Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was just checking over my UCAS application form, which should be getting sent tomorrow and Business/HR BA Hons has gone up from 260 points to 300!!! Since last month?? So gutted Had to change my course, has this happened to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently this is happening in a few other unis, it's probably because the tuition fees are going up and there could be a rush of students wanting to go to uni whilst the fees are still capped instead of taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    That's horrible, but understandable. They should notify you beforehand or something, or just not be allowed to change it this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have seen it happening with other people. I feel quite lucky now thinking how easily I got in :/

On the other hand, this a way for the university to sort of raise its standards/climb the leagues, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GBateman)
    That's horrible, but understandable. They should notify you beforehand or something, or just not be allowed to change it this year.
    The stuff that gets listed in the prospectus and the website is only a typical offer anyway. If they find they are getting a lot of people over the points level applying they can't really be expected to stick to the points advertised or the course would get over subscribed.

ReputationRep:
    It is usually for lower rank uni's only asking for a high grade, to try gain smart people...

My uni asks for BBB yet most people don't have that.

My insurance was less than BBB they didn't take me.

ReputationRep:
    Points have gone up for my course to 320 because the average points of students attending this year was 340 when our entry requirement was 300. Nothing to do with trying to restrict numbers due to finances etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    It is usually for lower rank uni's only asking for a high grade, to try gain smart people...

My uni asks for BBB yet most people don't have that.

My insurance was less than BBB they didn't take me.
    I don't think this really applies to Hertfordshire anymore though because now they actually stick to it! Like they use to have offers of 260 and even if you had 200 you had a chance of getting in but now they decline everyone that doesn't reach the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I don't think this really applies to Hertfordshire anymore though because now they actually stick to it! Like they use to have offers of 260 and even if you had 200 you had a chance of getting in but now they decline everyone that doesn't reach the offer.

It sucks!!
    I have now had to change my course, but the points are still high ..280! and I am only predicted 260 !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazee')
    It sucks!!
    I have now had to change my course, but the points are still high ..280! and I am only predicted 260 !!!
    You could still get an offer if your personal statement is really good or you have a lot of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKGB)
    You could still get an offer if your personal statement is really good or you have a lot of work experience.
    ah thank you, I do hope so ! :-)

ReputationRep:
    There is sooo many more students applying this year because of the raise in tuition next year

like those that previously wanted a gap year, mature students, international students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I applied to QM, they were asking for ABB but dropped it to BBB, think that was what was asked before. City in my time was aking for CCB I think and increased it to BBB or more.

Brunel was asking for BBC, in the past they used to ask for lower but now it is BBB and getting tough to get into. My uni asks for BBB but it is only for good impressions, to try gain smart people or those who are international or possibly with better grades. As it is in the city and in a nice location, people actually have fallen for it, thinking it is a good uni because it asks for such high grades so even if they are of a high standard they apply and think it is an OK uni.

Usually lower ranked uni's do this tactic to sieve higher standards, it somewhat works tbh; and would look better when you apply for jobs etc that they asked for high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    I applied to QM, they were asking for ABB but dropped it to BBB, think that was what was asked before. City in my time was aking for CCB I think and increased it to BBB or more.

Brunel was asking for BBC, in the past they used to ask for lower but now it is BBB and getting tough to get into. My uni asks for BBB but it is only for good impressions, to try gain smart people or those who are international or possibly with better grades. As it is in the city and in a nice location, people actually have fallen for it, thinking it is a good uni because it asks for such high grades so even if they are of a high standard they apply and think it is an OK uni.

Usually lower ranked uni's do this tactic to sieve higher standards, it somewhat works tbh; and would look better when you apply for jobs etc that they asked for high grades.
    I'm sure there is a whole strategy behind and of course ALL 'low rank' university try to climb up a few places, I mean if they didn't care at all they might as well close at herts last year they had so many applicants in general that pretty much everyone (85%) who didn't get enough ucas point got rejected. Herts is more serious about it now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.