Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would You Rather Work In The Public Or Private Sector? Watch

• View Poll Results: Public Or Private
    Public
    45.45%
    Private
    54.55%

ReputationRep:
    What do you deem to be a better sector to have a career in? Public or Private and for what reasons? Do you think there are any differences between people who work in either areas and would you like your friends/partner to work in a particular one.

I for one would rather work in the private sector as it seems more interesting to me and I also don't want a job where I have to answer to the fools in parliament, I certainly don't want them controlling my paycheck...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the public sector generally has far more red tape, so that could get annoying. I heard about an IT company that charge the NHS more than private companies because of all the bureaucracy they have to work around.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say public sector as it seems that those with a 2:2 (like myself) seem to find looking for work a lot easier than those looking in the private sector.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Public. Higher wages better pension plan.

ReputationRep:
    Private. Then at least you won't have to worry that your job will be cut by the stupid tories

ReputationRep:
    Having worked in both I'd say the Public sector. The earnings ceiling is much lower but I find the atmosphere much better. I don't feel like people are out to get me in the public sector!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what for, but mostly the private sector. This countries public sector is already too big :P we need some more wealth-creation.

ReputationRep:
    I will never work in the public sector, ever. I could never live with myself knowing that I was a parasite.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.