Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Excuses for being late... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone think of plausible excuses for being numerous hours late to school. Joke replies are expected but a few serious ones are what I'm hoping for ASAP. Bear in mind my school is the type to check with the bus company if you claim your bus broke down (when it really didn't) so your ideas need to be good.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just say I skived and take whatever punishment they give me but I don't really want to do that, especially as I have genuinely skived already this year.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    My dog ate it

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking:

a) your pet raccoon died.

b) you locked yourself out of the house with your school bag still inside.

I have successfully used both before, although admittedly I used the former with a very safe teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor's appointment, legally they can't check if you had one, and if they want to see the appointment card say you left it there, or the appointment was actually before you had to be in but they were a couple of hours late and you had to wait, genuinely happens so good excuse

ReputationRep:
    doctor's/hospital/dentist appointment.

But that might not be that useful if your school is the type to check.

One friend of mine always claims to be late because her cat follows her to school, which is a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    Can anyone think of plausible excuses for being numerous hours late to school. Joke replies are expected but a few serious ones are what I'm hoping for ASAP. Bear in mind my school is the type to check with the bus company if you claim your bus broke down (when it really didn't) so your ideas need to be good.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just say I skived and take whatever punishment they give me but I don't really want to do that, especially as I have genuinely skived already this year.

Cheers.
    My dog ate the train?

I woke up late?

The driver had a heart attack?

You got caught up in an Ash cloud?

You thought it was cancelled due to the snow?

You thought it was National Truancy Day?

You had to attend your pet moths funeral?

ReputationRep:
    You were walking down the street when God spoke to you. So you decide to go to starbucks for a cappucino and a chit-chat.
    (they cant prove he didnt :ninja: if they call you a liar tell them they are discriminating against your religion)

ReputationRep:
    Just say that somebody was ill so you had to wait for somebody else to get there.. obviously can only really use as a one-off excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Use the ash cloud one ^^

ReputationRep:
    I got to use the old "Someone stole my door handle and I can't lock the house*" excuse quite legitimately the other day.
    *Though the reality was I could lock it, I'd just have no way of getting in again

My boss has the old "Someone got in my car whilst my wife was sat in the passenger seat and tried to drive it off" excuse more recently, which is a cracker if you ask me.

My personal favourite which no one questions - "I ate dodgy chicken and or prawns last night from x restaurant and cannot leave the toilet".

ReputationRep:
    Regarding doctors appointments, I was going to say that (I even forged a note from my parents) but they had already rung home by that point and obviously my mum would have said if I had an appointment or not (which I didn't). Thanks for the idea though, keep them coming.

ReputationRep:
    "I had to administer valium to my Labradoodle"
    No joke, it worked.

I was up all night trying to solve one of the Millennium Prize Problems.

ReputationRep:
      You had a massive argument with your mum which resulted in you being really upset and you needed a while to calm down before going to school. Tough luck if they check with your mum...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gemma :)!)
      Just say that somebody was ill so you had to wait for somebody else to get there.. obviously can only really use as a one-off excuse.
      This isn't bad. However, I was around 2 hours late (don't ask lol) so would they really buy the idea that I helped an ill person for that long?

(Original post by mikeyd85)
      I got to use the old "Someone stole my door handle and I can't lock the house*" excuse quite legitimately the other day.
      *Though the reality was I could lock it, I'd just have no way of getting in again

My boss has the old "Someone got in my car whilst my wife was sat in the passenger seat and tried to drive it off" excuse more recently, which is a cracker if you ask me.

My personal favourite which no one questions - "I ate dodgy chicken and or prawns last night from x restaurant and cannot leave the toilet".
      Nice! I might tell my mum that and say I didn't tell the school because it was embarrassing. Hopefully my mum will then give me an excuse of her own to use. I'm not proud of my lateness and the lying that is following the lateness BTW, it's quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lizlaz350)
      doctor's/hospital/dentist appointment.

But that might not be that useful if your school is the type to check.

One friend of mine always claims to be late because her cat follows her to school, which is a bit odd.
      I have got to try that one out!

The last time I was late th excuse i gave was that my little brother stuck a crayon up his nose and it broke in half...and it was legitimate.
      But maybe you could still use it.

ReputationRep:
      Got stopped by the police.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oh-my-diddy)
      My dog ate the train

You got caught up in an Ash cloud?

You had to attend your pet moths funeral?
      LMAO

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fandabidoze!)

Cheers.

do you not have a legit reason for being so late? im curious now!

doctors app is always a good excuse, tell them you forgot to get a note but that you will get one as soon as you can (then just keep forgetting til they forget too!)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
      I have got to try that one out!
      Haha, she always seems to get away with it, so it's worth a try xD

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.