Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are conservative party members human? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just watched a live Q and A session with the Home Secretary, Teresa May, making statements about the student protests and have to say I am stunned by the display of illogical emotion I witnessed.

Apart from perhaps two MPs - not one person stated, addressed or asked why these protests have taken place.

I overestimated these individuals' propensities for compassion. I don't even know where to start to describe what I mean. It is as though these people believe they are legitimate representatives of the people, having the mandate of the people, even after they've been shown that nothing can be further from the truth!

The argument being put forward is that a hard core of violent activists infiltrated peaceful protests in order to perpetrate criminal acts! I mean, what kind of mentality would rationalize things in this way?

This so called hard core of trouble makers exists? Where are they then? What makes them suddenly appear? Where were they during the Blair/Brown years? According to the Tories, and even if you ask me, I'd say there was plenty of reason for angry protest under the last government, and yet we did not see this level of animosity.

Teresa.

You need to ask yourself a simple question.

Why is this happening?

ReputationRep:
    No they're actually cyborgs from the planet Zarg out to invade us.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we are all farmers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme More)
    It is as though these people believe they are legitimate representatives of the people

That's the idea of a government..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrydanmarin)
    That's the idea of a government..
    Don't you think it would help if they represented people instead of demons?

ReputationRep:
    Are conservative party members human?
    No, we're extraterrestrials.

ReputationRep:
    I just watched a live Q and A session with the Home Secretary, Teresa May, making statements about the student protests and have to say I am stunned by the display of illogical emotion I witnessed.

Apart from perhaps two MPs - not one person stated, addressed or asked why these protests have taken place.

I overestimated these individuals' propensities for compassion. I don't even know where to start to describe what I mean. It is as though these people believe they are legitimate representatives of the people, having the mandate of the people, even after they've been shown that nothing can be further from the truth!

The argument being put forward is that a hard core of violent activists infiltrated peaceful protests in order to perpetrate criminal acts! I mean, what kind of mentality would rationalize things in this way?

This so called hard core of trouble makers exists? Where are they then? What makes them suddenly appear? Where were they during the Blair/Brown years? According to the Tories, and even if you ask me, I'd say there was plenty of reason for angry protest under the last government, and yet we did not see this level of animosity.

Teresa.

Why is this happening?
    Almost a million people protested against the Iraq war, that's a bit more than this level of animosity.

A few thousand students rioting and you think they suddenly don't represent the population? The population isn't just made up of students, and many people agree with the the reforms.

ReputationRep:
    No:nah:

ReputationRep:
    You could ask the same of Labour party members - but in terms of intelligence rather than morality.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it would help if they represented people instead of demons?
    They represent a lot of people.

Just because you don't agree with them, that doesn't mean noone does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Almost a million people protested against the Iraq war, that's a bit more than this level of animosity.

A few thousand students rioting and you think they suddenly don't represent the population? The population isn't just made up of students, and many people agree with the the reforms.
    Two million people actually, and yet where was this "small minority of anarchists" who hijack mass protests in order to inflict arbitrary damage on the political infrastructure?

Well?

Where were they?

Perhaps it's time you Tories started actually thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I am stunned by the illogical post I have witnessed.

Two does count as one person, if it helps think of it as one person and then an extra person.

And as for addressing why the protests are taking place, you're right, they are clearly overestimating the intelligence of those watching the debate....

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to agree with the Conservative party line, but it is true that a lot of the people who caused damage and incited violence at the protests were 'anarchists' and people who just went along to cause trouble.
    The SWP aren't renowned for their peaceful participation in democracy at rallies such as the student protests...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    They represent a lot of people.

Just because you don't agree with them, that doesn't mean noone does
    So let me understand this.

Greedy people should make fiscal policy for poor people in a civilized country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    You could ask the same of Labour party members - but in terms of intelligence rather than morality.
    You may not respond in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morematterlessartx)
    I am stunned by the illogical post I have witnessed.

Two does count as one person, if it helps think of it as one person and then an extra person.

And as for addressing why the protests are taking place, you're right, they are clearly overestimating the intelligence of those watching the debate....

At least they understand the meaning of basic words like "perhaps..."

Plus they comprehend basic sentence structure and correct syntax!!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Because the debate on tution fees has taken place in the house already. Tjhere is no reason to go over them again

They do have a mandate from the people thats how they became MP's jackass.

Because thats what happened? Or would you rather the government claim that all students are violent thugs?

Did you see the G20 riots? YEah that was them.

Teresa.

Why is this happening?
    Your a ****. You seem to have completely missed the massive debate that took place in the house. On the day of the tution fee rise and in the weeks before. You also have a massive misunderstanding of the political system of this country.

Really you've just written some rambling rant about the government with an emotive meaningless title.

ReputationRep:
    They're scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Wow, this is the first time I've ever given you positive rep. What is the world coming to?

ReputationRep:
    So let me understand this.

Greedy people should make fiscal policy for poor people in a civilized country?
    Interesting ot to that from what I wrote, but whatever

No, not greedy people, realists.
    Economic Policy should be based on what's best for the country in the long term, not what a few spoilt children want now. Or money grabbing adults.

The Tories arn't Labour, they're not going to bring in stupid policies to get everyone's votes. They're the types that try to cut the deficit, rather than giving away free laptops to scroungers, or setting up a scheme to keep unemployment figures lower. (EMA )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.