Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been an active user of this forum for a while now, with this being my first registered post and I'm hoping you could give some advice from your own experiences.

I am studying 4 AS levels

1. Photography
    2. BTEC Level 3 IT Practitioners
    3. Business Studies
    4. Ancient History

The one that concerns me is History. I love the other 3 and can cope with their work as it is mainly coursework based and are topics I enjoy. I own a business outside of 6th Form and took the top 3 mainly focusing on things I wanted to do. History was the choice as to fill my four options.

I got a C at GCSE History but A's in the coursework. (the exams brought it down).

AS level is a lot harder but that is to be expected but I took it as I thought I would be interested in what I have been learning. I have been, yet the work load is intense and stressful.

I have been considering dropping it, but the school want me to really think about it...

I don't know what to do.

Thanks Guys.
    George.

ReputationRep:
    You're best off continuing with it for now and see how well you do in your January exams. I felt exactly the same as you last year when I did Maths as I enjoyed it at GCSE but the jump to AS was too stressful with the other heavy subjects I picked.

If your results are not as good as you would have liked you could consider a resit or have a serious discussion with your tutor about dropping the subject. They allowed me to do an alternative course when I dropped Maths, but as long as you are doing well in your other subjects most unis only want three A-levels anyway.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EKR93)
    You're best off continuing with it for now and see how well you do in your January exams. I felt exactly the same as you last year when I did Maths as I enjoyed it at GCSE but the jump to AS was too stressful with the other heavy subjects I picked.

If your results are not as good as you would have liked you could consider a resit or have a serious discussion with your tutor about dropping the subject. They allowed me to do an alternative course when I dropped Maths, but as long as you are doing well in your other subjects most unis only want three A-levels anyway.

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the advice EKR93.

History is one of the subjects that doesn't have January exams and focuses largely on the exams in June. In a way this is nice as it provides a more relaxing Christmas but by June the AS is practically over.

The essays concern me, I find I sit and stare not knowing where to start with these essays. Whereas G.C.S.E I was flying, even if it wasn't quite to standard in the exam. With 50% being one large essay worth 45 marks and the rest made up of smaller essays my other problem is time management. I often see myself starting one question and spending far far too long on it.

Arg!!

I will sit it out a while longer, I had always planned to. It's a shame as I love the content. And if it came down to dropping the subject I would miss out on the facts that I enjoy. Perhaps the tutors would allow me to sit in on the subjects? - interesting one to ask I suppose.

Thanks.

Any other advice?

George.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.