The Student Room Group

Way too soft

I hate being so nice all the time but I can't help it - and this is what makes me an easy target. I am always constantly laughed (or I think I always am laughed at).

I seriously don't know how to react to these people. Ignoring them brings problems because it just seems like they're just going to keep taunting me. i've attempted wisecracks but they haven't worked, they usually backfire. Ive tried laughing it off but I've been called stupid for sitting there and not reacting. and the times ive reacted, I've been stupidly angry.

how can I stop being like this? I reckon the same thing is gonna happen to me in University and carry on throughout my whole life!
Reply 1
You just need to be more assertive. Don't let people take you for a mug but at the same time don't take things too seriously - sure, its a hard balance to strike but you need to give people the impression that they can't take you for a joke. I'm sure things at Uni will be fine - perhaps theres an element of paranoia playing a part in this as well.
At first I thought this was going to be a rant about ED. Whew.

Anyway, like the above post said, just try to be assertive and not accept all requests you are given. Practice saying no to small favors, then move on to real assertiveness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending