disabled guy from his wheelchair for no reason, or a video (if one ends up coming out) of the guy being hit on the head by the copper.
    While as I type this, the One Show on BBC1 shows some ridiculously biased piece on the scrapping of EMA grants with absolutely no attempt to offer a balanced viewpoint, like why the government are actually doing it... it's pretty standard to report both sides of an argument, when you report just the one side it becomes biased and unfair, plain and simple

The BBC is notoruiously left wing/anti Tory. Everyone knows this. Just the other day a Radio 4 journalist called a Tory minister a **** live on air and refused to apologise about it afterwards. It'd be funny if the BBC wasn't funded by the licence fee payer, unlike Sky and ITV...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    While as I type this, the One Show on BBC1 shows some ridiculously biased piece on the scrapping of EMA grants with absolutely no attempt to offer a balanced viewpoint, like why the government are actually doing it... it's pretty standard to report both sides of an argument, when you report just the one side it becomes biased and unfair, plain and simple

The BBC is notoruiously left wing/anti Tory. Everyone knows this. Just the other day a Radio 4 journalist called a Tory minister a **** live on air and refused to apologise about it afterwards. It'd be funny if the BBC wasn't funded by the licence fee payer, unlike Sky and ITV...
    Oh come on, that radio thing was just a slip of the tongue, and the presenter corrected themselves right away.

In any case, what I said remains fact. The reporting of the protests was heavily biased against the students. Even the BBC constantly showed the pictures of a small number of people being violent, yet showed nothing about the police actions.

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite amusing when the BBC showed around 20 horses (19, I paused it and counted them) charging into the protest and then said it was about 8.

Also: "Mr Hunt tweeted: "They say prepare for anything before going on Today but that took the biscuit. I was laughing as much as u Jim."" - it was an accident, not an example of militant left wing bias. I do think that on the whole the BBC is mostly impartial. Mostly. And it's better than anything else out there.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, that radio thing was just a slip of the tongue, and the presenter corrected themselves right away.

In any case, what I said remains fact. The reporting of the protests was heavily biased against the students. Even the BBC constantly showed the pictures of a small number of people being violent, yet showed nothing about the police actions.
    You're deluded I'm afraid, that was no 'slip of the tongue' and everyone knows it

The police 'actions' have been shown just as much I think you'll find, in fact, it's generally agreed they've been show disproportionally given it was the Police who were set upon by these yobs, having all manner of things thrown at them, way before it got seriously out of hand in Parliament Square and beyond

It's a pity the left in this country are so up their own arses against the Tories they're having to use students as pawns in this way and students are too stupid to see it. If Labour won the election tomorrow do you think they'd overturn this bill? No, they wouldn't, Ed Miliband even said so after the vote. The alternative is unworkable

ReputationRep:
    It's a pity the left in this country are so up their own arses against the Tories they're having to use the Students as pawns in this way and students are too stupid to see it. If Labour won the election tomoorww do you think they'd overturn this bill? No, they wouldn't, Ed Miliband even said so after the vote. The alternative is unworkable. Fact
    Labour is not The Left, your royal highness.

ReputationRep:
    You're deluded I'm afraid, that was no 'slip of the tongue' and everyone knows it

The police 'actions' have been shown just as much I think you'll find, in fact, it's generally agreed they've been show disproportionally given it was the Police who were set upon by these yobs, having all manner of things thrown at them, way before it got seriously out of hand in Parliament Square and beyond

It's a pity the left in this country are so up their own arses against the Tories they're having to use the Students as pawns in this way and students are too stupid to see it. If Labour won the election tomoorww do you think they'd overturn this bill? No, they wouldn't, Ed Miliband even said so after the vote. The alternative is unworkable. Fact
    1 - your wrong. Fact. It was a slip of the tongue, even the minister in question agrees that it was.

2 - No they haven't been shown. The video of a copper dragging a innocent protestor from his wheelchair for no reason has not been shown by the media. There has been no images or video of the guy who is now in hospital being hit on the head by the copper.

3 - I agree the "yobs" should be dealt with by the police. But the peaceful protestors (of which they were many many more) should be allowed to peacefully protest. Also of a note, it seems as if the police are LYING to parliament. They have said there was no kettle in force on parliament square. That is a blatant lie.

4 - We know we are pawns. The lib dems used us to get into power, then betrayed the very people who voted for them. But at the end of the day, you can say that about any section of society. And I agree, Labour probably won't overturn it. I'm not saying they will.

ReputationRep:
    1 - your wrong. Fact. It was a slip of the tongue, even the minister in question agrees that it was.

2 - No they haven't been shown. The video of a copper dragging a innocent protestor from his wheelchair for no reason has not been shown by the media. There has been no images or video of the guy who is now in hospital being hit on the head by the copper.

3 - I agree the "yobs" should be dealt with by the police. But the peaceful protestors (of which they were many many more) should be allowed to peacefully protest. Also of a note, it seems as if the police are LYING to parliament. They have said there was no kettle in force on parliament square. That is a blatant lie.

4 - We know we are pawns. The lib dems used us to get into power, then betrayed the very people who voted for them. But at the end of the day, you can say that about any section of society. And I agree, Labour probably won't overturn it. I'm not saying they will.
    Hear hear. I have no rep left though.

ReputationRep:

Agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no chance)
    Labour is not The Left, your royal highness.
    Ed Miliband was elected by the many unions who fund Labour I think you'll find, your royal highness. He's as left wing as Kinnock

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband was elected by the many unions who fund Labour I think you'll find, your royal highness. He's as left wing as Kinnock
    Just because the Labour leader is left wing, does not mean the party has yet moved back to the left from the centre ground it occupied under Blair and Brown. It probably will. But not yet. The very fact that as you say, the Unions essentially elected Milliband rather than the party itself suggests that the party is currently further to the centre than the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Not it wasn't! You lie!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like the deluded one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    It was actually 60% yes and 40% now before it was posted here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    It was actually 60% yes and 40% now before it was posted here
    When did you see it? How many topics had been made here by then?

Because the first time I saw it (before it was mentioned here at all so far as I know) it was 28/72). Then I saw it in a post on here and it had shifted to about 40/60.

You must have seen it some time later.

Frankly, I doubt the mail online polls get that much traffic, so it's hardly difficult to rig them, and I doubt this is the only student-rich place it was posted on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.