Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

XP REINSTALLATION - how do i save my data? Watch

ReputationRep:
    can't get past a black screen after starting my computer up due to an error message which is stopping services.exe, lsass.exe and winlogon.exe starting as they can't find ole32.dll
    already tried repair install but the CD doesn't seem to have this 1 file. so i've bitten the bullet and decided i need to reinstall, but i have a lot of files on this hard drive that i can't afford to lose. how can i transfer them? i have 2 other (working) computers, plus a laptop in the house, aswell as a 160gb portable harddrive (the harddrive on the broken computer is only 160gb too!)

will give +rep to anyone that can provide user friendly step-by-step instructions, or provide a link.

went to an IT shop, and they wanted £70 to do this for me, when i can probably do it myself.

also, please don't link me to a site where you can download .dll's as i can't get past the black screen.
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Two options (I'd try the 2nd one first):
    -Take the hard drive out and stick it in another computer. You'd need to connect up the SATA (or possibly IDE?) data and power cables, then make sure the computer's set to boot from the normal hard drive, boot up as usual and the drive should be there for you to get your data out
    -Boot up into another OS from a CD on the current computer (I wold suggest ubuntu as it's easy to use and generally has good drivers and community support). Download the OS, which will be in the form of an ISO, and burn it to a CD (can also stick it on a USB drive). Go into the BIOS (by pressing F2 or delete or similar as the computer boots... there should be a message when you turn the computer on), and set the CD drive to have first boot priority, save the change you've made then boot up from the CD. Don't install anything, just choose the option to try it out and you should be able to get to a desktop with fairly familiar menus etc, and the hard drive should be there under 'places'. Saving your stuff should be simple from there. If ubuntu doesn't work, there are plenty of other OS's that allow you to boot from a CD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    Two options (I'd try the 2nd one first):
    -Take the hard drive out and stick it in another computer. You'd need to connect up the SATA (or possibly IDE?) data and power cables, then make sure the computer's set to boot from the normal hard drive, boot up as usual and the drive should be there for you to get your data out
    -Boot up into another OS from a CD on the current computer (I wold suggest ubuntu as it's easy to use and generally has good drivers and community support). Download the OS, which will be in the form of an ISO, and burn it to a CD (can also stick it on a USB drive). Go into the BIOS (by pressing F2 or delete or similar as the computer boots... there should be a message when you turn the computer on), and set the CD drive to have first boot priority, save the change you've made then boot up from the CD. Don't install anything, just choose the option to try it out and you should be able to get to a desktop with fairly familiar menus etc, and the hard drive should be there under 'places'. Saving your stuff should be simple from there. If ubuntu doesn't work, there are plenty of other OS's that allow you to boot from a CD.
    I'd agree with going for the second option, and say do not try the first option at all - if this is caused by a virus, then you risk infecting the computer you put the hard disk into with the same virus; then you're two systems down.

Download a live CD for something like Ubuntu, stick it in, boot from CD, backup your data to a USB stick or similar (making sure not to copy any viral data - just your work and important stuff is best), then clean install Windows.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a Dell by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I'd agree with going for the second option, and say do not try the first option at all - if this is caused by a virus, then you risk infecting the computer you put the hard disk into with the same virus; then you're two systems down.

Download a live CD for something like Ubuntu, stick it in, boot from CD, backup your data to a USB stick or similar (making sure not to copy any viral data - just your work and important stuff is best), then clean install Windows.
    Made this recommendation in another thread, Its the best way I'd say =] Ubuntu is the most reliable though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    Is it a Dell by any chance?
    x
    x
    nah it was custom built by a local computer shop.

i tried installing ubuntu onto my portable hard drive but when i made it boot from it, it just came up with 'disk read error. press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart'
    i followed the instructions on the site.
    downloaded it, downloaded the installer, and installed it onto the G: drive (portable HD)
    am i missing something?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to install it anywhere, you can boot from the CD itself (if you have a CD/DVD drive?). When you say you installed it, was that with unetbootin?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to install it anywhere, you can boot from the CD itself (if you have a CD/DVD drive?). When you say you installed it, was that with unetbootin?
    i don't have any spare CDs round the house, so i used a USB drive? i used the universal USB install that is downloadable on ubuntu's website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    i don't have any spare CDs round the house, so i used a USB drive? i used the universal USB install that is downloadable on ubuntu's website
    Did you follow the instructions for downloading the universal USB file, as well as the ISO, and then running the .exe to setup your USB stick as a bootable device with the ISO?

ReputationRep:
    Did you follow the instructions for downloading the universal USB file, as well as the ISO, and then running the .exe to setup your USB stick as a bootable device with the ISO?
    i think so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    i think so?
    Providing you followed those instructions fully, then the only other thing I can think of straight away is that you'll need to set the boot order in your BIOS, and include booting from a USB device.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there's another USB device it's trying to boot from?

ReputationRep:
    I used my friend's computer earlier to plug in my hard drive, and then used the software on the portable HD (its an automatic backup hard drive) it copied all the files from my hard drive. currently reformatting the old hard drive and will install soon. thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm too late, but I would always recommend that PCs have two partitions - one for the System and one for Data.

The System partition should contain the Windows installation and all the programs - for XP, I'd have it about 30Gb. All the data (eg 'My Documents' etc) goes on the other partition.

That way, if ever you need to reinstall, you can just reformat and reiinstall your System partition and all the stuff on your data partition is completely safe and untouched.

The only other alternative I would suggest is to just go out and buy a second hard disk and slam it in as the data drive. If you have just 160Gb in now and you have enough space for a second hard disk, that seems like the best option to me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.