Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its only number 31 according to the complete University guide!
    Which is surprising considering it is the UK's most popular university, with more applicants than any other uni..
    Moreso Ive heard so many good things from people that have visited the Uni, amd current students.

It also rates highly in the International league tables!
    So the Q is, Why is it so low in the league tables? Has it just missed out to greater competition from other Uni's or is it really not that great as everyone makes it out to be?

Just Curious x

ReputationRep:
    Well MMU's the second most popular and that's way down in the 90s. League tables only reflect snob appeal.

ReputationRep:
    It has the most applicants because it's the biggest non-collegiate university in the UK, apparently.
    It's probably going to be my firm choice when I get to that stage, not overly bothered about league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's a mediocre university for a lot of courses. No offense.

ReputationRep:
    Because it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Because it sucks.
    Really?! ****. Please elaborate?
    Or does it 'suck' in comparison to Oxbridge?
    Or just bog standard sucks
    And foremostly, Why
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Because it sucks.
    Please elaborate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdaprice*)
    Please elaborate
    I shall answer for him

BECAUSE...he/she has not a clue what they're on about

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    What course are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because its reputation remains high whilst its actual quality has declined slightly? Maybe because other universities have improved to eclipse its quality.

But then, maybe you should ignore tables because they're pretty gay.

Because it doesn't do too well under a certain newspaper league table's methodology. That doesn't make it any less of a university. Nobody actually cares about them, apart from unenlightened sixth form students.

ReputationRep:
    well when I went up to Manchester for my biology interview, the admissions lady said that basically certain departments are pretty crap (to be fair, she didn't name any in particular) whereas the life sciences department is ranked like third out of all the universities in England. I would look more at tables regarding where your specific subject is ranked rather than the uni overall

ReputationRep:
    Ignore league tables , it's obvious on visiting these places which Universities are good and which are not so good. Everyone knows that Manchester outranks many of the Universities below it in that table (yes I'm looking at you Aston and Buckingham).
    Don't take notice of league tables, visit them if you love the University go, if not never return!

ReputationRep:
    A combo of the slightly eccentric criteria used by the compilers of these lists and the fact that putting things that are very close together into an ordinal list exaggerates the distance between them.

Print in black and white and it looks like it's some sort of Gospel.

I think it'd be fun for the papers to put the tables onto an app and let you play with the weightings using slider controls to see how the lists jump around.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are inconsistent and unreliable (it's ranking 50th in this year's Guardian league table!).

They change dramatically every year. It's a fantastic university - don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    A combo of the slightly eccentric criteria used by the compilers of these lists and the fact that putting things that are very close together into an ordinal list exaggerates the distance between them.

Print in black and white and it looks like it's some sort of Gospel.

I think it'd be fun for the papers to put the tables onto an app and let you play with the weightings using slider controls to see how the lists jump around.
    Quite sure some online rankings let you do that :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it's only employers related to law & economics that care about league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Quite sure some online rankings let you do that :ninja:
    cool! - got any links?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbygreg)
    Ignore league tables , it's obvious on visiting these places which Universities are good and which are not so good. Everyone knows that Manchester outranks many of the Universities below it in that table (yes I'm looking at you Aston and Buckingham).
    Don't take notice of league tables, visit them if you love the University go, if not never return!
    Whats wrong with Buckingham ?
    Im not having a go or anything, its just that ive applied to there and I'm very curious to know about it as practically nothing is said about it

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with Buckingham as an institution and I'm sure it'll grow in the years to come, but to place it up in the top 20 / 25 is a massive overestimation of what they've been able to achieve in the limited time its been up and running and the niche of having 2 year degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.