Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to say about dropping out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing my personal statement at the moment; this is my second attempt (I did a term at uni but dropped out) and I'm trying to find out how much detail I have to go into when explaining why I dropped out.
    Also, does anyone know if the uni you're applying to will check up with the uni you dropped out of? Because I didn't really leave in good grace, and if they do I'm buggered - so i'm weighing up whether it would be best to get it all out in the open and say that I really f*cked it up but have now found a course on which i wont make the same mistake, or to just lie and say I completed a year and that the university and I parted amicably. Or to just not mention it at all and say I've had 2 gap years.
    Anyone been/is in this situation? Advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    aaaanyone?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can't not mention it or lie, as they have ways of finding out the truth. So you must include it in the education section.

However, it's up to you whether you write about it in your personal statement. If you do, you should concentrate on the positive aspects and emphasise why you're sure the new course is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    i've just been through the exact same thing! this is what i wrote:
    "Having previously attended university for a year and achieving good grades for the work I produced I know I am fully able to cope with a large workload and working to deadlines sufficiently."
    that's the only time i mentioned it in my statement!

ReputationRep:
    Turn it into something positive. Just say "having experienced university for a short while previously, I was able to discover my real passion in life" or something like that..

ReputationRep:
    You can't pretend you've never attended university because you have to include it on the Education section of UCAS (omitting information can get your application cancelled and offers withdrawn). You also can't pretend you completed the year because the university is very likely to want to see your results and what will you do if they ask for transcripts? It'll be obvious in a second that you lied. You don't actually have to talk about dropping out in your PS (they'll know that from the Education section anyway), but if you do decide to discuss it then you should focus on the positive aspects of your university experience and how that can help you in your future studies.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it short and to the point, don't waste valuable space on your PS about the details.

I put something like this....

"I previously studied xxxxxxxxx at university, I feel I made a mistake in my course selection and after taking the time to assess my options carefully I decided to leave my studies to pursue a career in Physiotherapy"

I changed it so it's not what is actually in the PS, but it's about the same length with the same level of detail.

ReputationRep:
    I just said on mine that I was 'leaving my current university for personal reasons' and they never asked a thing. Pretty sure they never contacted my old uni or anything, so I wouldn't worry about that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.