Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cold and flu - why worse at night? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that every time I have a cold or the flu in the last few years it always gets a lot worse at night.

Yesterday I was quite bad in the day, but by about 7 o clock I was awful with the flu, and I was aching all over, shaking uncontrollably and having mild hallucinations and vision was going wierd, all the hairs on my body were standing up on end, as well as the usual huge headache, sore throat and blocked nose and it was the worst I had felt in years.

Today I have felt quite a bit better, just normal sore throat, headache and blocked nose and mild aching but now its starting to get late I notice I'm feeling worse again. Does this happen with everyone, or am I just wierd lol?

ReputationRep:
    anyone know why this is?>

ReputationRep:
    I would hazard a guess that you're not drinking enough during the day and the dehydration is making your symptoms worse. Your immune system is probably able to function more effectively when you're not physically active too.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're talking about.

Probably a few reasons.. At night when you go to bed, it kind of changes things because you're well.. in a bed,lol. So you start coughing more etc. Because the air pressure changes. Everything changes when you're laying down. My head often starts hurting more because of the sinuses etc.

You're more tired... so it makes you feel worse.

Less distractions maybe. You're more aware of how you feel.

Less production of certain hormones at night. Fighting off disease takes its toll on your body. Your natural defense is weaker.

Body temperature increases slightly in the evening.

Dehydration (perhaps)

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with above. I was meant to be in training this week but I ended up with flu; mornings (dehydration) and night times are the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)

Probably a few reasons.. At night when you go to bed, it kind of changes things because you're well.. in a bed,lol. So you start coughing more etc. Because the air pressure changes. Everything changes when you're laying down. My head often starts hurting more because of the sinuses etc.

Less production of hormones at night. Fighting off disease.

Body temperature increases slightly at night.

Dehydration (perhaps)
    :rofl: at Morgana in your sig. :mwuaha:

How did you find Merlin's final episode?

ReputationRep:
    i think it is because you can like sneeze,cough blow your nose or whatever whenever you 'like' but at night you have to wake up. Also the washing powder in your sheets agrivates you nasal passage and therefore your senses are more prone to sneeze etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    :rofl: at Morgana in your sig. :mwuaha:

How did you find Merlin's final episode?
    Haha.I love Smirkana/Morgana

I loved it! A little rushed, but I did love it. Now.. I can't wait until 2012 for series 4. Blasted Doctor Who..( Nothing against that,more BBC I guess.. stupid schedule).. Waiting just a week is torture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahhx)
    i think it is because you can like sneeze,cough blow your nose or whatever whenever you 'like' but at night you have to wake up. Also the washing powder in your sheets agrivates you nasal passage and therefore your senses are more prone to sneeze etc.
    but its before i go to bed generally, about 6-8 i just start feeling worse, but yeah in bed is definitely the worst

ReputationRep:
    Haha.I love Smirkana/Morgana

I loved it! A little rushed, but I did love it. Now.. I can't wait until 2012 for series 4. Blasted Doctor Who..( Nothing against that,more BBC I guess.. stupid schedule).. Waiting just a week is torture!
    :laugh: I really liked it, but somehow it was just too easy for Arthur and Merlin. Glad to see Uther finally on his knees.

I know - a long wait for the next series, I'm afraid. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    but its before i go to bed generally, about 6-8 i just start feeling worse, but yeah in bed is definitely the worst
    then its mabey like you've used all your energy therefore you feel crap as a result and if you use the shower at night it maakes it 1000 times worse people say its makes it better but thats a lie

ReputationRep:

Less production of certain hormones at night. Fighting off disease takes its toll on your body.

Body temperature increases slightly in the evening.

Dehydration (perhaps)
    You sound like a smart girl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3ER)
    You sound like a smart girl!
    I don't know if that's sarcasm,haha. But thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    :laugh: I really liked it, but somehow it was just too easy for Arthur and Merlin. Glad to see Uther finally on his knees.

I know - a long wait for the next series, I'm afraid. :sigh:
    I still wonder how they got into the castle so easily. :laugh: Yes, finally! Uther no longer thinks the sun shines out of Morganas arse. That was quite annoying.

Yes, horribly long. It's way too long, they should have thought of something else. I was excited like a 5 year old the night before Christmas when series 3 started again! It felt like I had waited a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahhx)
    then its mabey like you've used all your energy therefore you feel crap as a result and if you use the shower at night it maakes it 1000 times worse people say its makes it better but thats a lie
    Thats quite interesting, I normally do that if I'm ill, and it works miracles for hangovers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.